Why do/did you want to be a physician specifically?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunningMochi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
And you can't say because you want to help people in a Healthcare setting because there are plenty of other careers out there that will allow you to do that :D

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted the free pens that pharmaceutical reps give you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
And you can't say because you want to help people in a Healthcare setting because there are plenty of other careers out there that will allow you to do that :D
Now? Because I want to pay back my med school loans, FML.:boom:

so my pre-med adviser would stop bothering me for a better, less artificial version of my personal statement

oh wait

Lol you guys are mean :dead:. I was just wondering because I'm wondering if the reasons I have are justified for actually going and if it's similar to other people

So that I could learn how to write my own essay

literally what goes through my head every time one of these threads pops up.

also can I just say.. how impressive is it that your avatar is a legit bananafish. I spent a good five minutes staring at it

Reactions: 1 users
Lol you guys are mean :dead:. I was just wondering because I'm wondering if the reasons I have are justified for actually going and if it's similar to other people

just having some fun OP, don't take it personally (;

but you'll probably have more luck if you give instead of get first

I was surronded by medical fields my entire life (dad was a former EMT, mom is a life long office manager, uncle was a nurse) then I married into a family of physicians and saw that really they weren't that different from me.
I don't mind working long and hard, I needed a career and not just a job, plus I do enjoy a great many things about medicine

I love anatomy and physiology and I like tinkering around with my hands and being a doctor gives me a reasonable chance at doing both simultaneously.

But yes, using that to help people was one of the major factors.

I was a chemical engineer. I looked around and saw half a hot girl in my 300 person class. I realized I would be miserable working in this field. I went home. I was good at sciences and I thought about what I could do. I then realized that the worst doctor would be considered hotter and more of a catch than the best chemical engineer. I changed my major that week.

Reactions: 1 users
just having some fun OP, don't take it personally (;

but you'll probably have more luck if you give instead of get first

That's true lol, I figured when you guys started messing with me :p. My immediate family has had a whole host of health problems and there were times where I felt that there PCP didn't do enough (one in particular) and it felt like they didn't care. I wanted to provide better and non-judgemental care for others.

The type of research and career I envision for myself requires medical training. I won't know if it's worth it for another decade or so but I'll enjoy the ride anyhow.

I was a chemical engineer. I looked around and saw half a hot girl in my 300 person class. I realized I would be miserable working in this field. I went home. I was good at sciences and I thought about what I could do. I then realized that the worst doctor would be considered hotter and more of a catch than the best chemical engineer. I changed my major that week.
that's deep...

Did you end up with the hot girl?

Plus I don't sleep.

Did you end up with the hot girl?

Plus I don't sleep.
Yes sir :) I'm 38. She just turned 30 and won a beauty pageant.