Why did you apply to both M.D. and D.O. schools question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ileana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do u do when you are interveiwing for a D.O. school and u are asked why u decided to apply to both types of programs (M.D. and D.O.)? How do u answer the question, it seems that they automatically have the notion that u are applying to their school as a backup which is not the case.
Any imput is highly appreciated.:)

Members don't see this ad.

What do u do when you are interveiwing for a D.O. school and u are asked why u decided to apply to both types of programs (M.D. and D.O.)? How do u answer the question, it seems that they automatically have the notion that u are applying to their school as a backup which is not the case.

In my case I was trying to apply to schools in areas where my girlfriend was applying to law school and osteopathic schools helped me cover some areas that i couldnt with MD schools (ie Cali)

I also told them that I wanted to be a great primary care doctor and that it didn't matter to me which way i went.

I think the real test as to whether or not DO school is a "backup" plan for you is to ask yourself this "If you got an acceptance to an MD school is there any chance you would still attend a DO school"?? If you can honestly answer yes to that question and you have a solid explanation as to why, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Will DO schools even know that you applied to MD schools anyway??

Members don't see this ad :)
How about you just wanted to increase your odds to getting accepted so you applied broadly?

Maybe. Some schools ask (ie UNECOM). Others may ask in an interview.

Some schools require you to list the schools you applied to and then on your interveiw they ask you why you applied to both programs.

Do you guys think that location is a good response?
Honestly I would love to stay in South Florida and that is a really a big reason why I choose the schools that I did. My main priority is to become a good physician and therefore I really I'm not discriminating between the two (D.O. and M.D.) besides I would really love to study and practice medicine where I was born and raised.

Honestly, for me it's b/c I just want to be a physician, I really don't care where I go. I know someone will get me for this, but seriously if you simply want to be a doctor, who cares? It may also help if you feel this way to apply to certain DO schools which don't care. From my experiences, that's AZCOM and TUCOM-NV so far. I asked both of them in my interview about specializing and OMM and both said "you can use it if you want" and "if you want to specialize, we'll do everything we can to get you the residency you want." So, if this is for you, go for it, otherwise go to a school that is all about OMM. The choice is up to you.

P.S. I will say though, I got into osteopathy b/c of the people. Every MD, except for a few, were complete a**holes and hated their patients, but I shadowed/talked to DO's in the same fields and they were much happier. That was enough for me. They also seemed to have for fun and worked hard but knew how to party (so to speak). So you have to do what feels right for you. Best of luck!

I told them I applied to both and they asked my reasoning behind it. I said I needed to maxiumize the chances of my husband getting a job. Although I was accepted to both MD and DO, I ended up chosing DO becasaue I loved the school although it is in an area where getting a job was a horrible nightmare. Just be honest and dont act ashamed. You dont have to apologize for applying to other schools.
Good luck all