Why did you "take time off"/wait to apply??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donuthole

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So lately at interviews I've been getting the question of why i am not going directly to med school after college and why i decided to take this year off while i apply. honestly, the reason i did it was b/c my mcat score sucked and so i couldn't apply during my senior year. but i don't want to say that answer b/c it sounds dumb. i'm just curious what some of you guys would say, if you would be soo kind :D

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that was a pretty run of the mill thing to do. Im taking time off right now and I plan on telling the adcoms I wanted a break from school to do research.

I needed time to begin work on my first novel ;)
it's absolutely true!
But i didn't even consider medical school after I graduated...it's wasn't on my radar screen. about a year after I got my degree, it popped into my head that I should go into medicine...I took my prereq and pow! here I am a year and a half later, checking my email every 5 seconds for interview invites.
good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
well if you took the mcat again.....

you can say something to the effect of.....well i decided it would be best if i took the year off the improve myself as an applicant and work on the weaknesses that i thought would hinder my chances at gaining acceptance into medical school... etc....

I took 3 years off of school and worked in orlando. (for a small entertainment company there :) )

Most people asked me what I did for my job and then followed it up with why did you take time off or they implied it. It was simple for me. I am not made of money nor did I take my MCAT yet. So, I took the time to study for the MCAT and I also needed to pay off some bills. Everyone understand the need to pay off credit cards, phone bills, school loans, and to get the money to actually be able to apply to medical school, which is nearing 3K-5K for me right now. I am afraid to count up my receipts. Thats my answer and I'm sticking to it :)

thats odd, i'm taking a year off and i haven't been asked that at any of my interviews. i also thought it was pretty run of the mill, most people i meet at interviews also have taken a year off. stress the good parts of taking the year off, my interviewers also smile and agree with me when i talk about how i finally have time to relax, catch up on good reading, travel!!, catch up w/ my family, and recharge my batteries before i enter med school! (im working in research during my year off so after talking about that, i point out the other stuff ive been doing as well). definitely dont mention your mcat score--stress the important things youve learned over your year off (through work and personal accomplishments)