Why do students feel like they bombed the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lavndrrose

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
but only to find out a couple months later that they did pretty well? Do most students come out of the MCAT exam feeling like they just bombed it? How did you feel?

Members don't see this ad.

I did well on the test, but walking out that day I thought I did terrible. I can't explain why I felt that way. Maybe it was because I checked my answers immediately after doing a practice test so I had no time to reflect, so it seemed strange to have to wait so long. I was more nervous than with practice tests so I just wasn't as confident with the answers I chose. When I went home after the test all I could think about were the questions I spent a lot of time on and that just made me feel worse. Also the tests are curved so if you get a really hard physical section to curve will be adjusted so you will do better than you think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Lavndrrose

Are you being sarcastic again or are you for reals?

Apparently I have a reputation for being sarcastic.:rolleyes:

I am totally serious here: I felt pretty good after the MCAT. Not like I totally kicked ass, but I knew I turned out a solid performance.

Let's just say I ended up doing some 10 points better than I thought I would. I said this somewhere on this board before, but I almost walked out during the lunch break.
I don't know why.... I also felt pretty guilty, since I didn't really prepare at all... Hmmm...

S.

Originally posted by Diogenes

Apparently I have a reputation for being sarcastic.:rolleyes:

nod.gif
nod.gif

;)

Originally posted by surge
I also felt pretty guilty, since I didn't really prepare at all... Hmmm...

I also developed a guilt complex after getting my scores, when I would talk to people who I knew studied like mad. Then I realized that there is no reason for me to feel guilty about doing well. I didn't do anything to hold my friends back -- nature did (or environment, or themselves, whatever).

After you guys take your exam next Saturday, walk out of there like you just won the lottery. Worrying and thinking about how you did won't change how you performed. Go out and enjoy yourself !

- Focus

Originally posted by surge
Let's just say I ended up doing some 10 points better than I thought I would. I said this somewhere on this board before, but I almost walked out during the lunch break.
I don't know why.... I also felt pretty guilty, since I didn't really prepare at all... Hmmm...

S.

10 points better?? :wow: Were you making lots of guesses?