Why do D.O's go into M.D residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wall2cp3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to trash either side, but since each type of doctor makes the same in his respective field why don't d.o's just stick to d.o residencies? Does it have to do with the quality of teaching or something else and what can a d.o benefit from an m.d residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not trying to trash either side, but since each type of doctor makes the same in his respective field why don't d.o's just stick to d.o residencies? Does it have to do with the quality of teaching or something else and what can a d.o benefit from an m.d residency?

:banana:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Use the search function. You'll save yourself a lot of time and hassle, as this has been covered dozens of times over the years.

Members don't see this ad :)
first and most importantly, not enough D.O. residencies for all graduating D.O.'s.

first and most importantly, not enough D.O. residencies for all graduating D.O.'s.

Some people do it because they think there are "better opportunities" for specialities, but policy is changing... so one doesn't necessarily have to go to an MD residency to attend a fellowship.

But the actual answer is what pattr said. The ratio of graduating DO students and DO residency positions is very big, meaning there simply aren't enough DO residency positions for all DO graduates. So in order to get into a residency, some DOs must apply MD residencies.

Also MD programs are located in more places. Also MD programs typically have better quality control. Or so I've been told.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Some people do it because they think there are "better opportunities" for specialities, but policy is changing... so one doesn't necessarily have to go to an MD residency to attend a fellowship.

But the actual answer is what pattr said. The ratio of graduating DO students and DO residency positions is very big, meaning there simply aren't enough DO residency positions for all DO graduates. So in order to get into a residency, some DOs must apply MD residencies.

Its also disheartening to see how new D.O. schools are popping up yet residency spots are at a standstill. Also, I'm sure there are FM positions that go unfilled.

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Education/Pages/new-aoa-approved-ogme-programs.aspxhttp://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Education/Pages/new-aoa-approved-ogme-programs.aspx

New residencies are in fact being created every year. Surely not enough to keep up with the number of med school slots, but it's definitely a start.

4623 DO graduates in 2012. There were, however, 5014 DOs looking for post graduate training in 2012. 2655 AOA post grad positions were offered in 2012. 594 of those positions were traditional rotating internships.

I'm looking into MD residencies because that is what is available near my home & family. Plus the programs that I am interested in are very strong in the field I hope to practice in. Both are fully-licensed physicians, and some DOs do not have any intention of practicing OMM anyway.

The most obvious reason is, because they can. Why not apply to both and increase your odds of getting into a specialty of your choice.

Location. The majority of DO residencies are in Ohio and Michigan. No way I'm living anywhere but the south or the northeast.

MD programs area definitely in more desirable locations and also pay quite a bit more, on average. You can find this on FRIEDA. DO programs appear to be in it for a check of some kind or really cheap labor and you definitely have to watch your way home as you leave the hospital at night. If your job is down the street from 3 liquor stores and a strip club, you will be better off finding another program to go to. Use Google Earth to take a look around when you start your 3rd year and want to do audition spots. The explosion of Traditional Internship spots are recruiting tools for programs to get residents there in the hopes of keeping them there for the bulk of their residency and afterward until fellowship.

https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/viewProgramSearch.do

The MD programs have had to go through a lot of quality control measures to make sure that their programs are solid and have a good number of preceptors that actually want to teach. The DO programs, from my experience have only a couple teaching physicians and the ratio to students at many programs is low. Once they get a visit from the ACGME auditors, you may have to find a job much sooner.

Please use the search function, it's one of the first posts, a "sticky" at the top of every main page.

Welcome to SDN, please take this survey:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=971186

Im a soon to be DO school matriculant and this is what I've learned so far on the subject.

-ratio of DO grads to AOA residencies
-what was previously a restriction of osteopathic residents applying for ACGME fellowships by the ACGME (grads have/had to complete an ACGME internship/residency to qualify for an ACGME fellowship).
-Greater renown and size of MD residencies (this is a generalization as there are quite a few AOA residencies at large academic hospitals just not as many).
-quality of programs.

Just recently though the ACGME, AOA, and AACOM have agreed to start comprehensive joint accreditation of all AOA residencies starting in 2015. As a result the AOA will be adopting ACGME program standards which I hope will increase the level of GME at osteopathic residencies.

If anybody has other stuff to add or address in what I've just written feel free. This is my interpretation of what I've learned.

Im a soon to be DO school matriculant and this is what I've learned so far on the subject.

-what was previously a restriction of osteopathic residents applying for ACGME fellowships by the ACGME (grads have/had to complete an ACGME internship/residency to qualify for an ACGME fellowship).
-Greater renown and size of MD residencies (this is a generalization as there are quite a few AOA residencies at large academic hospitals just not as many).
-quality of programs.

Just recently though the ACGME, AOA, and AACOM have agreed to start comprehensive joint accreditation of all AOA residencies starting in 2015. As a result the AOA will be adopting ACGME program standards which I hope will increase the level of GME at osteopathic residencies.

If anybody has other stuff to add or address in what I've just written feel free. This is my interpretation of what I've learned.

Except for your first bullet, this is my understanding as well. I've proven myself anywhere from slightly misinformed to extremely misinformed on this topic several times though.

Except for your first bullet, this is my understanding as well. I've proven myself anywhere from slightly misinformed to extremely misinformed on this topic several times though.

except for his first bullet?? I'm not sure what you mean...

4623 DO graduates in 2012. There were, however, 5014 DOs looking for post graduate training in 2012. 2655 AOA post grad positions were offered in 2012. 594 of those positions were traditional rotating internships.

The evidence is right there... there simply aren't enough AOA residencies for all graduating DO's right now.

All the cool kids are doing it. I just wanna fit in ya know?