Why DO and not an MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkey12

Monkey12
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering applying to DO schools and was wondering how an applicant would answer such a question. Just curious what some of your arguments would be for the above question. From my understanding, allopathic medicine is moving toward a more holistic approach which is what I thought was one of the distinguishing qualities. Excuse my ignorance, I really just want to practice medicine, but after reading several posts I see a re-occuring only apply if Osteopathy is really what you want. I guess I'm trying to determine if it is?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Monkey12 said:
I am considering applying to DO schools and was wondering how an applicant would answer such a question. Just curious what some of your arguments would be for the above question. From my understanding, allopathic medicine is moving toward a more holistic approach which is what I thought was one of the distinguishing qualities. Excuse my ignorance, I really just want to practice medicine, but after reading several posts I see a re-occuring only apply if Osteopathy is really what you want. I guess I'm trying to determine if it is?
Thanks!

Think about it really hard.... besides the "holistic" approach (which both MD and DO do anyway), what *else* sets DO apart from MD?

Hint: Look at the curriculums of an MD vs. DO school. You'll notice ONE major difference.

megboo said:
Think about it really hard.... besides the "holistic" approach (which both MD and DO do anyway), what *else* sets DO apart from MD?

Hint: Look at the curriculums of an MD vs. DO school. You'll notice ONE major difference.

I mean besides the manipulation. Sorry, I kinda assumed that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Monkey12 said:
... but after reading several posts I see a re-occuring only apply if Osteopathy is really what you want. I guess I'm trying to determine if it is?
Thanks!

You don't have to live and die by the "osteopathic philosophy" in order to apply to DO schools. There are are extremists in any group. I love the idea of osteopathic medicine, but I'll admit that I'm a little turned off by the extreme views of some "die-hard osteopaths." All of medicine is evolving these days. NPs are lobbying for this and DPTs are lobbying for that. Slowly, but surely, the distinctions between different healthcare providers are eroding. The one thing, though, that will always distinguish osteopathic medicine from its allopathic brother is OMM. You don't have to be a "gung-ho" osteopath, but if you have absolutely no appreciation for OMM at all, then you must realize that you will be doing a whole lot of work for nothing during med school.

I don't think that MD vs DO really had anything to do with my choice of school; it was more that I fell in love with the place when I visited it. If I had visited an MD school and really fallen in love with it, I might just have made a different decision. However, I didn't really like the two MD schools I visited. They looked good on paper, but not in person.

Visit some schools and try to look at more than just MD vs DO. You'll soon realize that there really aren't that many philisophical differences, but there are a heck of a lot of differences between individual schools. People tend to perform better when they feel comfortable. Find a place that makes you feel comfortable.

Simple: You will find cooler people in DO school than MD because most kids are a little older, have more life experience and are well rounded. They are more down to earth and don't have that elitist attitude of I'm-better-than-you.

Period.

FrogE7 said:
Simple: You will find cooler people in DO school than MD because most kids are a little older, have more life experience and are well rounded. They are more down to earth and don't have that elitist attitude of I'm-better-than-you.

Period.

Come on now, I know lots of cool MDs and jerk DOs. Don't take this thread to an us vs. them philosophy because you know that just isn't right.

FrogE7 said:

Period.

They are cooler because they are older and have more life experience?

Whatever.

i dont think its appropriate to talk about omm and the holistic approach towards modern medicine especially if we havent started med school yet! as scpod mentioned, find what specifically appeals to you and use that to answer such a question.

if nothing does.... then you might be in a bit of trouble... :smuggrin:.

Monkey12 said:
Thanks!

flip a quarter and pick one.
Article suggests there are differences between MD and DO, but personlly I feel there is no difference. After visiting the school and interviewing, and talking to DO students... well, that is my conclusion. However, have all that being said, social acceptance is another issue.

There were a good mixture of MDs and DOs in the hospital that I used to work at and I never even saw any difference in terms of their treatment methods, bedside manners, their interaction with medical staff, etc. To me there was no difference between the two. I guess I've often wondered why even create 2 separate schools of thought when there's so much confusion in the hospital as it is .... plus the debate between MD and DO would never exist. I mean nowadays I think patients would benefit if the holistic approach is practiced by both MDs and DOs.

As much as I hate to admit I am starting to notice that. Not that DO students are cooler(I am not sure what qualifies as cool) but that they are a little older with more life experience and don't have the elitist attitude of I'm better-than-you. But then again, it's not what the MD or DO students are like, but rather where do you see yourself fit in better. Not only is the school interviewing you but you are interviewing the school as well. I mean God forbit I got accepted to UCLA (haven't even applied) I am not sure that I would fit well in the class. You got to enjoy your classmates and the school to be happy.

FrogE7 said:

Period.

onmywayRN said:
You got to enjoy your classmates and the school to be happy.

true, especially when we'll all end up @ the same place in the end, might as well be happy while you're on your way! ;) :luck:

BTW, OP, I am going to DO school b/c that is where I got accepted, I applied and interviewed @ both MD and DO programs, but ended up w/ 2 DO acceptances and no MD acceptances, and you know what, I'm totally excited to be going to DO school, I feel it will be a very good fit for me, if I didn't feel this way, I would not have applied DO to begin w/. You have to decide for yourself if it's what you want to do. ;)

Obviously, I think it's fine to apply to both, it gives you a better chance of getting in somewhere and you'll be a physician regardess, DO just gives you the additional training in OMT when compared to MD. GOOD LUCK w/ whatever you decide! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
strawberryfield said:
true, especially when we'll all end up @ the same place in the end, might as well be happy while you're on your way! ;) :luck:

BTW, OP, I am going to DO school b/c that is where I got accepted, I applied and interviewed @ both MD and DO programs, but ended up w/ 2 DO acceptances and no MD acceptances, and you know what, I'm totally excited to be going to DO school, I feel it will be a very good fit for me, if I didn't feel this way, I would not have applied DO to begin w/. You have to decide for yourself if it's what you want to do. ;)

Obviously, I think it's fine to apply to both, it gives you a better chance of getting in somewhere and you'll be a physician regardess, DO just gives you the additional training in OMT when compared to MD. GOOD LUCK w/ whatever you decide! :luck:

But you are gonna go to penn state if you get off that waitlist, right?

Buckeye(OH) said:
They are cooler because they are older and have more life experience?

Whatever.

Yep, exactly what I said. Thanks for re-stating. :D

aside from manipulation and the "holistic" approach which is confusing and cliche (I mean if you are a good doctor, especially in primary care, whether you are a MD or DO if someone comes in for a cough you are not going to just give them cough syrup and tell them to rest, you are going to do some chest x-rays, ask what else may be bothering them other than the cough, etc. In that way I think both M.D.'s and D.O.'s can and do use the holistic approach. (sorry for the rant) ), there are some fundamental philosophy differences between MD's and DO's, the ones that stand out to me at this moment are that:

1)DO's believe that structure influences function

2)DO's believe that the human body has the capacity to heal itself

(the first two are correlated with OMT, in which the use of hands is supposed to re-position the body back to its proper form so that the nerves, bones, blood vessels are realigned so the fluids of your body flow better and this can help the body heal itself)

3)DO's place an emphasis on preventative medicine

(this one has to do with why DO's are generally pushed into primary care, if you can make the connection... Great, if you need help with this let me know)

So if you are deciding between DO and MD ask yourself if these are philosophies you can agree with. Would you rather tell someone to exercise daily and eat healthy or would you rather perform open heart surgery for a patient who is obese and lives an inactive life? Would you rather be Dr. House, or McDreamy (doctors that cure one or more life-threatening illnesses per week), or a doctor that may not be exciting enough to be on primetime TV? This is just some food for thought. Good luck deciding!

DRKUBA said:
But you are gonna go to penn state if you get off that waitlist, right?

I would, as they were my first choice, but I don't see that happening as there has been NO WL movement whatsoever to date this year there... I believe they over-accepted and had no use for the waitlist, I am very excited about KCOM, though! While not my first, they were my 2nd choice! :D :thumbup:

If you get this question in an interview you don't have to talk about MD vs DO. You can talk about the positive aspects of the school and what factors you are looking for in a medical school. You can certainly mention that you dig OMM and want to learn more about it...but you don't have to go on and on that you only like DO if that's not the case.

The only wrong answer would be to say that you are applying DO because your stats suck. Otherwise, be honest.

strawberryfield said:
I would, as they were my first choice, but I don't see that happening as there has been NO WL movement whatsoever to date this year there... I believe they over-accepted and had no use for the waitlist, I am very excited about KCOM, though! While not my first, they were my 2nd choice! :D :thumbup:

Yea i have a similar thing going, could change once I visit more schools, but my first choice is UCONN (MD) and second is UMDNJSOM (DO)

strawberryfield said:

I was like 3rd on PSU's waitlist two years ago. It didnt move one person.

DRKUBA said:
Yea i have a similar thing going, could change once I visit more schools, but my first choice is UCONN (MD) and second is UMDNJSOM (DO)

good luck!!!!!!! :luck: I'm sure you'll get in to one or maybe both! ;) I heard UConn has this thing where the admit over half the class as females, that always seemed strange to me...when most schools are near 50/50

Buckeye(OH) said:
I was like 3rd on PSU's waitlist two years ago. It didnt move one person.

that stinks! :thumbdown: looks like I'm in for the same fate :rolleyes: oh well...

TerpDO said:
aside from manipulation and the "holistic" approach which is confusing and cliche (I mean if you are a good doctor, especially in primary care, whether you are a MD or DO if someone comes in for a cough you are not going to just give them cough syrup and tell them to rest, you are going to do some chest x-rays, ask what else may be bothering them other than the cough, etc. In that way I think both M.D.'s and D.O.'s can and do use the holistic approach. (sorry for the rant) ), there are some fundamental philosophy differences between MD's and DO's, the ones that stand out to me at this moment are that:

1)DO's believe that structure influences function

2)DO's believe that the human body has the capacity to heal itself

(the first two are correlated with OMT, in which the use of hands is supposed to re-position the body back to its proper form so that the nerves, bones, blood vessels are realigned so the fluids of your body flow better and this can help the body heal itself)

3)DO's place an emphasis on preventative medicine

(this one has to do with why DO's are generally pushed into primary care, if you can make the connection... Great, if you need help with this let me know)

So if you are deciding between DO and MD ask yourself if these are philosophies you can agree with. Would you rather tell someone to exercise daily and eat healthy or would you rather perform open heart surgery for a patient who is obese and lives an inactive life? Would you rather be Dr. House, or McDreamy (doctors that cure one or more life-threatening illnesses per week), or a doctor that may not be exciting enough to be on primetime TV? This is just some food for thought. Good luck deciding!

Great post! Thanks for your insight, this is exactly what I was looking for.

hoberto said:
If you get this question in an interview you don't have to talk about MD vs DO. You can talk about the positive aspects of the school and what factors you are looking for in a medical school. You can certainly mention that you dig OMM and want to learn more about it...but you don't have to go on and on that you only like DO if that's not the case.

The only wrong answer would be to say that you are applying DO because your stats suck. Otherwise, be honest.
Cool, I had just been seeing posts along the line as only apply to DO schools if thats what you REALLY want which is why I posted my question, but it seems more gray than black and white.

Monkey12 said:
Cool, I had just been seeing posts along the line as only apply to DO schools if thats what you REALLY want which is why I posted my question, but it seems more gray than black and white.

No problem!

The issue with so many people warning to only apply DO if you really want it is that you might ultimately be unhappy. If you enter a DO program and you think students in an MD program are superior to you and your colleagues you will certainly be disappointed every time you write DO after your name, not MD.

Just be honest during your interviews.

Monkey12 said:
Thanks!

The main reason is location. If it doesn't really matter which degree you get, then compare schools and see which one is more of a fit for you, regardless of the degree it offers.

Don't just attend an MD school at a place you will hate.