why dentistry?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by tennisboy93, Feb 2, 2000.

1. tennisboy93

tennisboy93 Junior Member

Hello...I see that not many pre-dental students out there seem to be noticing this service, so i will try to keep the ball rolling...

It always seems like at my school, and as far as people around me, NO ONE finds teeth interesting, and no dentists I talk to can artculate to me WHY they went into it. One just said "it seemed like something to do". *sigh* i have had SO MUCH CRAP go on with my teeth, that I TOTALLY know what it is like on the other side of the chair, and that is why i want to be a dentist. Also, I just find the look and art of teeth and smiling appealing...anyone else? I am second year pre-dent, and I want to go to U of I at C. [​IMG]

------------------
    "A setback is only a set-up for a comeback."

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Why UI-Chicago?

Tim of New York City.
    (expanding my horizons to other health professions)

4. tennisboy93

Why UI-Chicago? Well, two reasons...1) I love Chicago. [​IMG] But more importantly 2) I am a veteran of the Army (I was in for just 2 years), and I get what is called a Illinois Veteran's Scholarship...I used the GI BIll to pay for undergrad, and I can use the IVS to pay for ALL of dental school (doesn't have to be dental...can be med, law, any grad) IF I go somewhere PUBLIC in Illinois...it is either UIC or Southern Illinois. UIC is city...SIU is country. Moo. [​IMG]

5. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Good luck then! Is there a service requirement after graduating from dental school?

Chicago's a great town. Not better than New York, but better than Philly I think.

Tim of New York City. [​IMG]

6. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor

Resident [Any Field]
    Then what do you say to people who want to be OB/GYNs or Urologists or Opthalmologists or anything else that centers around a specific organ/body part? [​IMG] As for proctology, they're pretty high up in the medical hierarchy. They're colo-rectal surgeons who need massive connections to get where they are, though that still doesn't keep them from being ridiculed. [​IMG]

Tim of New York City.

7. tennisboy93

Turtle: No there is no service requirement after dental school. You see, Illinois and Texas are (to my recollection) two and the ONLY two states that offer a separate program other than the Federal government's GI Bill. You see, not only do I get the GI Bill ($26,500, which more than pays for my undergrad), but I get a 4 year scholarship to ANY public school in Illinois...I could have used it at the same time as the GI Bill, put that would be stupid, cause I would have blown all my GI $$$...instead, I am using it to go to grad school. It pays application fees, tuition, equipment, and all the other crap fees, for four year... [​IMG]

Good deal huh...and no commitment...the point of the state program is to keep kids in Illinois.

8. tennisboy93

Gringo: Thanks! But I do know that I have 10 years to use my Gi benefits, and also the same 10 years to activate my IVS (Illinois Vets Scholarship). I am WELL aware of the time constraints, but at my present rate, I will have got all of my schooling COMPLETE within 6 years from my discharge. [​IMG] Everything is fine and dandy, and I only had to serve 2 years (as a pharm. tech!) [​IMG]

9. Demilaax

Dental Student
    because i enjoy playing with peoples' toes.