Why do so many people down me when I try hard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll admit it. I party about 2-3 times a week, which isnt that bad, but still leaves me up kinda late sometimes. Why do people have to say things like "oh, your crazy" and "thats why Im not Pre-Med?" It usually doesnt get to me, but after a while it gets a little tired. Why voice negativity? Are people trying to make themselves feel better about their choices or grades? For the first time in my college career, im getting straight A's and Im happy b/c I didn't think that I was cabable of it. But why does someone always have something stupid to say?

Members don't see this ad.

SDN has officially become SVN

Student Venting Network

:rolleyes: :p :cool: :D ;) :eek: :p

I used to party every weekend during my Freshman year (it's hard not to at UF!). I kept this up through the first semester of my Sophmore year. My GPAs were ~3.5 during these times. I now party very little and am pulling ~3.8/semester. I'd say a 0.3 difference isn't much. If partying makes you happy, forget what others say. Enjoy life! You only have one opportunity to live it.

Wow...after reading my post, I think I'm going to start going out more often. ;)

Down one for me! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all Good for you. Working hard and seeing A's for it feels good.
Second - I don't think I understand why you are complaining. Last March when I was studying for the MCAT's I would play a show with my band, refrain from drinking, and leave after we played to study. My fellow rock and roll party animals would try to entice me to stay out, but no one ever tried to make me feel inferior.
Conversely, when I was in college (the first time) my debaucherous friends and I had nothing but respect for the studious kids who had the self-control to resist all nite drinking jam-a-thons.

Bottom line - if they aren't supportive of the things that are important to you don't even take the time to listen - do some more organic mechanism flashcards.

I am in a minority..but here goes....

I rarely drink, get to bed by 11 every night and am pulling straight A's. Yea, I'm a nerd, but better for it, I think. There is nothing wrong with being studious and approaching your studies maturely. If someone slags you for it, just think of the success you will have later...that they probably will not.

If "partying" keeps you up late, don't do it. You're much better when your mind is clear and you aren't tired. Prioritize.

Alicia

Nubian,

Don't let the others get to you. I can sort of relate to you. I was in a sorority throughout my undergrad, and for the first 2 yrs I "partied" every weekend and occasionally on a weekday when we had "mixers." I did stay up late a few times, but in the end I didn't have anything to regret. My grades were fine, and I was having fun. I didn't drink much, but I'm one of those who can have fun w/out the alcohol.

Point being...you only experience college once...have fun but at the same time don't sacrifice your grades. It seems that you've found the balance so why change your ways. I think many pple know that being pre-med is time consuming (all the labs) and rigorous, so they find it hard to swallow that on the hand you party as often as you do, and on the other hand you get good grades.

Just remember to keep a balance b/t the two!

I decided to party in high school so I was tired of it by the time I got to college. Too many hangovers/nights I can't remember.

Nubian,
I think you have to ignore what people say. Or look at them and ask, "what's your point?" Or just smile nicely ("thank you for your concern, but I'm managing just fine.") and ignore them. :)

I've experienced this myself and it never fails to irk me. When I started college, I lived in an honors dorm where people studied *all* the time, when they weren't attending meetings that I sometimes had the suspicion were just to boost up their resumes... I felt guilty when I wasn't studying, and worried because my friends there with the same classes were studying so much more than me. It wasn't until I moved out of there that I realized it was fine to go out and have fun, and that my grades were just fine. You have to find what works for you -- and no one but you can figure out that balance. So if you're doing well and happy, just ignore anyone trying to cast doubt on ya.

Congrats on your good grades thus far, but remember, they're not everything! So do your best and enjoy yourself. :)

jeez, I've gotten so preachy lately! Sorry folks. :D

I dont think you sound preachy at all...
Thank you all for responding. Im usually good at ignoring people, but sometimes they get the best of me. I just feel so uncomfortable hear. The school is maybe 3% science students, and the ones I know are failing their basic sciences. So I've been feeling alone lately and the comments hit me bad.
Another question: Does to many transfers on your transcipt look bad when applying to med school?

Hope too many transfers is not a bad thing, b/c I will be hitting my 3rd School in 2 yrs. Big state (25,000+ grads and unders) university was cool wiht a lot of stuff to do, but the walking 15 mins to class or taking a bus which took even longer..and not being able to drive got to me, so I transferred to a small school and being able to drive and run upto my classes were fun.. but you get to see the same old people with the same old hi's..etc..you get tired of it.... and now I am transferring to a college that is kinda in b/w both...

What about me? I party 0 times a week. I have like 3 friends in college. I've never even been drunk. In fact, the only time I've ever had a drink with alcohol in it was at a Passover diner. And I'm not even Jewish! My idea of an exciting evening is watching an episode of Law and Order I haven't seen... or watching a Discovery channel special on the life of a mongoose or the life of a cuttlefish. People might make fun of me and put me down IF THEY KNEW I EXISTED!

csgirl,

I am like that too... :)

Alicia

csgirl,
You're not alone in that! I love watching the discovery channel and TLC. Going out and having fun means something different to everyone. I think it's fun to go out to dinner or to movies with my friends, or just hang out at someone's house and talk... that's all I need to have fun. :)

Now if only my younger sister would stop trying to steal, I mean borrow, my ID... ever since I turned 21 she keeps rifling through my wallet! :D

going out 2-3 times a week and still pulling A's- sounds like you're doing ok to me! have a good time in college, man. remember, though- the fun doesn't have to stop in med school. my friends and i are averaging at least 3 nights a week here. it is much better than i expected.

bud

Well, I don't have much to comment on about the party thing. I'd say that I have a "good balance" of social/school life. What I really dislike, though, is the attitude that some profs have about "pre-meds" in general. I once had a professor tell my introductory bio class that "If someone calls you the night before the test and starts rattling off obscure things that you need to know for the test (as in, stuff you did NOT think you needed to know and did NOT yet memorize) the first thing you should ask them is 'Are you pre-med?'" I thought that was so harsh! I mean, geez, some of us so called "pre-meds" are (dare I say it?) nice! What a bad rap we have in some circles! :eek:

i'm sorry, this whole post is really depressing...... :(
i think it should be illegal to be in college and not party once or twice a week! :D