Step I Why diarrhea/vomiting in galactosemia?

Started by Ven0m
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ven0m

boop
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
KLN biochem didn't really explain the mechanism - just that it's due to improper metabolism.

I know that galactosemia = deficiency of either galactokinase or galactose-1P uridyl transferase and I understand its consequences in the liver and brain and how it builds up in the blood.

But why diarrhea/vomiting? Is it because intestinal mucosa cells aren't metabolizing galactose correctly, resulting in galactose accumulation within the intestinal lumen, causing osmotic draw -> diarrhea? But then why vomiting?
 
So I have a proposed mechanism for the vomiting after reading the chapter on galactosemia in Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics 20th edition (2015).

Enzyme deficiency -> buildup of galactose 1 phosphate in brain -> osmotic fluid shift -> hydrocephalus (they specifically say pseudotumor cerebri and bulging fontanelle in the book) -> disturbance of chemoreceptor trigger zone at base of 4th ventricle -> vomiting.
 

Attachments

  • Galactosemia.png
    Galactosemia.png
    183.8 KB · Views: 181
So I have a proposed mechanism for the vomiting after reading the chapter on galactosemia in Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics 20th edition (2015).

Enzyme deficiency -> buildup of galactose 1 phosphate in brain -> osmotic fluid shift -> hydrocephalus (they specifically say pseudotumor cerebri and bulging fontanelle in the book) -> disturbance of chemoreceptor trigger zone at base of 4th ventricle -> vomiting.
Why would a build up of galactose 1 phosphate in the brain cause an osmotic fluid shift if the galactose 1 phosphate is in the neurons, not the extracellular space? Or do the cells actually swell?