Why did I not get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd1986

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I need all the help I can get right now. I am very sad. This year I applied to two schools and I didn't even get an interview invite.

My stats:
accumulative GPA 3.01
sGPA 2.85
bs in biological sciences from UC in cali

Pharmacy technician 1.5 years
Volunteered in Pharmacy for 6 months
Lab assistant in clinic for 6 months
Volunteered at Red cross for 3 months
Member of pre-pharmacy club for 2 years.
Worked full time as a store manager all 4 years at University

My biggest accomplishment was that after my sophmore year my GPA was a 2.5, but I worked soooo hard...got a 3.82 GPA my senior year and boosted my GPA to a 3.01. I applied to TOURO and UOP. UOP put me on the waitlist to be interviewed, however, I was declined in March. Touro didn't even ask for my supplemental. Another problem was that the 3.01 GPA was after my grades from December of 2007. So TOURO never saw my updated grades, but UOP did. I am extremely discouraged right now. Do I have any hope????? What should I do???? Is it too late to improve my application now because June I have to start reapplying again? Or should I even reaaply??? I can only go to a California school because I come from a really strict family and they want to be driving distance away from me. If anyone has some tips please help me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. I need all the help I can get right now. I am very sad. This year I applied to two schools and I didn't even get an interview invite.

My stats:
accumulative GPA 3.01
sGPA 2.85

My biggest accomplishment was that after my sophmore year my GPA was a 2.5, but I worked soooo hard...got a 3.82 GPA my senior year and boosted my GPA to a 3.01. I applied to TOURO and UOP. UOP put me on the waitlist to be interviewed, however, I was declined in March. Touro didn't even ask for my supplemental. Another problem was that the 3.01 GPA was after my grades from December of 2007. So TOURO never saw my updated grades, but UOP did. I am extremely discouraged right now. Do I have any hope????? What should I do???? Is it too late to improve my application now because June I have to start reapplying again? Or should I even reaaply??? I can only go to a California school. If anyone has some tips please help me. Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear that, it's too bad because you LOOK like a well rounded person. How about PCAT? I think maybe you sGPA is your main problem...many schools have say a 3.0 min.

My stats:
accumulative GPA 3.01
sGPA 2.85

My biggest accomplishment was that after my sophmore year my GPA was a 2.5, but I worked soooo hard...got a 3.82 GPA my senior year and boosted my GPA to a 3.01. I applied to TOURO and UOP. UOP put me on the waitlist to be interviewed, however, I was declined in March. Touro didn't even ask for my supplemental. Another problem was that the 3.01 GPA was after my grades from December of 2007. So TOURO never saw my updated grades, but UOP did. I am extremely discouraged right now. Do I have any hope????? What should I do???? Is it too late to improve my application now because June I have to start reapplying again? Or should I even reaaply??? I can only go to a California school. If anyone has some tips please help me. Thanks!

Why is that?

I don't know much about applying to California schools, but I'm guessing that since they do not accept the PCAT, your GPA may have weakened your application. Bear in mind that you are competing with people who have higher GPA's. I don't know why you can only go to a California school, but barring any life emergency, you really should broaden your horizons. Good pharmacy schools exist outside of California.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know people who didnt get into programs with applications that are much more competitive and i know a few applicants who got into pharmacy schools (california schools) with a less competitive app than yours.

so to answer your question, you weren't accepted because you werent lucky (i think). schools turn down houndreds of competitive applicants because of the limited seating.

just keep applying until you get lucky....and in the mean time, improve your application...thats my plan... goodluck

I'm sorry to hear that, it's too bad because you LOOK like a well rounded person. How about PCAT? I think maybe you sGPA is your main problem...many schools have say a 3.0 min.

I got rejected with a 3.3 GPA from UCSF and UCSD - because of :

crappy PS
Lack of extraordinary ECs
inability of sell myself due to my poor knowledge of English in supplementals.

I think your GPAs are not very competitive enough for schools in CA. Hence, you should consider taking PCAT and applying to more schools outside of CA but in driving distance, AZ for example.
Also apply to 10 schools at least IMO.
Good luck to you

My stats:
accumulative GPA 3.01
sGPA 2.85

My biggest accomplishment was that after my sophmore year my GPA was a 2.5, but I worked soooo hard...got a 3.82 GPA my senior year and boosted my GPA to a 3.01. I applied to TOURO and UOP. UOP put me on the waitlist to be interviewed, however, I was declined in March. Touro didn't even ask for my supplemental. Another problem was that the 3.01 GPA was after my grades from December of 2007. So TOURO never saw my updated grades, but UOP did. I am extremely discouraged right now. Do I have any hope????? What should I do???? Is it too late to improve my application now because June I have to start reapplying again? Or should I even reaaply??? I can only go to a California school because I come from a really strict family and they want to be driving distance away from me. If anyone has some tips please help me. Thanks!

You need to consider out of state schools, and in the meantime enroll in a JC to bring up your science gpa. California schools is all about the grades, unless you are extremely well rounded. Your gpa is average, and your science gpa is borderline, which isn't very competitive vs. other cali applicants.

IMHO, you are at an age where you should make decisions for yourself, not your parents. Don't ever let anyone, including your parents, come between you and your future.

I think that you should contact the schools to see what you can improve on. In addition to what others have said, I would also add that your ECs are all the same. They all relate to pharmacy or health. None of them really show how well rounded you are. Do you have hobbies otside of these clubs? (play a sport, instrument, volunteer as a big brother/sister, etc)

Your sGPA is really bad. Retake any classes you didn't get an A in. And apply to A LOT more schools. Your cGPA is on the low side too. If you must go to a Cali school then apply to every school in Cali but I would really consider applying to out-of-state schools that accept students with a lower GPA.

You need to consider out of state schools, and in the meantime enroll in a JC to bring up your science gpa. California schools is all about the grades, unless you are extremely well rounded. Your gpa is average, and your science gpa is borderline, which isn't very competitive vs. other cali applicants.

IMHO, you are at an age where you should make decisions for yourself, not your parents. Don't ever let anyone, including your parents, come between you and your future.

WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

parents mean well...but sometimes they may be a destructive force in our lives.

and ill take it one step further, i would apply to schools that arent driving distance from your family

it boggles my mind..that people live to make their parents happy

IMHO, you are at an age where you should make decisions for yourself, not your parents. Don't ever let anyone, including your parents, come between you and your future.[/quote]

MrBlah, well this is something about culture. I totally underdstand when she (has to be a girl b/c parents won't be strict with boys) said so. Children aren't married they're still under their parents' umbrella and decisions. It does sound funny but something that a lot families can't change when they came to us.

Pharmd1986, sorry about your story and hope you can get in somewhere next year. Can some relatives talk to your parents to let you apply out of state? They really don't want you to stay in dorm, I bet hehehe.

Sure, living with parents is great, but there is sometime when you need to cut umbilical cord.

Sure, living with parents is great, but there is sometime when you need to cut umbilical cord.

Seriously, why the heck would u want to live close to your parents ? Don't you want to have wild mind-blowing orgy-esque parties while you are in pharmacy school? :zip:

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, why the heck would u want to live close to your parents ? Don't you want to have wild mind-blowing orgy-esque parties while you in pharmacy school?
We're talking about pharmacy students, so.... those parties don't exist! :smuggrin:

Seriously, why the heck would u want to live close to your parents ? Don't you want to have wild mind-blowing orgy-esque parties while you in pharmacy school?

Looooll:D. Exactly. The best times I had when my parents were gone for business trips.(They had them pretty often sooo....:D)

MrBlah, well this is something about culture. I totally underdstand when she (has to be a girl b/c parents won't be strict with boys) said so. Children aren't married they're still under their parents' umbrella and decisions. It does sound funny but something that a lot families can't change when they came to us.
[/quote]

1. thats why i think she should apply very, very far.

and 2. if she is applying to pharmacy school...then chances are that she isnt a child.

moving out is the bonk on the head they need to make them realize that they need to get with the times....

We're talking about pharmacy students, so.... those parties don't exist! :smuggrin:

You mean when a bunch of nerds get together they don't go wild ? What do they do then, talk about startreck ?

Not the Russian nerds. :laugh: :luck:

Seriously, why the heck would u want to live close to your parents ? Don't you want to have wild mind-blowing orgy-esque parties while you are in pharmacy school? :zip:

you dont have to go to pharmacy school to have "wild mind-blowing orgy-esque parties".....

ive seen videos :oops:...apparently, all you need is a pizza box...or a plumbers uniform.

you dont have to go to pharmacy school to have "wild mind-blowing orgy-esque parties".....

ive seen videos :oops:...apparently, all you need is a pizza box...or a plumbers uniform.

Hehehe, where are all those parties ? I've seen none in San Francisco. :mad:

It's on my list of things to accomplish in life.

You mean when a bunch of nerds get together they don't go wild ? What do they do then, talk about startreck ?

Not the Russian nerds. :laugh: :luck:

Actually there are Russian nerds who don't party...I am serious....

Actually there are Russian nerds who don't party...I am serious....

They must be mutants with freaky genomes.

All Russians love to party. For example I currently have a quiz I haven't studied for in 35 minutes. Yet, I am partying on this website.

Yeah... next thing after getting in....:laugh::smuggrin:

try drinking LOTS of tequila....

worked for me....:D

...but i hardly remember a thing :(

They must be mutants with freaky genomes.

All Russians love to party. For example I currently have a quiz I haven't studied for in 35 minutes. Yet, I am partying on this website.

hahaha yeah they are.... Same thing actually ....:laugh:.Too bad there isn't that many people to party with here...or either I am getting more and more introvertive....

I would call those schools and ask how you can improve your application.

its your GPA its not hard to guess on your own dude, I think the minm average for most school is at least 3.3~ you're not even close to that. I suggest retaking some courses or something.

Pharmd1986, sorry about your story and hope you can get in somewhere next year. Can some relatives talk to your parents to let you apply out of state? They really don't want you to stay in dorm, I bet hehehe.

I hear where you are coming from, as my parents are hardcore Asian-Am. parents, but the OP has to begin making decisions for him/herself. The OP has to realize its his/her future, not the parent's future. The parents aren't going to pay for pharmacy school, pay for a house, or anything in the future. More likely than not, the OP will end up taking care of the parents.

The OP needs to sit down with his/her parents and have a serious discussion, where the OP tells the parents what he/she wants to do, and be frank and realistic of his/her chances of attending a in-state school.

Lol, parents. In some of the interviews I attended, and the subsequent tours of the facility, some applicants brought their parents with them. Parents are good at one thing, embarrassing their children in front of strangers.:laugh:

Sparda: wow that was some useful advice, considering that the schools the OP applied to don't accept pharmcas in the first place.

Some kids they wanna to escape from their parents so bad, thats why they apply far away from home or some of them were so good when they were in High School and end up so bad in college because they lived far away from parents. Am I right? This is one of the reason why parents want to live close to their children. It does make sense.

I wasn't listen to my parents 12 years ago and I regreted it.

either way, its really hard to say why the op's stats are so borderline. If he/she can figure out what went wrong, and fix it, she will be on the right track. Cali schools are just plain hard to get into.

I am sorry to hear that... all I can tell you is dont give up on u r dreams..
Because nothing is impossible and when you really want something in life and work for it nothing can stop you from having it.

GOOD LUCK
I am sure you will do great in future.

Some kids they wanna to escape from their parents so bad, thats why they apply far away from home or some of them were so good when they were in High School and end up so bad in college because they lived far away from parents. Am I right? This is one of the reason why parents want to live close to their children. It does make sence.

Maybe my mommy can help me with my Pharmaceutics homework. Some people need someone watching over their shoulder for much longer than others....to each his own.

My stats:
accumulative GPA 3.01
sGPA 2.85

I have about the same GPA stats just like your's, but you have more extracurricular activities and involvements outside of class than mine.

Last year, I applied to all the California schools and got rejected from every school. :(

So, I retook a couple of classes that kept my GPA low and that are prerequisites for the pharmacy schools. I rewrote my personal statement and got a lot of people to read it. I recently got my pharmacy technician license and am currently working as a pharmacy technician at a retail pharmacy. Additionally, I got 2 new letters of recommendation that might have helped me.

This year, I applied and got interviews from Western and Touro. I'm still waiting on the responses. :scared:

You should not give up if pharmacy is your professional aspiration. Try to find ways to improve your application such as improving you GPA by retaking a couple of classes. Find people who have known you for a long time (professors, supervisors, etc.) to write you a good letter of recommendation because it's possible that your letters of recommendation are not as strong). Continue with your extracurriculars, for I believe are your strong points. :)

You can't leave California because you need to be within driving distance of your parents? That really doesn't even make sense. California is a big state - I'm sure that there are pharmacy schools in neighboring states that are just as close as a pharmacy school on the opposite side of the state.

Take the PCAT and rock it, and apply early to several schools that take the PCAT. Make sure to apply early. It's definitely your GPA that's holding you back, and if you are applying to schools that don't consider the PCAT then your GPA is that much more important.

If the worst thing you can do to your parents is leave the area to pursue pharmacy school then wow, they have a great child. You seem to be jeapordizing your chance to have a great career because of a rule by your parents that is very unfair. Also, in this modern age there is a wonder called an airplane. From experience, I live 6 1/2 hours from "home." That is obviously driving distance right? I don't even find time to go back once a year. I probably would go back more often if it was further away because I could just hop on an airplane and make a weekend of it. I wish you luck and I hope you will get your parents support.

If the worst thing you can do to your parents is leave the area to pursue pharmacy school then wow, they have a great child. You seem to be jeapordizing your chance to have a great career because of a rule by your parents that is very unfair. Also, in this modern age there is a wonder called an airplane. From experience, I live 6 1/2 hours from "home." That is obviously driving distance right? I don't even find time to go back once a year. I probably would go back more often if it was further away because I could just hop on an airplane and make a weekend of it. I wish you luck and I hope you will get your parents support.

True dat! OP, you should - no, YOU MUST - apply out of state. Your parents will have to trust that they did a good job of raising you.

Oh, and sign me up for these orgy-esque parties everyone's talking about. I can get a plumber's uniform...:laugh:

True dat! OP, you should - no, YOU MUST - apply out of state. Your parents will have to trust that they did a good job of raising you.

Oh, and sign me up for these orgy-esque parties everyone's talking about. I can get a plumber's uniform...:laugh:

Mmmmm, there is a good episode of Will and Grace about molestering a plumber.

Some kids they wanna to escape from their parents so bad, thats why they apply far away from home or some of them were so good when they were in High School and end up so bad in college because they lived far away from parents. Am I right? This is one of the reason why parents want to live close to their children. It does make sense.

Sure, it actually happened to one of my ex bffs. She moved away from her mom to pursue pharm school. After 3 yrs of pharm school she dropped out and became stripper.(I am not kidding). You wanna know why that happened? because her mother was a control freak. Because she literally had no life with mom.But you know what?Despite that they have to trust you and not feed you from spoon you like a child. Moral of the story- I am a goofy storyteller.Lol...

Sure, it actually happened to one of my ex bffs. She moved away from her mom to pursue pharm school. After 3 yrs of pharm chool she dropped out and became stripper.(I am not kidding). You wanna know why that happened? because her mother was a control freak. Because she literally had no life with mom.But you know what?Despite that they have to trust you and not nurture you like a child. Moral of the story- I am a goofy storyteller.Lol...

Like your new avatar, very healthy too. :thumbup:

What is it with the Russians and strawberries?

I dunno, they are healthy and delicious...I have been obsessed with strawberries lately...Oh yeah and the price is low right now.

Sure, it actually happened to one of my ex bffs. She moved away from her mom to pursue pharm school. After 3 yrs of pharm school she dropped out and became stripper.(I am not kidding). You wanna know why that happened? because her mother was a control freak. Because she literally had no life with mom.But you know what?Despite that they have to trust you and not feed you from spoon you like a child. Moral of the story- I am a goofy storyteller.Lol...

can i have her number? and employment information would be nice too.,

im uh, writing a book...eerrr, on pharmacy students falling back on their second career choices....yea, that sounds about right....

California schools can be very competitive because they don't accept PCAT scores. You seem to have the extracurricular part down... work on your GPA, both cum and science. Go to a community college are retake all your science courses that you got a C or lower in. That should raise both your GPAs.

Yeah, have been doing WW. (Very happy with the progress:clap::love:).The thought of it makes my day..

Congrats ! I am proud of you ! Keep up the good work, I think you should reward yourself by buying a new cute outfit. That's what I would do. :luck: :laugh:

im uh, writing a book...eerrr, on pharmacy students falling back on their second career choices....yea, that sounds about right....

I would loove to give you the number but she's living in the Northern part of Russia. So...

Hehehe, what for ? You live in LA, isn't that like near Hollywod where all the wanna be actors/models/people who look good come to attempt to become celebrities ?I am sure you don't even have to look or pick up chicks, you just stroll out of bed in your pj's and some want to be model is just sitting on your doorstep, waiting to smooched away by a pharmacy student.

Congrats ! I am proud of you ! Keep up the good work, I think you should reward yourself by buying a new cute outfit. That's what I would do. :luck: :laugh:

No, i got new haircut. Next big loss I am getting haircut and highlights. I am not buying anything till I am not able to shop at Lane Bryant and Torrid.:laugh: