Why do combined programs ONLY show up under the Allopathic Program search?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to both MD and DO programs. I have noticed, however, that whenever I search for a program that is combined, it ONLY shows up when I do an Allopathic search. How can that be? I thought I get to DECIDE if I want to apply to a combined program via the MD or DO route myself...

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to both MD and DO programs. I have noticed, however, that whenever I search for a program that is combined, it ONLY shows up when I do an Allopathic search. How can that be? I thought I get to DECIDE if I want to apply to a combined program via the MD or DO route myself...

Thanks for any input!

Several of the combined programs i'm interested in could be found on both...I did notice one was just on the MD side...I don't think matters how you apply though, as what will matter will be ranking via NMS or NRMP when the time comes.

Several of the combined programs i'm interested in could be found on both...I did notice one was just on the MD side...I don't think matters how you apply though, as what will matter will be ranking via NMS or NRMP when the time comes.

Thanks for your reply. Are you sure about this? I've heard different things like if you apply to a combined program via MD then you can't rank it for the DO match... etc.. I coudl be wrong. It wouldn't make any sense anyway because I've found all the combined programs show up as either DO only or MD only so you have to make you pick...

Does anyone else know this?

Thanks!