Why do people attend Penn dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justdoit90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from the fact that it is an Ivy League school? Just want to know what's attracting people to attend such an expensive school?

Members don't see this ad.

Out of all my interviews (went to 10), it was the most welcoming by far. They had the friendliest students and they all seemed very happy with their education. They offer tons of opportunities like different honors programs and many dual-degree options as well. They are renovating the building, so the "dungeon" pre-clinc will be no more soon. Philly is also an awesome city.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably because it's an Ivy League school and they only rank you from 1-11 so the rest of the students are ranked as #11, which makes no sense...
Honestly it's not that difficult to get into, at least, not as difficult as you would expect from an Ivy...I know of more people who got into state schools or UC's and declined Penn or got into Penn but not any cheaper alternatives (state schools) than of people who declined cheaper alternatives for Penn.

Reactions: 1 users
Because it's a dental school they got into.

Reactions: 5 users
Got all my expenses covered by uncle sam, so I want to go to a place that I can enjoy for the next 4 years. Its got everything I was looking for.

Reactions: 3 users
An environment that feels like a college I like being part of a campus so I can mingle and not focus on dentistry every waking moment. Surrounded by undergrads and other graduate students who are very high caliber. Also access to facilities like the Penn Gym, 24hr libraries, and football/basketball games.
Leaves the option to specialize open
Student body is very close nit, friendly/supportive, does events with other graduate programs
Cheap Cost of Living
In a big city
Big Alumni support and international prestige
Aside from the dungeon, very up to date learning techniques and tools (also theyre remodeling everything so going to be really nice)

At the end of the day its 4 years of life, I want to get a good education and have some enjoyment also. Mental health is big for me. If you have any other questions pm me.

Reactions: 1 user
An environment that feels like a college I like being part of a campus so I can mingle and not focus on dentistry every waking moment. Surrounded by undergrads and other graduate students who are very high caliber. Also access to facilities like the Penn Gym, 24hr libraries, and football/basketball games.
Leaves the option to specialize open
Student body is very close nit, friendly/supportive, does events with other graduate programs
Cheap Cost of Living
In a big city
Big Alumni support and international prestige
Aside from the dungeon, very up to date learning techniques and tools (also theyre remodeling everything so going to be really nice)

At the end of the day its 4 years of life, I want to get a good education and have some enjoyment also. Mental health is big for me. If you have any other questions pm me.
Nicely put! Forcing me to put Penn way up on my "dream school list" now. Sure i'll pm you with further questions. Thanks!

My top 3 would be great specialization opportunities, largely P/F grading system, and that Philly is a great city.

Quick clarification: I thought Penn had letter grading? Or did they change that recently?

Its letter grading, not P/F

Why do people go to any school outside of their state school? Because the benefits of that school out way the difference in CoA.

Why do people go to any school outside of their state school? Because the benefits of that school out way the difference in CoA.
I just wanted to know what those benefits are specifically for Penn. And did you mean to say outweigh*? And whats CoA?

I just wanted to know what those benefits are specifically for Penn. And did you mean to say outweigh*? And whats CoA?
1) Yes he meant outweigh.
2) CoA = Cost of Attendance

The benefits of going to Penn include vast research opportunities, high chance to specialize, and everything else that was listed here.

People choose dental schools for plenty of reasons, and not everyone will agree that one factor is more important than another. It depends on your goals and priorities. For somebody that wants to specialize, do research, live in a big city, and genuinely loves the school when interviewing, Penn may be the perfect place for them.

Reactions: 2 users
The benefits of going to Penn include vast research opportunities, high chance to specialize, and everything else that was listed here.

People choose dental schools for plenty of reasons, and not everyone will agree that one factor is more important than another. It depends on your goals and priorities. For somebody that wants to specialize, do research, live in a big city, and genuinely loves the school when interviewing, Penn may be the perfect place for them.
Thanks for the summary of everything.