Why do you taunt me, biology!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joannavr

Customer Disservice
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a major problem staying awake and focused while studying biology and I haven't figured out how to fix it. Yes, I am exhausted all the time thanks to full time work and school, but I am not having this problem in any other course. I fall asleep in the class and I fall asleep with the book. Even if I can keep my eyes open my mind wanders constantly and I end up playing solitaire, or deciding I need *another* shower in the the middle of the day, or cleaning the entire house while my biology sits unread.

I don't know what the problem is because I find biology extremely interesting. I enjoy learning about it, I have always been a science buff...but this book is wiping me out!

I need tips to help me focus and stay awake. Sleeping more is not an option, I don't have time for it, and it doesn't seem to help even when I do. I am getting very nervous as I have an exam coming up and I am behind on my reading but can not get myself to read it! I feel like an idiot, I spend more time berating myself about goofing off then actually reading. Lets be honest, I have my book sitting next to me right now and I am typing this instead of reading it.

Help!

*edit* if there are any Orson Scott Card fans out there, think of the influence the oversoul had on the inhabitants of Harmony when they thought of war. That's how I feel when I am trying to think about my biology...

Members don't see this ad.

it's not biology taunting you, it's your study environment. All the reasons listed that are distracting you are in your home.

Get in your car or walk to a location where you can read and practice problems in solitude.

I also suggest http://www.calnewport.com/books/ , I read both of his books and I had a straight A semester, and expect the trend to continue.

I would agree with the previous poster about changing your environment.

If that isn't possible (for whatever reasons) then break up studying. Read bio for 15 mins (or 10 if you already fall asleep) then do something else for 5 mins (other homework or whatever). If this works then try increasing it to 20 min and so on.

For class, try stretching right before class starts and drink water during class.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am having a major problem staying awake and focused while studying biology and I haven't figured out how to fix it. Yes, I am exhausted all the time thanks to full time work and school, but I am not having this problem in any other course. I fall asleep in the class and I fall asleep with the book. Even if I can keep my eyes open my mind wanders constantly and I end up playing solitaire, or deciding I need *another* shower in the the middle of the day, or cleaning the entire house while my biology sits unread.

I don't know what the problem is because I find biology extremely interesting. I enjoy learning about it, I have always been a science buff...but this book is wiping me out!

I need tips to help me focus and stay awake. Sleeping more is not an option, I don't have time for it, and it doesn't seem to help even when I do. I am getting very nervous as I have an exam coming up and I am behind on my reading but can not get myself to read it! I feel like an idiot, I spend more time berating myself about goofing off then actually reading. Lets be honest, I have my book sitting next to me right now and I am typing this instead of reading it.

Help!

*edit* if there are any Orson Scott Card fans out there, think of the influence the oversoul had on the inhabitants of Harmony when they thought of war. That's how I feel when I am trying to think about my biology...

mee too....lol. just gotta get through it. I would listen to MCAT audio Osmosis while driving and I could be wide awake...put in BIO and BANG....yawning almost instantly. I jus found it took a little longer to study.

I would actually get mad at myself cause it would take me longer to get through a BIO chapter than it should.

Wish I had better advice, but I fell your pain.

I agree with the other poster switch up your study environment and perhaps your study habits. For some classes your usual study method does not work, so don't feel bad trying something different. Set a goal for how much you want to read in a particular amount of time, (start off small like a couple pages or one two chapter topics.) then once you've reached this goal try studying a different way( maybe write out notes for what you've just read, or get MCAT/Biology flash cards to quiz yourself over what you've just studied and what you've previously done) This will keep you focused on studying and all the while move you along in your reading.

Also you might need to switch up the time of day you study. Maybe get something done when you first wake up. Then get a little more done at another point in the day where you are feeling alert. By splitting it up you will still get the reading done, but you won't feel like you have to stay focused on the topic for hours on end.

As for class well there are a lot of variables to this. I find taking notes helps to stay awake but in some classes even this doesn't help. I once had an ECON class that I couldn't stay awake in to save my life. I even fell out of my chair one day while trying. Luckily I was doing well in the class so falling asleep was not a problem but going to class was a chore.

If you really love learning this stuff and find it interesting, hen find ways to make the process fun and interesting for you. Give yourself treats for getting through the chapters, get others to quiz you, etc, etc. Do whatever you have to in order to get through it, and hoepfully eventually it will become easier. If not, well just look at it this way, you only have to get through the next two months in this class and then the semester will be over.

Biology is dull reading, no doubt about it. Strange for such a fascinating topic.

I find that using the chapter structure works well. Read the headings first. When you get to the study questions, try to answer them. You probably won't be able to. Actually type out some answers. Then read the text and answer the questions in more detail. This makes the process more interactive.

Also, set a timer for your attention span - e.g. 15 minutes. And then take a 1-2 minute break. For less boring work, I usually do 50 minutes on, 10 minutes off each hour and clean the house in between. Timers are a really useful tool.

I feel the same way about organic chemistry.

To get myself to pay attention, I make myself interact with the book. By that, I mean that I manually write (I don't let myself type because I usually don't end up comprehending what I type) the things that I would normally highlight in a book. I also did that for biology and it helped me a lot. Even if you aren't paying attention 100%, you're still pulling out important facts which you can later memorize.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I had an exam this morning and to be honest I bombed it so hard I was amazed the paper didn't catch on fire.

Wake up call. I have never failed a test before, and now I am freaked out. Boring or not I'll be breathing biology for the next two months to make up for it....