Why are you guys majoring in biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vespertilio

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Serious question, why?

I just got accepted into a bio program, but I'm wondering why other people are. Is it because that is your main interest?

Is it so you're better prepared for the MCAT?

Is it so you're better prepared for med school since they'll have similar material (I Think)?

Why not major in something else that is also a good back up degree in-case the med field doesn't work out?

Is it because it's easy?

Members don't see this ad.

yes to all of your questions
easier major = higher gpa
also i will add -
- easier oportunity to find research oportunities
- flexible degree requirements
majoring in other field is not viable for me since I am hellbent on going to professional schools.

I majored in math because I figured it would be useful if I don't get into medical school. I haven't been able to take any useful classes so my degree is going to be useless in the "real world" and on top of that I've come to disdain certain fields of mathematics. If I could go back in time, I would major in biology. It's interesting, it's good MCAT preparation, and, for the most part, it's easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because all my friends were doing it.

yes to all of your questions
easier major = higher gpa
also i will add -
- easier oportunity to find research oportunities
- flexible degree requirements
majoring in other field is not viable for me since I am hellbent on going to professional schools.

Makes sense. Wouldn't a degree in exercise science or kinesthesiology be just as useful? I'm debating degree options.

The biomedical bachelors looks more interesting than the biology bachelors at my school, but I'm not sure if it will be better preparation for the MCAT or easier... So far it's between biology, biomedical, and some sort of exercise science. The biomedical is actually a part of the college of medicine too.

Anyone choose biology over biomedical and have a specific reason why they did? It sounds cooler too. o_O

It doesn't sound cooler. Do whichever you think will give you the highest gpa! Or, do what few on SDN dare to do and major in something you like...there are too many bio/biomed majors and adcoms like some diversity

Cause I like biology? And I figured I could do a biochem PhD after if not successful with med school and go work for big pharma and make some bucka bucks lol

It doesn't sound cooler. Do whichever you think will give you the highest gpa! Or, do what few on SDN dare to do and major in something you like...there are too many bio/biomed majors and adcoms like some diversity

You could just do what I did, get a Biology major...

And a Math major...

And a French major...

And a Chemistry minor...

Of course AdComs don't care, but it's fun!

Thx brobrah! I just plan on minoring in what interests me,Majors in those degrees will bone me since it will be no MCAT preparation, even though I'm sure I can do well in any of these, might even do better in my interests than in bio stuff which also interest me

Last edited:
You could just do what I did, get a Biology major...

And a Math major...

And a French major...

And a Chemistry minor...

Of course AdComs don't care, but it's fun!

u switched or u triple majoring bruh

u switched or u triple majoring bruh

Triple major, sistah.

How long did it take you to finish?

Four years.

Would have graduated in two had I followed the traditional single major/minor route... Would have been fine with that, but medical schools don't like youngins. I had to find alternatives.

Like I said, multiple majors will do nothing for your application, it's literally a tiny little box on the AMCAS application that I doubt they look at. The thing it does affect is your GPA, which it tends to do horrible things to. I did just fine, but wouldn't recommend it unless you are at a higher caliber than your institution.

If I were to compare my concentrations for easiness, it'd be:
Language > Biology > Math > Chemistry

However, for usefulness:
Chemistry > Biology > Math > Language

Last edited:
Are there any specific classes that are most similar to med school classes in terms of the content of the material? Besides A&P. Seems like the biomedical bachelors route is more towards this, but biomedical is more restricted than the biology degree from what I understand, in terms of a back up for med school not working out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any specific classes that are most similar to med school classes in terms of the content of the material? Besides A&P. Seems like the biomedical bachelors route is more towards this, but biomedical is more restricted than the biology degree from what I understand, in terms of a back up for med school not working out.

Medical school will teach you everything you need to know, just do well in your required courses.

Psssh, Bio??

Physics (and to a lesser extent, Chem) is where it's at!
If medical school never worked out, I'd go to grad school, get me a PhD and run off to Wall Street (or industry in nanotech).

Great major.

Lot of extra, unnecessary work and difficulty.
GPA also takes a hit for the non-geniuses (like me), but I'd take this any day over a Bio major. :oops:

You found Math major easier than Chemistry major??

Medical school will teach you everything you need to know, just do well in your required courses.

I know haha, I was just curious which ones would be a taste of the kind of material to make certain that I'd enjoy learning it. I've enjoyed anatomy type courses but I'm sure there are even closer resembling courses I'm overlooking..

Because I wanted to make sure I would have 0% of getting a real job if med school doesn't work out.

The Bio major is kinda convenient since you're going to need to take the majority of the lower level electives ( Which also are the hardest ones). In terms of bio majors and their preparedness for the mcat, it's variable and will depends more on the person and their ability to tie things in together/ think critically.

I personally majored in psychology and minored in neuroscience though.

Because I wanted to make sure I would have 0% of getting a real job if med school doesn't work out.

What better way to show your commitment to medicine than screwing yourself out of future career options? :laugh:

GPA also takes a hit for the non-geniuses (like me), but I'd take this any day over a Bio major. :oops:

You found Math major easier than Chemistry major??

Yeah, the GPA hit kinda sucks, it's definitely something you don't want to have to deal with.

And yes, I found Chemistry more abstract as it combines many different disciplines. Math on the other hand has a good deal of consistency in its approach. Of course, YMMV.

I know haha, I was just curious which ones would be a taste of the kind of material to make certain that I'd enjoy learning it. I've enjoyed anatomy type courses but I'm sure there are even closer resembling courses I'm overlooking..

Anatomy/Physiology
Embryology
Immunology
Microbiology
Genetics
Histology
Pharmacology

These are all subject matter you will encounter in medical school, but doesn't necessarily mean you need to take a class in all, or any, of them. I'd only take them as electives. :thumbup:

You'll get in, bud.
But hey, what better motivation is there to do well in your classes and on your MCAT than facing assured poverty if you don't? :laugh:

Is Biology considered an easy major? I mean I always thought it was still a rigorous major, not necessarily above chemistry/physics/math/engineering, but definitely above all social sciences, business, communications, and humanities.

I chose it because its interesting, it encompasses all prerequisites, and it makes me feel like a mini doctor already :p

As of now I am minoring in Biology. When I first entered as a freshman, I thought I would be a bio major. I completed the first two biology classes and the math requirement (Calc I and II) before changing my plans midway through the second semester. The biology major at my school focuses mostly on plant and animal biology as opposed to Human Biology which is offered at other institutions. So I switched to Econ instead.

However, I am strongly considering double majoring at this point. I only require 3 additional classes to my minor to make it a major. So we'll just have to wait and see what happens..

Is Biology considered an easy major? I mean I always thought it was still a rigorous major, not necessarily above chemistry/physics/math/engineering, but definitely above all social sciences, business, communications, and humanities.

I chose it because its interesting, it encompasses all prerequisites, and it makes me feel like a mini doctor already :p

I would say it is the easiest science major. Physics is on another level, and Chemistry (from what I know) tends to get real tough real fast after Orgo.

Chem/Math/Eng/Physics > Biology > Psych/Social Sciences/Humanities > Arts/Foreign Languages

Everyone was majoring in bio, so I majored in Micro.

Yeah, the GPA hit kinda sucks, it's definitely something you don't want to have to deal with.

And yes, I found Chemistry more abstract as it combines many different disciplines. Math on the other hand has a good deal of consistency in its approach. Of course, YMMV.

Anatomy/Physiology
Embryology
Immunology
Microbiology
Genetics
Histology
Pharmacology

These are all subject matter you will encounter in medical school, but doesn't necessarily mean you need to take a class in all, or any, of them. I'd only take them as electives. :thumbup:

You'll get in, bud.
But hey, what better motivation is there to do well in your classes and on your MCAT than facing assured poverty if you don't? :laugh:

In the event that I (or anybody) doesn't like the classes you listed above, would that be a strong indication to go into a different field? heh

In the event that I (or anybody) doesn't like the classes you listed above, would that be a strong indication to go into a different field? heh

I don't think you know what half of these fields entail yet tbh. Even the introduction they give you these fields in intro biology is not enough to know if you like them or not. That being said, generally if you don't find human biology interesting then you might want to reconsider medicine.

If none of these fit your interests, you may be in the wrong field:

A

• ► Anatomy‎ (27 C, 137 P)
C

D

E

G

H

I

M

N

O

P

P cont.

R

T

Pages in category "Subjects taught in medical school"

The following 31 pages are in this category, out of 31 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
A

B

C

D

E

G

G cont.

H

I

M

N

O

P

R

S

T

I'm a Chemistry major, but only because I love it. In undergrad, you'll realize that you're not really going to remember everything once your in med school, so choose a major that you are genuinely interested in because while you won't ALWAYS do better (you can love your major, but still do poorly), it will/should at least make you work harder due to interest than something you dislike, and keep you from going insane.

Undergrad pretty much teaches you HOW to learn.

Wanting to go into medicine after studying music in college, I thought biology would make the most sense. Kinda wish I had done chemistry because I like it more, but once you get into med school the undergrad degree doesn't matter much at all

It's easy and satisfies all of the requirements. That's why 99% of Bio majors intending on med school go into it. Otherwise, the jobs you can get with it mostly suck and you aren't really competitive for anything without a graduate degree.

I am majoring in microbiology, because:

1. I don't have to study plants or evolution or ecology (boring...)
2. More classes related to medical school
3. Covers pre-reqs
4. Able to get a job with just a bachelors
5. Able to continue in graduate studies if I choose
6. Bacteria are fun! :)

I am majoring in microbiology, because:

1. I don't have to study plants or evolution or ecology (boring...)
2. More classes related to medical school
3. Covers pre-reqs
4. Able to get a job with just a bachelors
5. Able to continue in graduate studies if I choose
6. Bacteria are fun! :)

Micro majors unite!

Psssh, Bio??

Physics (and to a lesser extent, Chem) is where it's at!
If medical school never worked out, I'd go to grad school, get me a PhD and run off to Wall Street (or industry in nanotech).

You know that's basically the equivalent of being a walk-on QB for an NFL team?

The need for physicists on Wall Street is vastly overblown. First off, they are usually PhD level scientists who are considered for these quant jobs. Secondly, they are recruited from high powered programs like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford. Finally, the competition is crazy intense because a thousand other people are thinking just like you.

On topic, basically all BS/BA degrees are worthless except professional degrees (eg engineering, business, finance, accounting, nursing). Everything else is playing roulette and hoping your number comes up to make a decent career.

If none of these fit your interests, you may be in the wrong field:

lol, the reason I was asking was because one of my fears is getting into medical school and then dropping out because the course load is too difficult or because the material is not to my liking enough to work that hard. I was seeing if any undergrad classes would give a definitive answer on the content of the material, aka "if I don't like this class then it's probably not for me" but it doesn't seem anything is similar enough to make such an assertion..

I switched from bio to a foreign language/linguistics so I could easily obtain a translator job and travel during my gap year. Bio was so boring in the sense that I felt every class is pure memorization (yes I understand a good portion of med school is like this), got bored of the 4 hour labs, and wasn't challenging at all.

I liked biology, if I didn't plan to try for medical school, I probably would be looking at Biology/Biochem graduate programs.

Because if we can't avoid it, we force ourselves to enjoy it.

Why do you consider the arts to be "easy"?

I joined two fourth year arts courses for fun.

I attended classes only on days we turned in projects.

98.5% average in the classes.

Because molecular biology wasn't a major at my college.

Because Biology is an easy major. I preferred to major in Chemistry and love it as it is much more challenging, you gain a lot more understanding of the universe especially after taking Quantum and honestly it's more for the buck. Once you take cell bio, you can pretty much understand all of bio once you read about the topic/read the literature. I might have majored in physics given the choice to change though.

Also, it is common knowledge that chem and phy majors tend to do better on the MCAT than bio majors so if the intention was better MCAT prep than that argument is false. The only 2 reasons why people major in Bio is because it's easier and/or if they have a huge interest in that field of science over all the others.

Last edited:
Also, it is common knowledge that chem and phy majors tend to do better on the MCAT than bio majors so if the intention was better MCAT prep than that argument is false. The only 2 reasons why people major in Bio is because it's easier and/or if they have a huge interest in that field of science over all the others.

I'm on my phone atm so I can't cite, but yes, Chem/Phys majors tend to rock the MCAT, but have lower GPAs

I majored in neuroscience actually, with a heavy focus on biopsychology (my original intent was to apply to a behavioral neuroscience PhD program but my plans changed). Had I been intent on med school at any point in college I probably would have majored in biology instead.