Why does NYU ask that question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PerpetualBurn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They ask if any physical or emotional problems affected academic performance. I have read about NYU undergrad forcing depressed students to leave for a semester or two, and some have argued that they try to minimize their own liability this way. I am afraid to answer this question out of fear that I will be deemed physically or emotionally unstable (and thus not granted an interview) Is this a rational concern?

Members don't see this ad.

PerpetualBurn said:
They ask if any physical or emotional problems affected academic performance. I have read about NYU undergrad forcing depressed students to leave for a semester or two, and some have argued that they try to minimize their own liability this way. I am afraid to answer this question out of fear that I will be deemed physically or emotionally unstable (and thus not granted an interview) Is this a rational concern?

They might ask this to give you the opportunity to explain poor academic performance. With regards to their undergraduate policy, I think it makes sense. Yes, it does reduce their liability, but I'm sure it's to the benefit of the student for them to take a semester or two off. Academic rigor is a major cause for emotional problems in undergrad. Having students take a semester off is a lot more than a lot of schools do, as some might not even care to recognize the problem in the first place.

If it is physical...I would definitely explain the issue. But if it is emotional then I would be much more conservative in terms of what I disclose. Reason being is b/c you will have access to a learning resources center once you matriculate. During orientation you can address your possible concerns (without having to worry about getting kicked out...technically)

Members don't see this ad :)
PerpetualBurn said:

I can understand where you're coming from. I would say you need to weigh the potential risk of disclosing emotional problems with the need to reconcile a transient slip in your GPA. The bigger the drop was in your grades, the more you need to place that into its proper context. You can also include a statement explaining what you've learned from the experience, that perhaps you've since learned how to compartmentalize your thoughts so as to not be academically distracted by an unrelated emotional problem.

Edit: For example, the only real dip in my GPA in my four years was during my junior year, and it really wasn't bad at all, just lower than I was earning in my other semesters/years. Yes, my grandmother passed away and my family had been taking it pretty hard, and I suppose I could've disclosed that to NYU as a reason for the slip, but frankly, I was just more lazy than usual that year. In this instance, I'd rather just look like I wasn't a straight A student for a year than to potentially come off as emotionally affected. If my grades had suffered more, then I may reconsider that.

I chose to mention this. My Overall and BCPM dropped by over a point during sophomore year. I like how AMCAS shows this by year, credit hours, types of classes, etc. If you look closely (and hopefully an ADCOM will) is that the year after my troubles I took 30+ science credits and had a 3.9+ GPA. Hopefully it'll count for something. But when I bring up my troubles, I focus much less on the positives and more on the positives.

Just my prospective on the question at hand.

Thanks, the input has been very helpful. I was wonderingif it's okay to write nothing. Have any of you done that?

PerpetualBurn said:
Thanks, the input has been very helpful. I was wonderingif it's okay to write nothing. Have any of you done that?

I left it blank and clicked "submit."