Why didnt you choose a DO school instead?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The first rule of posting statements of fact is that you back it up with hard proof. It's a simple concept. You say that MD's are accepted universally. I ask for hard proof. You counter by asking *me* to disprove *your* fact. This is called the 'burden of proof' fallacy. I haven't made any statments of fact - you have, and you have yet to prove, or even indicate how your statement is true, aside from simply it being your *opinion*.

Then I asked you an easy question that would not take long to answer. I asked you if your school's MD was universally accepted. I have yet to get an answer to this question from you.

I honestly have nothing against people who go offshore to get their MDs. By that simple act of leaving the country they show me that they are very willing to go above and beyond to get a medical education. I have a lot of friends who went that route and I respect them for it. We can argue all day long about which route is better. But in the end it's an individual's determination of what's best for them.

But I draw the line is when people post blanket statements about the superiority or inferiority of one route to medicine over another, that are either opinion, conjecture, or simply untrue.

So please, say what you want. Just be prepared to back up what you say. If not, then be prepared to have all your statements questioned. I'm sure you've encountered evidence-based medicine during school. Same thing. Prove it or don't present it as fact.

What I find is funny is the constant circular knowledge and the time wasted on this concept, please I do not have to prove a known and universal fact and that is MD's practice in every country in the world, I feel this is a safe statement without having to waste my and your time with endless "Prove it" I said the statement would be false if you could post one country that does not allow MD practice, that is your burden of proof since you are the DO student who wants to argue this statement.

Making up that I made this a Caribbean issue is false, read my posts I never made such a claim, I said MD practice in all countries around the world, you see DO's cannot change the fact that they are not an MD.

As far as my school is concern what does that have to do with anything? I have not worried about it since it is accepted in the USA where I'm going to practice. I do not intend ,for just you, to spend the time and research this it has nothing to do with what i said you just want to argue and win in some way. (I have held on to this due to your insult that I give out "Bad advice" and mislead, by saying MD's can practice in all countries, I never said, never mind you, from what school, I did that on purpose from the beginning, read my posts)

(OK disclaimer yes I think DO=MD I have said it over and over again)

How does one become a Mod? I thought they did because of giving good advice not arguing forever over silly things?

Members don't see this ad.

Not even close. Chiropractic has NO place in this discussion. Chiropractors ARE NOT medical doctors. There is NO program of chiropractic study that is even close to the program of study for MDs or DOs. Having classes titled similarily does not make courses equal. To say nothing about the absence of clerkships or residencies (or even experience with truly sick patients) in the chiropractic training programs.

MD = DO (and yes I am an MD from a US school since that seems to matter to everyone here). I am at one of the most prestigious post grad training institutions in the world for my residency. As a senior, I've had great interns who are MBBSs, MDs, and DOs. Guess what - each performs to their own talents. IT DOESN'T MATTER. The only idiots trying to prove otherwise are chiropractors, premeds, and egomanical MD medical students with chips on their shoulders because they spent far too much time studying in undergrad and never had a life. Get over it. In residency it won't matter what letters are after someone's name, you'll just be happy they are there to sign you out!

- H

I agree

What I find is funny is the constant circular knowledge and the time wasted on this concept, please I do not have to prove a known and universal fact and that is MD's practice in every country in the world, I feel this is a safe statement without having to waste my and your time with endless "Prove it" I said the statement would be false if you could post one country that does not allow MD practice, that is your burden of proof since you are the DO student who wants to argue this statement.

Making up that I made this a Caribbean issue is false, read my posts I never made such a claim, I said MD practice in all countries around the world, you see DO's cannot change the fact that they are not an MD.

As far as my school is concern what does that have to do with anything? I have not worried about it since it is accepted in the USA where I'm going to practice. I do not intend ,for just you, to spend the time and research this it has nothing to do with what i said you just want to argue and win in some way. (I have held on to this due to your insult that I give out "Bad advice" and mislead, by saying MD's can practice in all countries, I never said, never mind you, from what school, I did that on purpose from the beginning, read my posts)

(OK disclaimer yes I think DO=MD I have said it over and over again)

How does one become a Mod? I thought they did because of giving good advice not arguing forever over silly things?

First, if you take offense at my posts, I am sorry, as that was not my intention. This will be my last post to this thread as I feel we are not getting anywhere.

However, I have to comment that again, the statement that "MD's practice in every country in the world" is a true but valueless statement. Sure, MDs in their country of origin practice in *that* country of origin. What I'm getting at, and perhaps did not adequately get across, is the idea that a USMD=universal acceptance may not be as true as a lot of people believe.

I've said before, and I'll say it again, that I'm sure that the USMD *is* accepted more widely abroad than the USDO. But it's not the automatic license that people seem to believe it to be. Some countries will grant a license to a USMD graduate only after taking their exams, or might require additional years of training, or not at all.

I bring your school into this because, well, it's not a USMD school, and therefore is a separate issue, and I'm curious if you know where *your* school's graduates can practice.

My being a mod had nothing to do with the discussion at hand. I've treated you fairly, and have never insulted you personally, your school, or the choices that you've made. Please don't make my being a mod an issue, because it isn't.

In closing, all the best for you in the future.