Why do medical students waste their time in student government?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spetzler-Martin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are quite a bit of people in my class who spend hours and hours of time working on student government related stuff. Outside of passion, I can't understand why someone would subject themselves to this sort of workload when they could be using that time on more high yield activities (Step 1 prep, research, sleep, etc.). Do they think they are getting brownie points for residency admissions? Someone please enlighten me of the mysteries of medical school government.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This is the most SDN-like post I've ever read.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
There are quite a bit of people in my class who spend hours and hours of time working on student government related stuff. Outside of passion, I can't understand why someone would subject themselves to this sort of workload when they could be using that time on more high yield activities (Step 1 prep, research, sleep, etc.). Do they think they are getting brownie points for residency admissions? Someone please enlighten me of the mysteries of medical school government.
well, i am not sure, since i am not in student government, but maybe some people want to get some leadership experience, management experience. They might be excited about being able to influence processes in the school, and have an impact on how the school functions, give opportunities to other students, etc.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview at a top 10 IM program today probably because my extracurriculars which were things similar to student government. Low-midtier USMD, Step 1 21X, Step 2 23X, 3rd quartile, I think it can definitely be a very strong component of your residency app if you can talk about it in a meaningful way

Got an interview at a top 10 IM program today probably because my extracurriculars which were things similar to student government. Low-midtier USMD, Step 1 21X, Step 2 23X, 3rd quartile, I think it can definitely be a strong component of your residency app if you can talk about it in a meaningful way
wow!!! congratulations!!! very impressive!!!

Reactions: 1 user
wow!!! congratulations!!! very impressive!!!
Thank you!!
I probably won't be ranked highly by them lol but its nice knowing that programs will look at your entire application beyond your scores. I bet an applicants "narrative" and extracurriculars will become more important going forward with step 1 going to p/f

Thank you!!
I probably won't be ranked highly by them lol but its nice knowing that programs will look at your entire application beyond your scores. I bet an applicants "narrative" and extracurriculars will become more important going forward with step 1 going to p/f
Well rock that interview!!! Show them that you are a superstar !!!! Get that freaking spot !!!! I PMed you .

I’ll bite. This feels like part trolling and part bitterness at not being charismatic enough to be in charge of anything.

Short story: A life dedicated to Studying, research, And sleep is boring and makes you boring.

Long story: The intangibles. Those who do the high-up stuff like president and VP actually play a role in fighting off and arguing against all the stupid **** they make you do in med school, and fighting for change. Unless their an ass-kissing, boot-licking, yes-man. Sometimes it works, and these are the people who fall into the real leadership positions later on during their career, not the yahootsnik who spent 12 hours a day locked in the library til you could see their blue-ass veins from across the room.

then there’s the folks who just want stuff for the CV., because atleast at my school leadership positions earn you “points” towards Your final ranking on the MSPE and earn you kudos from the school during GHHS nomination time.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I’ll bite. This feels like part trolling and part bitterness at not being charismatic enough to be in charge of anything.

Short story: A life dedicated to Studying, research, And sleep is boring and makes you boring.

Long story: The intangibles. Those who do the high-up stuff like president and VP actually play a role in fighting off and arguing against all the stupid **** they make you do in med school, and fighting for change. Unless their an ass-kissing, boot-licking, yes-man. Sometimes it works, and these are the people who fall into the real leadership positions later on during their career, not the yahootsnik who spent 12 hours a day locked in the library til you could see their blue-ass veins from across the room.

then there’s the folks who just want stuff for the CV., because atleast at my school leadership positions earn you “points” towards Your final ranking on the MSPE and earn you kudos from the school during GHHS nomination time.

So because I don't want to waste my time in student government, I'm uncharismatic? Makes sense. And trust me, I'm not bitter at the people wasting hours of time of sending emails and doing logistical bs that has no value in residency admissions. I sense zero charisma through their emails. And research is not boring. You probably are just bad at it and have declared that it's boring. Step and research is king and will always be that way.

I go to a top 5 school. Wouldn't have gotten without strong leadership skills. But a good leader knows what's worth leading.

Reactions: 2 users
guys, lets not turn it into a fight please? lets just all agree that we each will make medical school the experience that we want. People want to be in student government? let them be! i am not, for example, because as a 35 year old veteran i am up to my ears in past leadership experience. Instead i am working on other aspects of application, such as research, and a few other things. You do you. lets not snap at each other and criticize each other's choices. we are all colleagues, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.