Why did you choose to be a vet over a veterinary technician? (or vice versa)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kara31191

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why did you choose to be a vet? What do you consider different for the two different jobs? Have you ever considered becoming a veterinary technician instead? Or the other way around? What is more rewarding about the technician branch of it all?

I finally reached my reason why I would rather be a veterinarian. :) The part of the field that I am attracted to are the reasoning, logical, and ethical parts. Most of the time, technicians don't seem to make any major decisions. I also like the problem solving aspect of the career. The "well, it could be this, but maybe it's this" sort of thing. It's almost like a detective. A technician has a completely different job and prespective on a clinic! :rolleyes: I just don't think I would like it as much. So how about you?

I honestly don't think the pay is high enough (for a new veterinary technician) to cover the costs of living, but I could be wrong. I know that a starting salary for a vet isn't really large either... not like a human doctor's... That's a factor for everyone, I'm sure.

Thanks everyone,
-Kara

Members don't see this ad.

I heard one of the techs at my work say that she would never want to be a vet because it's a lot less "hands-on", and you don't get to concentrate on animals as much (I assume because you need to come up with a treatment plan and talk to owners).
Personally, I think technicians's job is very different from that of vets. A lot of it is carrying out orders given by vets. Don't get me wrong: I think their (MY!) job is absolutely vital. However, it is not as important for vet. techs/assistants to be excellent at problem solving or critical thinking. It is for vets.
I choose to be a vet because I know I can contribute to vet. med. a lot more as a veterinarian than as a tech. So yes, to me, it all comes down to decision making and being able to influence outcomes on a deeper level.

I finally reached my reason why I would rather be a veterinarian. :) The part of the field that I am attracted to are the reasoning, logical, and ethical parts. Most of the time, technicians don't seem to make any major decisions. I also like the problem solving aspect of the career. The "well, it could be this, but maybe it's this" sort of thing. It's almost like a detective. A technician has a completely different job and prespective on a clinic! :rolleyes: I just don't think I would like it as much. So how about you?

The Vets rarely make the major decisions either. The majority of what is done is decided by the owner and their financial situation. And regarding the more interesting cases. Those are dictated by the same financial limitations. The more involved and complicated(interesting!) the case, the more likely it is just going to end in euthanasia.

I honestly don't think the pay is high enough (for a new veterinary technician) to cover the costs of living, but I could be wrong. I know that a starting salary for a vet isn't really large either... not like a human doctor's... That's a factor for everyone, I'm sure.

If you really do the math, you might realize that being a technician is financially the better decision for the short term. As a tech you are working in your field after only 2 years of college. As a vet you will be spending an additional 6 years in school(while you could have been working full time) and taking on an additional debt load of anywhere from 100-300k. It could easily be out of vet school for 10 years and still not financially be to the level you would have if you had gone the tech route.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really do the math, you might realize that being a technician is financially the better decision. As a tech you are working in your field after only 2 years of college. As a vet you will be spending an additional 6 years in school(while you could have been working full time) and taking on an additional debt load of anywhere from 100-300k.

Yea, but you have to calculate out earning potential for the rest of your life. That's where the picture changes.

Simple reasons - I'm a big science (especially biological sciences) dork, I like to know how everything works, and I love to problem-solve. :D

Yea, but you have to calculate out earning potential for the rest of your life. That's where the picture changes.

I edited the post the clarify that I was talking in the short term. Going to vet school easily puts many other aspects of your life on hold for 5-10 years.

I like the science and problem solving along with the continued learning associated with vet med.
I know a really good technician , who when asked why she did not want to be a vet, said that she thought she would be just a mediocre vet and that there were plenty of mediocre vets out there but that she feels she is/tries to be a really good and essential technician and that there weren't that many of those out there! I thought that that was a great answer!:)

No offense. But if I wasn't going to be a vet, vet tech wouldn't be my second choice. It's not one over the other. I think there are many more things closer related to veterinarians before vet techs.

By the way, I am currently a vet tech.

I agree, I would probably do something research related. I'm currently a tech now too!

I'm a tech now, and have been for several years. I guess the major reason I want to be a vet instead is that I like the problem-solving aspect of it. It's interesting, because it is a lot like a puzzle-- all of the diagnostic tests, like X-rays, ultrasound, bloodwork, etc are each an essential piece. Also, every time the vet I work with talks about what he thinks is the problem, I'm so curious and I ask him lots of questions. He always explains everything really well, but I kind of feel stupid asking all the time, so I can't wait til I actually know what he''s talking about! :D

I'm a tech now, and have been for several years. I guess the major reason I want to be a vet instead is that I like the problem-solving aspect of it. It's interesting, because it is a lot like a puzzle-- all of the diagnostic tests, like X-rays, ultrasound, bloodwork, etc are each an essential piece. Also, every time the vet I work with talks about what he thinks is the problem, I'm so curious and I ask him lots of questions. He always explains everything really well, but I kind of feel stupid asking all the time, so I can't wait til I actually know what he''s talking about! :D

Like many other people, I like the problem solving/detective work. Using all of your knowledge to find the problem or potential problems.

I really like interacting with people. (Ha, the nice ones anyways) And that's a large part of the job too. From what I've observed, techs don't get much client interaction - not nearly as much as the vets anyways.

Also, I'm very interested in ECC (emergency/critical care) and being an ECC doctor is amazing, making the calls that can save an animal's life. That's pretty hard to beat, in my opinion.

And I'm the kind of person who just likes being in the driver's seat, if that makes any sense ; )

For some reason, I think that posted twice; sorry!

Like most others I am interested in the problem solving and I am also looking forward to the surgeries.

The Vets rarely make the major decisions either. The majority of what is done is decided by the owner and their financial situation. And regarding the more interesting cases. Those are dictated by the same financial limitations. The more involved and complicated(interesting!) the case, the more likely it is just going to end in euthanasia.

quote]

Where I work, there is a single vet who owns the whole clinic. So that's my perspective of it.

Vet Tech was never any sort of a backup. I wasn't going through my degrees to end up doing that.

There are some amazing techs out there, but it's not what I wanted to do.

I first wanted to be a vet tech. Why?

It is a weird story. When I was in grade 11, the guidance office gave us a presentation on careers and post-secondary educatoin... stuff like that. They showed us this one website which contained a career test. The website asks you questions about your personality and your preferences, and it makes a list of careers that you might be suited for. I went on there and did the test because I really wasn't one hundred percent sure what I wanted to do for a living. I knew I wanted to do something science related. Anyway... veternarian was number one on the list, followed by model, animal breeder, social worker... my first thought was, "Ew, surgery! I can't do that!" but I looked at the veternarian profile anyway. I decided to check out related careers, and clicked on vet tech. I read up on vet tech, and I thought, "Hey I could do this!" My mom is a nurse... and a vet tech is like a nurse for animals... that is my understanding of it anyway... I did more research on the career, and decided that in order to know if this is right for me, I would need to volunteer at a clinic.

Six monthes later, I finally got a volunteer position at one of the clinics. I loved what the vet techs were doing... but I also found myself becoming more and more interrested in what the vets were doing... before I knew it, I was undecided on what I wanted to do. I asked a lot of questions... I talked to the guidance counselors, friends, family, vets and vet tech... they told me that if I was interrested in becoming a vet, aim at becoming a vet first, and if that goes sour, become a tech. I am into animal rights too... the advisor of the animal rights group told me that I would be able to make more of a difference in the lives of animals being a vet than a vet tech... and talking to him did it for me.

Before I had decided that I wanted to be a vet, I had applied to one of the best vet tech programs in the country. I got a letter in the mail inviting me to an interview. I decided to do the interview and the testing anyway... and do it as if it was a vet tech that I wanted to be, and not a vet. Over one hundred people were interviewed. 24 get accepted. Only three get accepted straight from high school... majority of the accepted students were much older than 18. I took a tour, did testing, and had my interview. I got accepted! I figured that if I could get into this really tough program, that I could do anything... so I sent my interviewer a polite letter, and decided to go to another university to get my bachelor of science. If something happens that I don't get into vet school, I am going to go back to that school... their vet tech program is amazing... it is very hands on, and it keeps you busy, which I like.

Since then, I've been doing research on a variety of things that have to do with a career in veterinary medicine, and you don't know how bad I want this...

If I don't get into vet school, I'll enroll in a vet tech program and keep applying... I have decided that I really want to work in a clinic...

Anyway... that is my story...

I'll first wanted to be a vet tech. Why?

It is a weird story. When I was in grade 11, the guidance office gave us a presentation on careers and post-secondary educatoin... stuff like that. They showed us this one website which contained a career test. The website asks you questions about your personality and your preferences, and it makes a list of careers that you might be suited for. I went on there and did the test because I really wasn't one hundred percent sure what I wanted to do for a living. I knew I wanted to do something science related. Anyway... veternarian was number one on the list, followed by model, animal breeder, social worker...

heheh, the list went veterinarian, then model? Like fashion model?

That's a funny second choice! Well, us pre-vets are a good looking bunch....

I took a similar test, it told me to be a lawyer. Bleeech!

Funny, because two years ago, three career tests told me 1. doctor 2. vet 3. RN.

I was laughing because I'm always considered the "motherly/nuturing" type. I like to take care of others. :rolleyes: Cooking and cleaning up after the pets is my favorite. Hey, maybe that's why I'm a parrot freak? =P I'm the "Class angel" in superlatives at school. HAHA.

Oh, I thought you meant the owner of the clinic! :laugh:

heheh, the list went veterinarian, then model? Like fashion model?

Well, on the website, it says model, but it gives you a general idea of the different types... professional modeling, runway modeling, modeling for catalogues... the site is pretty neat. For each profession they have two interviews with people in that field, education needed, typical career path, salery, "A Day In the Life", a school search, and related careers.

I think doctor was on mine, too... and marine biologist, which I was thinking of becoming before, but after reading the profile on the site, it wasn't what I expected... almost all of my "ideal" careers were people, animal or nature related. Ecologist and conservation officer was also there.

I didn't have any animals growing up because we moved around a lot... when I was in grade 4, I met a girl who had over twenty animals living in her house: cats, dogs, birds, fish, mice, guina pigs, a hedgehog, a tarantula, a camine (did I spell that right? it was an alligator, but not!), a bearded dragon... my friend had gotten spiny mice when I first met her, and she let me name and "have" one. I named him Rodney. My love for animals started there... I moved a year later... five years later, we finally got a cat :p shortly after that, I started fishkeeping... but that is how it all started.