Why did you decide to apply DO??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predrb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just Curious as to what your reasons were for applying DO as opposed to MD??

Members don't see this ad.

I am only applying DO because it suits me best in all aspects.

Members don't see this ad :)
for me, I just see the whole approach of osteopathic medicine as a extra benefit for the patient. Concrete medicine is fixed.. everyone learns it (both DO and MD).. but the personality and philosophy you bring is what separates you asa physician. just my opinion.

Military experiences with D.O physicians. This stlye is really where medicine began for me.

doc G said:
Military experiences with D.O physicians. This stlye is really where medicine began for me.
hey Doc G, which arm service are you planning on going into after med school? I was going to do USUHS but i couldn't commit the 7 years. how long is the committment if you just want to join the military but not have them pay your med school loans?

I did it for the women. DO girls are hotter than MD girls, look up the thread.

You know how many ppl here in US have no bloody idea what a DO is...now imagine how many ppl know what DO is in Poland--->0... :oops:
I didn't know what an osteopathic medicine was untill i run into SDN :D ...and I totally fell in love with the idea of being a DO.
I think there is something in this practice that is very unique. I personally do not care when ppl tell me "oh, so u r not going to apply to a normal med school?" or"you are not going to be a REAL doctor?"
That makes me want to be osteopathic physician even more... :smuggrin:
I also want to offer my patients much more then just a name in my appointment book and the "10 minutes next please" kind of thing :rolleyes: . Besides, osteo philosophy is really fascinating and everybody knows that if you like what you do and do it with passion(by passion i mean, when you wake up each day and you do not slap yourself in a forhead asking "why" or, worse, you wake up and the first words that come out of your mouth sound like "oh, sh**, i have to go to work again) you are going to be pretty damn good in it. :D That is why i want to go DO...i want to be able to do everything in my power, everything that is out there to make sure my patient will get better, and definetly DO can prepare me for it...i just wonder why ppl still rather live on island in a 3rd world country just to not have DO after their name... :confused:

24IdaFire said:

heck yes they are!

<----

haha j/k

or am I? ;)

Rachael07 said:
heck yes they are!

<----

haha j/k

or am I? ;)

No, you're not kidding. You and Dr. Kicia are prime examples!

Packamylase said:
No, you're not kidding. You and Dr. Kicia are prime examples!
:laugh: i don't know about Rachel but i think you would change your mind having me in the 8am class...lol

24IdaFire said:

:thumbup:

but i have no chance with em... im not tall enough :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
dr.kicia said:
:laugh: i don't know about Rachel but i think you would change your mind having me in the 8am class...lol

oh common!! I know you must be hot during the 8am classes!! Just need some coffee and a little bit of makeup. My feeling is you must always look your best because you never know who you will meet.

I sometimes follow that, other times I'm just too lazy! ;)

Rachael07 said:
oh common!! I know you must be hot during the 8am classes!! Just need some coffee and a little bit of makeup. My feeling is you must always look your best because you never know who you will meet.

I sometimes follow that, other times I'm just too lazy! ;)
the thing is that i hate make up and never wear it :laugh: (outside of work of course couse there i have no choice :D )...oh and i do not like coffe, i'd rather have a red bull...lot's of it :p

predrb said:

Mostly Osteopathic Manipulative Therapies. I am dedicated to working in underserved areas in both the US and the world. OMT would allow me to treat several people at lower costs than using other expensive treatments with medicine and surgeries. I can't wait to start Medical School. Hopefully I will get into UNECOM. Just gotta send out my primary applications and do well on the MCATs Saturday!!!! :)

Rachael07 said:
heck yes they are!

<----

haha j/k

or am I? ;)

Your picture is very pretty... :) I am a girl though so yeah... but from a girls prespective you are nice looking

tinylilron said:
Your picture is very pretty... :) I am a girl though so yeah... but from a girls prespective you are nice looking

haha thanks lovely lady!!! You know when a girl says your attractive, she really means it, versus the men who are...well, you know! ;)

You should get your pic up too!!! :)

p.s.-Good luck on Saturday!!

Rachael07 said:
haha thanks lovely lady!!! You know when a girl says your attractive, she really means it, versus the men who are...well, you know! ;)

You should get your pic up too!!! :)

p.s.-Good luck on Saturday!!

Thanks I will need it...

how do you get your picture up on student doctor.net?

predrb said:

I turned down the managerial position at McDonalds because I thought this was a better waste of my time. Screw you Ronald you stupid clown with your big red shoes!

tinylilron said:
Thanks I will need it...

u go to user cp(it's in the top left on the forum stripe) and then edit your avatar, just upload the pic and you are all set :)

whatdapho said:
hey Doc G, which arm service are you planning on going into after med school? I was going to do USUHS but i couldn't commit the 7 years. how long is the committment if you just want to join the military but not have them pay your med school loans?

I am not 100% on this one.....but unlike enlisted people you will receive a comission.......you may resign your comission at any time if you do not have any obligations ( such as school loans THEY paid etc....). Are you thinkng about military medicine?? I most likely will not return to the military...unless i am forced to ( money ). It was a good experience I spent 4 years on an aircraft carrier.I went all over the world...flew backseat in an F18..helos..and ii would not trade my experiences for anything....but...The military is changing. It is doing away with some of the traditional customs...and becoming very political...not my cup of tea......so I came to the conclusion that politics are everywhere......and I can get paid more money to deal with them as a civilian than as a military officer....so I will stay civilian.

Jamers said:
I turned down the managerial position at McDonalds because I thought this was a better waste of my time. Screw you Ronald you stupid clown with your big red shoes!

dude be careful

he reads SDN and he is ALWAYS ready to fight!

Jamers said:

Obviously, you haven't seen the Japanese Ronald McDonald lately-- the McHottie.

mchottie.jpg

scpod said:
Obviously, you haven't seen the Japanese Ronald McDonald lately-- the McHottie.

mchottie.jpg

Id slam her in my clown car...I mean what...****...redheads rock

doc G said:
I am not 100% on this one.....but unlike enlisted people you will receive a comission.......you may resign your comission at any time if you do not have any obligations ( such as school loans THEY paid etc....). Are you thinkng about military medicine?? I most likely will not return to the military...unless i am forced to ( money ). It was a good experience I spent 4 years on an aircraft carrier.I went all over the world...flew backseat in an F18..helos..and ii would not trade my experiences for anything....but...The military is changing. It is doing away with some of the traditional customs...and becoming very political...not my cup of tea......so I came to the conclusion that politics are everywhere......and I can get paid more money to deal with them as a civilian than as a military officer....so I will stay civilian.

I was accepted into HPSP and I don't think I will do it. I feel the same way as you; I can make more money or the same amount of money in the long run.

I decided on DO because I want to be 300k in debt when I finish.

tinylilron said:
Thanks I will need it...

woohoo!! get it!!!

yay for your picture being up!

Rachael07 said:
woohoo!! get it!!!

yay for your picture being up!

YAY FOR PICTURES BEING UP :D um..yeah...I'm doing it for the girls too. J/K...my reasons for applying DO are basically just a big mix of what everyone has said thus far--more consistent with my personal ideals--cheaper health care without compromising quality (better for our strained health system)--a different alternative to traditional medicine that today's diverse society needs---and it's like totally f*&#*($ sick yo.

predrb said:

3/3 EMS medical directors of mine were DO's.

pappy846 said:
YAY FOR PICTURES BEING UP :D um..yeah...I'm doing it for the girls too. J/K...my reasons for applying DO are basically just a big mix of what everyone has said thus far--more consistent with my personal ideals--cheaper health care without compromising quality (better for our strained health system)--a different alternative to traditional medicine that today's diverse society needs---and it's like totally f*&#*($ sick yo.

What a cutie!
I could give you a reason why I am applying to DO schools! ;)

OSUdoc08 said:
3/3 EMS medical directors of mine were DO's.

My mentor for my research is a mentor and he is AMAZING!!!! Seriously this guy should get an award just for being a SUPER AMAZING person!!! He is a role model to me. I hope I can accomplish half of what he has and be at least half as great!

Rachael07 said:
What a cutie!
I could give you a reason why I am applying to DO schools! ;)

I like the blondes :cool: IM me on AIM :laugh: Oh internet pick ups.... :smuggrin: ...and overuse of smileys... ;)

pappy846 said:
I like the blondes :cool: IM me on AIM :laugh: Oh internet pick ups.... :smuggrin: ...and overuse of smileys... ;)

yay, we started another "one-handed-typing thread" :scared:

Jamers said:
yay, we started another "one-handed-typing thread" :scared:
hungry always has a bread on his mind :laugh:

predrb said:

I applied to both, I want to be a physician and applying to MD and DO increased my chances of getting in somewhere. Ultimatley DO programs were the only ones that accepted me (I only completed apps at 9 schools total), but I am totally happy with my decision to apply to DO schools and attend one. ;)

OP, if you are unsure if you should apply DO, I would suggest meeting w/ and perhaps shadowing one or several DO's to find out more. Good luck :luck: