Why do so many DOs choose allopathic residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay.. we should have a way to give people a one day break from SDN.

People go back to your corners and cry it off.

If someone is small minded and wishes to play games.. on SDN, they will mostlikely be like that durring their medical school/life. and they will be exposed for the people they are. Than they will be crushed. hahaha

Members don't see this ad.

OzDDS said:
Isn't the OMT philosophy the only reason DO is different from MD? If most DO graduates are attending MD residencies then what is the point in even having DO schools? This only adds to the DO stigma of being the the student who couldn't get accepted to an MD school. If you choose DO .. do a DO residency. Be proud of your choice of career. By the way... does anyone know of the statistics of MD graduates who attend DO residencies?

1) I have never thought of DO's having a "stigma" of not getting into MD schools. I think of us (DO's) as MD's who had fun at college (Just kidding).
2) There is nothing wrong with a DO doing an MD residency. One should not limit him/herself. If you feel that you would receive the best training at an MD place, then go for it. Same applies if you feel that a DO program provides you with the best opportunity. Its a complex and ultimately personal choice. I did an MD residency and fellowship and have absolutely no regrets.
3) I do indeed know the statistics of MD graduates who attend DO residencies. I'll give you a hint: Its a nice round number that starts with a "z" and ends with a "o".

But doesn't the AOA make up for this by having the match before the MD match? They get first dibs on their own.
No, they lose out on the best because they are forcing us to decide between the prestigious, high volume first choice MD residency that is worth the risk of placing as your #1 choice, or the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choices that happen to be DO residencies. If i have a shot at a great MD res, i'll risk getting it over the idea of not going to a DO residency. Too bad we are forced to make such a drastic all-or-nothing choice when i would be (almost) just as happy at a #2 DO spot...

Members don't see this ad :)
VentdependenT said:
I am.

Zero.

Look at the quantity and quality of residencies. Look at the ratio of grads to osteo residencies. Inform yourself.

it is not about the quality in that answer, MDs simply are not allowed to do a DO residency.

OzDDS said:
I just think that it is a bit hypocritical for the DO community to fight for years to be equivalent to MDs in every respect and even gain acceptance from the AMA, and to be able to matriculate into allopathic residency training programs, and after all that. Not allow those same MDs to apply to any Osteopathic residencies. Doesn?t seem quite fair.

most DO residencies practice OMT to some extent. since MDs do not learn OMT, this would preclude them from the residency. converse is not true for MD residencies and DOs for the most part, except for perhaps some high research laden residencies because MDs for the most part are taught more about research. however this is changing in the DO world as more and more DO schools incorporate more research thusly counter the MD arguement... perhaps if the MD schools incorporated OMT to counter the DO arguement, then there would be nothing left to argue about....

cooldreams said:
most DO residencies practice OMT to some extent. since MDs do not learn OMT, this would preclude them from the residency. converse is not true for MD residencies and DOs for the most part, except for perhaps some high research laden residencies because MDs for the most part are taught more about research. however this is changing in the DO world as more and more DO schools incorporate more research thusly counter the MD arguement... perhaps if the MD schools incorporated OMT to counter the DO arguement, then there would be nothing left to argue about....

Yes, I agree with this take on the issue.

BTW-I remember reading in Gevitz' book that there are more and more dually accredited DO/MD residencies, but I was told my another SDNer that these are few and far between. :confused:

I have a question regarding the requirements for application to allopathic residencies from the perspective of a DO student. Is the COMLEX sufficient, or do those students applying for MD residencies also have to take the USMLE? If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

elonDO said:
I have a question regarding the requirements for application to allopathic residencies from the perspective of a DO student. Is the COMLEX sufficient, or do those students applying for MD residencies also have to take the USMLE? If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

elon,

COMLEX is sufficient for most noncompetitive specialties. FP residencies, for example, will by and large take COMLEX. More competitive residencies will expect at least USMLE I, and some II as well.

With that said, if you're going to apply for a competitive residency in any field competitive or no, you may want to take USMLE if you're confident of doing well. Of course, if one doesn't do well the odds of getting a competitive residency are small anyway, so that's not much of a factor.

A big advantage to the USMLE is that you can schedule it at a point you feel comfortable. If you feel you did well on the COMLEX and think you can extend that to the USMLE (and make sure you think this because you've tested yourself on USMLE questions!) then you've got time to do the extra studying on the differences.

OzDDS said:
I thought I had a legitimate comment to make about residency issues for meds, as well as some general questions. I wasn't trying to bash anyone. Geesh..

Welcome to my ignore list. You posts are utterly worthless and contribute nothing to furthering intellecutaly sound and unbiased knowledge about other fields. By the way, don't ever touch my teeth.

VentdependenT said:
Welcome to my ignore list. You posts are utterly worthless and contribute nothing to furthering intellecutaly sound and unbiased knowledge about other fields. By the way, don't ever touch my teeth.

sweet!! as long as you promise to never manipulate me. whaa :eek: You've got a deal!

For me and several other osteopathic students the choice is not so much allopathic versus osteopathic, but distance. I would love to apply to an osteopathic residency and stay near to my wife who is finishing her grad school in New Mexico. This is the first reason why I may not take an osteopathic residency.

Another reason is the 'exclusive selection' of the AOA match. If an osteopathic residency is third, fourth or even SECOND on my preference list I don't want to be forced to take it without seeing what my options are with my other choices. I don't want to have my first two allopathic choices that are in the same city with my wife be negated because my third choice (osteopathic, sixty miles away) matched.

Just another case of the AOA's "Identity First" doctrine keeping osteopathic students apathetic.