Why does the CARS section percentile 'stretch' the lowest for applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I notice on the MSAR that for a lot of schools the range of scores for CARS is wider in the lower direction compared to the other sections, which are about even

for instance, say the median chem/phys is a 127, then the 25-75 percentile might be 125-129. pretty even both ways

but for CARS it might be something like 123-128, skewed in the lower direction

I also notice the opposite seems to be true for biological, where the scores seem skewed up

is there a reason for this?

Members don't see this ad.

It was the same with the old Verbal. It's just less important, you're more likely to have a weaker Verbal/CARS overlooked than a weaker bio section.

This is somewhat justified from studies about predictive power of the subsections. BS and PS were both much better predictors than Verbal was.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
unless you're Canadian, where they basically only care about CARS

unless you're Canadian, where they basically only care about CARS
Which interestingly again is backed up by studies. Verbal correlated best with the Canadian clinical exams. Guess they test for very different things there.

Reactions: 1 users
CARS is stupid and should be removed from that test. I shouldn't have questions on a test about the titanic where my mind wonders if Jack could have fit on the door instead of focusing on what is actually being asked

Reactions: 2 users
Which interestingly again is backed up by studies. Verbal correlated best with the Canadian clinical exams. Guess they test for very different things there.
I'd be interested to know which exams correlate better with clinical performance.

I'd be interested to know which exams correlate better with clinical performance.

Going to guess Step 2.