why are you interested in attending this medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayj

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

It seems like the subject line is a pretty common question asked on secondaries. I imagine that if people apply to 15-20 schools how can you have a special reason for being interested in each individual school? I mean, if you apply to 20 schools isn't it more likely that you just want to go to any school that will accept you?

What do you think is a good way to handle this type of question? On the Tulane secondary, I basically just said I wanted to attend an excellent school and spend 4 years in a unique, interesting city.

Anton

Members don't see this ad.

Look through their brochure, catalog, and website. If they have a particular program that they seem to be proud of (ex - the Yale System), play up to that.

Most of all, be honest - that way you won't have to lie in interviews. Besides, if you chose to apply to a particular school, there must be SOMETHING about them that you like! ;)

I usually look over the school's websites and curriculums as well to see what it is about their program that I particularly like. For me, it was really nice when the schools offered patient contact early on in the curriculum or early mentoring oppotunities with other physicians. Also, I looked at whether the curriculum was taught as all lecture or discussions or problem-based or whatnot. I guess, try to have an idea of what you want and then look at the medical school that is asking that question and see what they have that would help satisfy your needs.