Why does LECOM get so much hate on SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You got into Mayo residency 5 years after graduating LECOM-B? Most medical students want to get into a residency right after graduating medical school...

I'm not here to judge your situation.

I believe he did military after med school if I can remember right

Members don't see this ad.

Detour called active duty military.

Thank you for your service sir

fa_32_reagan970.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
How was it?

I love the people of the military...so despite the bull**** inherent to the military...I haven't regretted it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I love the people of the military...so desperate despite the bull**** inherent to the military...I haven't regretted it.

Cool. Is your Mayo decision based on a desire to sub-specialize? Or did you somehow not do a residency before entering active duty? I do realize mil residencies can count as active duty themselves, but going from residency to another residency seems like it'd be a strange choice.

Cool. Is your Mayo decision based on a desire to sub-specialize? Or did you somehow not do a residency before entering active duty? I do realize mil residencies can count as active duty themselves, but going from residency to another residency seems like it'd be a strange choice.

The Navy didn't have a need for my desired specialty...so I have paid back my time and now I'm moving on.

Military residency against popular belief is often more competitive than civilian...especially for non-primary care specialties. Or they may not offer your specialty at all.

The only students I met who disliked LECOM were students that disliked the whole practice of osteopathic medicine. Other than that I cant speak to clinical experiences yet but they seemed fine to my untrained eye, tuition was great so idk? All I know is they have to be doing something right in order to become the largest med school in the country.

The only students I met who disliked LECOM were students that disliked the whole practice of osteopathic medicine. Other than that I cant speak to clinical experiences yet but they seemed fine to my untrained eye, tuition was great so idk? All I know is they have to be doing something right in order to become the largest med school in the country.

Also take into account that some people are innately whiny. There were some of those types when I went through LECOM-B. They tended to be well-off privileged children who felt entitled. "This is my medical education...and I'm going to stomp my feet if I don't get my way!" They are the same folks who will struggle significantly in residency when the autonomy is significantly greater. Hopefully LECOM-B served as the parenting that they never received...it's their only chance. Please realize that this is a small percentage of grads. The majority know that there is high security...so they bring their ID badge. They know that they can only eat and drink in the cafeteria (which is literally a few steps away)...so they eat and drink in the cafeteria. They realize that the clinical dean is going to rip into them if they haven't done their due diligence before asking a stupid question...so they spend the 5 minutes to research the question in the student handbook themselves...usually not needing to ask the question thereafter.

The folks signing on to SDN to blast LECOM-B either haven't attended...or are LECOM-B students who were stupid enough to sign up for something that was CLEARLY a poor fit from the beginning.

Reactions: 5 users
You got into Mayo residency 5 years after graduating LECOM-B? Most medical students want to get into a residency right after graduating medical school...

I'm not here to judge your situation.

He probably did a GMO stint for some time... I haven't the foggiest how that works in the military though!

The folks signing on to SDN to blast LECOM-B either haven't attended...or are LECOM-B students who were stupid enough to sign up for something that was CLEARLY a poor fit from the beginning.
Yes, this baffles me. There are threads about the "complaints" of LECOM dating back to 2000 and, yet, every year, a thread of disgruntled students pops up.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with everything said in the last few comments as a current LECOM-B student. Its almost always people that never attended (I don't know why they even spend their time talking about another school in the first place) or a few disgruntled students (which exist at every single school... Even top MD schools). My favorite is when someone posts something negative and you look at their profile and they made their account that same day and have one post lol. People are more likely to spend their time speaking up about negatives than positives. I am on SDN because I genuinely care about giving advice to pre-meds and I was here for a while before even choosing LECOM. I think I can speak for the majority of my class that we are happy with the school for the most part. There are things we can't stand like the administration and rotations issues, but there are enough positives about the school that keep us happy with our decision to attend. Most of my classmates just don't post on here to talk about their positive experiences.

Reactions: 5 users
I am attending LECOM-B next fall, and was wondering why people its so bad. From what I gathered it is an awesome school. Great board scores (1st or 2nd in the nation), great pass rates, excellent location and very cheap (cheapest among all except TCOM)!

Are the strict rules are what annoys people? I mean we are entering the medical profession, isnt it good to start dressing professionally, and following rules now, it can only prepare us for the future. I guess the no water rule can be annoying, but I wouldnt say its a con. The building is spotless.

The only thing I had an issue with was rotations, but they are revamping the 3rd year, where more spots will be availble for year long, and the flexibility is great..

PBL also seems like an excellent way to learn, your not forced to sit in lecture for long hours, you can control your own schedule, and be at a beautiful location as well. I interviewed a lot of places and felt some places had the best facilities, but at the end of the day are facilities gonna get us the residency? Isnt it good board scores. But I totally understand people who feel different, and understand their hate for LECOM, but I honestly think its one of the better DO schools in the country, considering all things!

The main thing that people do not like about LECOM B is the PBL curriculum, it puts people from non science backgrounds at a major disadvantage, also strict rules like dress codes. Unless you did an SMP before you attended PBL will be very tough for someone without a strong science background.

The main upside of LECOM B is its cost, its one of the cheapest DO schools, and also its in a warm part of the country in a city with a low cost of living. LECOM Erie gives its students the option of taking a traditional curriculum.

"Our Dean of Clinical Education told us it would be easier on him if we died of the flu, because it would be less for him to set up; he also told us that if a decision comes down to being easier for him vs better for us, that he would win every time."

I spit out my drink.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Our Dean of Clinical Education told us it would be easier on him if we died of the flu, because it would be less for him to set up; he also told us that if a decision comes down to being easier for him vs better for us, that he would win every time."

I spit out my drink.

I know Anthony Ferretti quite well. He is an Army Orthopedic surgeon. Trust me...he's not a lazy guy. He is an intimidating guy...no question. But if you at least do your part and don't come in like an entitled prick, he will go out of his way to help you. He actually was a very good asset to both my wife and me. He just hates lazy, entitled students...and every medical schools has quite a few of them.

I spit out my drink.

In laughter or shock?

Seems like kind of a half-joke.

The main thing that people do not like about LECOM B is the PBL curriculum, it puts people from non science backgrounds at a major disadvantage, also strict rules like dress codes. Unless you did an SMP before you attended PBL will be very tough for someone without a strong science background.

You say this a lot, and as a PBL student (at a different campus), I don't find this to be true at all. Quite a few students in the top of my class came from non-science backgrounds, and are doing incredibly well. I'm not going to lie and tell you none of us ever have complaints about our school, but honestly, the PBL curriculum is very rarely one of them.

Thanks guys for all the responses. Its crazy how many people hate LECOM, Ill be attending LECOM-B for sure, and I think I made the right choice!

Thanks guys for all the responses. Its crazy how many people hate LECOM, Ill be attending LECOM-B for sure, and I think I made the right choice!

Hopefully that means more spots for the underdogs. ;)

Stats for acceptance if you don't mind me asking?

You're making a mistake.

If these negative comments just came from disgruntled students then why does LECOM have them ALL THE TIME? Very few medical schools ever have them even once. Most schools don't have anything negative about them on SDN. If medical students are inherent whiners...where's all the hate for those places??

Also, OF COURSE students who go there now are going to be MORE likely to come on and say POSITIVE things. No one likes to admit that they made a mistake or chose poorly. Everyone can rationalize where they end up. We see this all the time with people in small, community residency programs that will argue their places are awesome but they can't hold a candle to a big academic center. The truth is, if you go to LECOM-B, then you don't even know what you're missing out on. You have no idea of what other schools offer.

I have intimate knowledge of multiple different schools due to certain positions I have held. I can't say much more than that but the reason I came on here to say these things is concern for the DO profession as a whole and the sub-standard quality of many of our medical schools. I am NOT a disgruntled LECOM student and you can check all of my posts to verify that.

You're making a mistake.

If these negative comments just came from disgruntled students then why does LECOM have them ALL THE TIME? Very few medical schools ever have them even once. Most schools don't have anything negative about them on SDN. If medical students are inherent whiners...where's all the hate for those places??

Also, OF COURSE students who go there now are going to be MORE likely to come on and say POSITIVE things. No one likes to admit that they made a mistake or chose poorly. Everyone can rationalize where they end up. We see this all the time with people in small, community residency programs that will argue their places are awesome but they can't hold a candle to a big academic center. The truth is, if you go to LECOM-B, then you don't even know what you're missing out on. You have no idea of what other schools offer.

I have intimate knowledge of multiple different schools due to certain positions I have held. I can't say much more than that but the reason I came on here to say these things is concern for the DO profession as a whole and the sub-standard quality of many of our medical schools. I am NOT a disgruntled LECOM student and you can check all of my posts to verify that.

I went to LECOM-B and don't regret my decision. LECOM-B isn't for everyone...heck, it may not even be for most people...but the guy did his due diligence and still thinks it's for him.

You're making a mistake.

I just feel like most people that dont like it never went there, and just dont follow rules, i actually dnt mind going north for rotations as i am from new york, also it is a good school with good board scores, and so cheap!! I dont want to spend 30k extra per year plus interest on another school just for state of the art facilities!

Reactions: 1 users