Why D.O. vs M.D.? What is the real difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crystaal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my counselors tell me there is no significant difference between DO and MD tracks, other than the DO also learn osteopathy/holistic med (whatever that means and hell --is it even used?) in addition to what the MD learn. My friends tell me that DO is just a back-up route for those who weren't "good" enough for MD.

Personally, I thought that maybe DO and MD were once very different, but since the principles upon which osteopathy were originally based have been shown to be false, DO has become essentially the same as MD. However, due to red tape and tradition, DO and MD have never been integrated into 1 system even though there appears to be no need for both. That's just my theory, though.

Can anyone clarify the real, practical different between DO and MD? What are some people's reasons for choosing DO? (Other than "it was close to my house" or "it was easier to get in") And, if you don't believe there is a real difference, then why do you think both systems exist rather than just being integrated or having DO 'absorbed' into MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a better question... wtf are these things?

black-and-white-new-pokemon.jpg

Can you all remember the days when squirtle, charmander, and bulbasaur were the face of pokemon games? Good times...

OP-do a search or look at the stickied threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK... I did do a search, but whatever. Guess if I'm too stupid to do a search correctly I might as well go home now.

Can you all remember the days when squirtle, charmander, and bulbasaur were the face of pokemon games? Good times...

What are these digiyugiomon you're posting? There are, and WILL ONLY EVER BE, 151 pokemon

Pokemon ended in the 4th generation. There were no decent 5th generation pokemon.

Ahhh yes, the good times....

What are these digiyugiomon you're posting? There are, and WILL ONLY EVER BE, 151 pokemon
The silver and gold versions weren't too bad... I stopped caring after this.

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
OK... I did do a search, but whatever. Guess if I'm too stupid to do a search correctly I might as well go home now.

:thumbup:

Seriously, there are thousands of DO vs. MD thread. There is a sticky at the top of this forum with a ton of DO vs. MD threads. And when you create a thread the forum pops up a bunch of threads that could have been similar, and being that you used DO vs. MD in the title, it would have popped up a bunch of choices.

As far as the US goes, your counselor is right. It's pretty much identical with the exception of learning OMM. If you're trying to move to another country afterwards, you may have some limitations because some countries do not recognize DOs as fully licensed physicians.

This is scary as fudge. Where is this from?

During the Plague "doctors" used to wear masks like that stuffed with either Asbestos (whoops) or strong smelling herbs because the prevailing theory of that time was that disease was caused by "miasma" or bad air. Google Plague masks, some of them were really intricate. In Venice they stuck around for awhile as a symbol of medicine.

During the Plague "doctors" used to wear masks like that stuffed with either Asbestos (whoops) or strong smelling herbs because the prevailing theory of that time was that disease was caused by "miasma" or bad air. Google Plague masks, some of them were really intricate. In Venice they stuck around for awhile as a symbol of medicine.

Yup there was a popular theory that disease was caused by Miasma or bad stenches created in swamps. Pretty much far from the most pleasant thing to see when you're dying.

Awesome thread. Really hilarious in points and some great historical references. :laugh:

I keep trying to end the epic battle occurring in another thread... Ugh, I thought we were past all of this crap.
Sadly, no we're not. We're now concentrating on trying to change the title DO to MD...... :wow:

I learned to just keep my mouth shut about DO/MD threads. Nevermore, nevermore!!

i actually first learned this playing assassins creed :thumbup: there is random trivia for ya

Just said to myself: "Why the hell would those idiots walk around dressed like that in 1918? What *****s...."

Then I remembered: 1918 = flu pandemic...not plague...who's the idiot now.....