Why aren't there more accredited US Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't mean to be rude, but please refrain from making these assumptions before even starting medical school. First year, you can make an argument, but second year is pretty important. At the same time first year is important because it sets you up into understand the path and pharm for 2nd year.

:thumbup: I notice that people that did really well their first year tend to do better their 2nd year too. Think about it. If you didn't quiet grasp or learn some thing the first time around- such as all these neuro pathways- you will have trouble understanding things in pathophysio and path. You will be like wtf are they talking about. I would study hard for biochem, nuero and physio... Mastering all those makes your life so much easier.

Members don't see this ad.

i think manyof you guys forget that most foreign graduates are Americans that got their degrees from one of the Carribean's. Yeah, you do occasionally see some joe's from India and China, but most are US citizens that got their training foreignly. Plus, we have enough DO's to fill our primary care needs...

Nah. More likely it will mean (1) longer hours for the current doctors, and (2) more PAs and NPs -- they work cheaper.

Law2Doc in this thread :slap: It's fun to watch :thumbup:

I agree completely. Medical school is tough stuff to get into these days, but that doesn't mean we should irresponsibly increase class size and number of schools to meet a demand that is now waxing but will relatively diminish in less than two decades. The career of a doc is 30-40 yrs, so we'd have a incredible glut of doctors in the system.

On the flipside of that, as you've pointed out Law2Doc, maybe if we loaded the system it'd take some steam away from PAs, nurse practitioners and the ridiculous new doctor of nursing profession who have experienced large increases in autonomy and number in the context of a physician-deficient system.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think manyof you guys forget that most foreign graduates are Americans that got their degrees from one of the Carribean's. Yeah, you do occasionally see some joe's from India and China, but most are US citizens that got their training foreignly. Plus, we have enough DO's to fill our primary care needs...

Is it a fight you want? PCOM's match list is more diverse in terms of specialties than a plethora of MD schools. Would you care to enter the world of reality, or are you going to persist so that I am forced to verbally bitch-slap you?

On the flipside of that, as you've pointed out Law2Doc, maybe if we loaded the system it'd take some steam away from PAs, nurse practitioners and the ridiculous new doctor of nursing profession who have experienced large increases in autonomy and number in the context of a physician-deficient system.

That would be very short-sighted. Sort of like Mercedes flooding the market with cars to take steam away from Hyundai. You either end up driving your own price down beyond repair, or you create a situation where there isn't enough business to go around. You are better off convincing people they need top shelf rather than deflate yourself down to a lower shelf.

There are ways to protect your turf, legally, without doing this. ... The same way lawyers shut down accountants/realtors/paralegals who wanted to practice law without going to law school.

I don't understand this oversupply argument. We're already importing a lot of physicians who graduated from foreign medical schools. Why not just train them here?

And secondly, the population of the US will not go down for more than a few years. In fact, if you look at end-of-decade projections, the population will increase every decade without going down once......where are you getting these doomsday scenarios of physician oversupply from? It's the same crap that medical schools pulled regarding a pending oversupply last decade....

Before finally admitting their mistake. Hopefully, when DNPs get full independent practice rights in primary care and subspecialy training because medical schools have their heads up their ass, they'll realize the problem. You know that's the rallying cry right? You don't train enough, so let us do it.