Why do people ask: Should I retake a 518?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1158685

I've been seeing some more comments on SDN and Reddit recently of applicants who really want T20, asking if they should retake 518 because it is below average at most T20 schools.

As I understand it, unless your stats are astronomically high, once you pass a threshold around 3.8+/515+, your stats are good enough to open the door at T20 schools and your ECs/essays take over from there.

Am I being naive? Is there any merit to the idea that you should retake a 518?

Members don't see this ad.

None whatsoever!

Reactions: 2 users
I've been seeing some more comments on SDN and Reddit recently of applicants who really want T20, asking if they should retake 518 because it is below average at most T20 schools.

As I understand it, unless your stats are astronomically high, once you pass a threshold around 3.8+/515+, your stats are good enough to open the door at T20 schools and your ECs/essays take over from there.

Am I being naive? Is there any merit to the idea that you should retake a 518?
1) Even with a 518 score, these people don't understand the concept of medians. 50% of acceptees at any med school are below the median
2) It's a sign of perfectionism. Adcoms are allergic to this
3) The MCAT is an assessment of judgement just as it is one of competence.
4) A 518 = a 525.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Because they're neurotic 20 yos with no perspective and apparently nothing better to do. Better put: wtf?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
What if the 518 is 132/122/132/132 :unsure:

Because they're neurotic 20 yos with no perspective and apparently nothing better to do. Better put: wtf?
It's somewhat of this, and something of an apparent denial of the harsh reality that is holistic admissions, I think. They tend to think "but if I get a perfect MCAT they'll have to admit me!" rather than realizing 90th percentile is effectively the same as 99th percentile. They seem to lack the ability to quantitatively analyze the effects of increased hours for other ECs the way they can an increased MCAT.

Reactions: 4 users
@LizzyM

I've been thinking about your staircase analogy, do you think people might freak out because they want to "raise" their place on the staircase at T20s?

There are of course, many other factors than MCAT, but is it "more" important than other factors which is why people make a big deal out of a 518?

In my experience, at a top 20 school that overemphasizes MCAT and GPA, as long as 3 sections are >129, it doesn't matter what the 4th section is. Of course, all the better if all 4 sections are in the 130s.

While you can take a second bite of the apple, my school is going to average the two scores so, in essence, only half of the points you gain will really get counted (e.g. 516 + 522 = 1038/2= 519 so although you jumped 6 points, you end up with an average of your two scores that is only 3 points higher than where you were. Someone who scored 520 on the first try will beat your two scores that average to 519.

So, should you retake? I see people invited for interview who retake a 515 and score in the 520s but what I don't see is the as likely case that someone retakes a 515 and scores a 516. They aren't getting invited for interviews at my school although many schools will jump at the chance to have them.

Do your best, do it once and apply accordingly. T20 are overrated.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Retaking a 518 to get to more "brand name" schools.

that's not how this works seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Can't really prove this next statement, but these are probably the same few people shopping either for advice or reaction.

Can't really prove this next statement, but these are probably the same few people shopping either for advice or reaction.
I hope so! This post was somewhat inspired by a recent thread I saw on here where a 4.0/517 applicant asked where they "went wrong" for T20s.

Some of the comments there seemed to imply/say that it was probably due to their MCAT score, but I found that hard to believe? I can see how a UPenn type school would pass, but it just seemed wild to me that a 517 MCAT would severely disadvantage you for any medical school if that makes any sense. Or maybe I'm overestimating how good the score is?

I hope so! This post was somewhat inspired by a recent thread I saw on here where a 4.0/517 applicant asked where they "went wrong" for T20s.

Some of the comments seem to imply/say that it was probably due to their MCAT score, but I found that hard to believe? I can see how a UPenn type school would pass, but it just seemed wild to me that a 517 MCAT would severely disadvantage you for any medical school.
It's hard to explain mission fit or holistic review because we want a specific formula or magic bullet to fix it. It is a human process so you have to navigate preferences and intentions running in the background. And they are different for every program.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Here's the bottom line: there are some schools that are clawing their way up the US News ratings because this gives them the validation they crave. A small portion of the US News score is the MCAT and so the word comes down to the admissions office "reconsider admitting anyone with an MCAT of < 99th percentile." (I wish I were kidding)

It is ridiculous and not getting us a better or brighter class than if we made the cut-off the 95th or even 90th percentile but it is all about climbing in the ratings and it stinks.

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Here's the bottom line: there are some schools that are clawing their way up the US News ratings because this gives them the validation they crave. A small portion of the US News score is the MCAT and so the word comes down to the admissions office "reconsider admitting anyone with an MCAT of < 99th percentile." (I wish I were kidding)

It is ridiculous and not getting us a better or brighter class than if we made the cut-off the 95th or even 90th percentile but it is all about climbing in the ratings and it stinks.
If possible and comfortable, can you please share the school names who crave for mcat scorers in the 99th percentile? Thank you

If possible and comfortable, can you please share the school names who crave for mcat scorers in the 99th percentile? Thank you
I believe this information can be found using MSAR, look for schools who have median MCATs over 522.

I have heard that NYU, UPenn and Johns Hopkins are like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost retook my 513 and I am glad I did not. I felt my application was pretty strong otherwise and re-taking the MCAT was a huge risk.

It ended up working out quite well for me (multiple As at T20 and T10s). I feel after a certain metric is met, it is more about your whole application painting a clear narrative than 5 extra point son your MCAT.

Reactions: 4 users