Why do some schools make you list your ECs again in secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

conebone69

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On some secondaries, it asks questions like ".In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage?" That's already on AMCAS. Are we just supposed to put the exact same stuff that we already put down? Seems a bit extraneous.

Members don't see this ad.

The admissions departments of many med schools are absolute organizational disasters. The important thing you need to figure out is, "Is the cluster**** in the admissions department indicative of what it's going to be like as a student at this school?" Sadly, it's usually hard to figure out the answer to that.

The admissions departments of many med schools are absolute organizational disasters. The important thing you need to figure out is, "Is the cluster**** in the admissions department indicative of what it's going to be like as a student at this school?" Sadly, it's usually hard to figure out the answer to that.

The answer is almost always NO. The competency of the admissions staff is in so way correlated to the quality of clinical education that school may provide.

Just list some EC's again. No big deal

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember that a couple of my secondaries wanted me to list my ECs and include whether the activity was daily, weekly, or sporadic. There was some use there since AMCAS just wants you to list start and end date.

Another secondary wanted me to choose a couple ECs that I wanted to talk about the most. This was useful at the time, but with the changes to AMCAS this year, not quite so much.

Some schools are just disorganized, or just want it all in one form. You've just gotta roll with it and c/p your stuff over.