"Why doing a PhD is often a waste of time"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just posting for discussion. I haven't yet formed an opinion on it.

page0000001_1.jpg

http://www.economist.com/node/17723223?story_id=17723223

The Economist
The disposable academic
Why doing a PhD is often a waste of time

Members don't see this ad.

I remember reading this article and I agree with that one dean from Kentucky. Too many PhDs are being produced. Back 30 years ago PhDs were rarer, but nowadays there are so many PhDs.

Yet while the # of PhDs increased, the # of professorships have not matched its increase so the competition for faculty positions is fierce and those that do not make it become professional postdocs for the rest of their lives.

Also I think some people do not know what to do with their lives after undergrad so they just get a PhD. I've spoken to many PhDs where I asked them "why did you want to do a PhD?" 90% of the time it was "uh well I didn't know what to do with my life," or "well I couldn't find a job so I figured I'd do this."

These people go on to become consultants. Or so they think, because that's super competitive as well, and now we're back to even more pro post-docs. So that's another reason IMO... people see it as a "default" without giving it much thought. In that sense yea it's a waste of time, but only if you don't know why you're doing a PhD. But what do I know haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, PhD does not equal MD/PhD.

No, but I'm hoping the PhD is more valuable in my career than it seems to be to residency programs. Funny how people with far less research and far less research enthusiasm/intent are getting the interviews at all the top research places thanks to higher board scores and AOA while I sit here biting my fingernails. See this thread for more info:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=776060

No, but I'm hoping the PhD is more valuable in my career than it seems to be to residency programs. Funny how people with far less research and far less research enthusiasm/intent are getting the interviews at all the top research places thanks to higher board scores and AOA while I sit here biting my fingernails. See this thread for more info:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=776060

Do you think your dilemma is more radiology specific compared to other specialties?

Good article. In chemistry at least, you are basically making yourself less employable by going on for an MS after your PhD. I'm still glad I got the PhD anyway though. I guess I'm in the "values the PhD for its own sake" camp. :)

Neuro, I didn't forget about you. I'm sorry it's taking me so long to get back to you--been working on a manuscript draft. :oops:

Do you think your dilemma is more radiology specific compared to other specialties?

No, I don't. See that thread for an excellent analysis (post #13). I feel like candidate #2 competing with a lot of candidate #3s. If I applied in a specialty where the stats weren't as high on average, the PhD would stand out more. But even in those specialties, I have plenty of buddies not getting the interviews they wanted at competitive programs.

I don't think this is because some specialties weight the PhD more than others. I think it comes back to the fact that PhD level research is only weighted so much in the application process, especially if you're competing with a lot of people who took a year out for research specifically in the field they're applying in. So sure, if you apply in a specialty that's not competitive in general, you will probably get what you want. Your stats might be more on par with the other applicants, and they may not have research experience. But, if you apply in a specialty that is competitive, you need to have the stats your competition has or close to it because they often have some research themselves. In this case, a PhD doesn't mean that much. AOA probably means as much or more.

Neuronix, you say that you see applicants with much less research but with higher scores get better interviews then you. Are you seeing that you are getting much better interview invites than applicants with the same scores as you but much less research experience?

It seems to me that this would be a better group to compare yourself with.

I'm just posting for discussion. I haven't yet formed an opinion on it.

page0000001_1.jpg

http://www.economist.com/node/17723223?story_id=17723223

The Economist
The disposable academic
Why doing a PhD is often a waste of time

The beauty of the economist is they approach issues from a utility perspective. With that said this particular correspondent carries her own biases, which are apparent.

Another great side of the economist is that sometimes the comments are more insightful than the article itself. Click most recommended and you have some great opinions expressed by supervisors, department heads, phd students, etc.

Having read all that, I believe a good summation seems to be that the system is flawed. With that said, if you intentions are to pursue a PhD for personal reasons, e.g. pursuit of knowledge, and not for a guaranteed career, then it may still hold merit. Pursuing a PhD for a guaranteed career, e.g. a tenure-track position at a university of your choosing, isn't a reality.

I've heavily debated pursuing a PhD. I'm currently applying to an MD program, but where success is hardly assured I always look at my options. A PhD is so alluring in terms of independent thinking, research, teaching, etc., but then the reality of losing 5 years of your life to 3 letters which probably don't professionally help you in and of itself (where's your post doc going to be?) is very daunting. I'd like the knowledge and the chance to learn in that environment, but the reality of long days in labs doing monotonous tasks and a potentially malignant supervisor (when they inevitably find out about medicine) is a lot to risk with a mortgage and car payment (which a PhD couldn't fund!)

well, i don't think the article really applies to MD-PhDs because there is a very clear advantage for us in doing the PhD: at the very bare minimum you've managed to save 250k in med school tuition, which is for most people is a substantial amount of $$$ (and paying off those loans as a 30-something on a resident salary is surely not a lot of fun). and though the PhD may not give you a clear-cut advantage when applying for competitive residencies, it should give you an advantage when applying for research track or fast track residencies, no? also, the supply of dual degree holders is rather limited (re: supply and demand). at the end of the day, doesn't it really come down to marketing yourself properly? or rather: isn't the assumption that if you've entered an MD-PhD program your end goal is to work in an academic setting of some sort at a research institution and not in private practice?

it should give you an advantage when applying for research track or fast track residencies, no?

I applied for almost all of the research track residency programs in my specialty choice. Over half rejected me without an interview. I am middle of my medical school class (with no red flags) and have slightly above last year's average step 1 for the specialty. My PhD/research experience is extremely strong and directly related to my specialty of interest.

What I find particularly amusing is interviewing at the non-research track programs (>75% of my interviews). They often ask me why I'm there. Shouldn't I be at X institution which is extremely strong in my particular area of research? Or how about Y place who has A B and C big names who I've collaborated with or know pretty well? What about my home institution where I obviously have outstanding letters and have been extremely productive? Well, X, Y, and my top-tier home school already rejected me. So I'm in the awkward position of explaining that I have to choose the strongest research-oriented program among the programs that decided to invite me. Of the 5 places I'd say are strongest in my area of research, none invited me. Maybe 1 depending on exactly how you load that list. So while I may be interviewing at not the strongest research places in the country, they're what I've got. So I am in the awkward position of begging the programs that invited me to rank me highly regardless of me being a research-oriented guy, and their institution not being all that strong for the research that I do. Because not matching seems like it would really suck. At least I can be a physician someday if I match.

That brings up another point, hiding your enthusiasm for research at these places. Like you have to like research, but not profess any sort of love for a majority-research career or the research track residencies that I really want. That's a topic for some other day I guess.

texan2009 said:
Are you seeing that you are getting much better interview invites than applicants with the same scores as you but much less research experience?

It seems to me that this would be a better group to compare yourself with.

I am and this is true to some extent. I think someone with the same medical school performance and step 1/step 2 scores would match as well, but probably at a more community oriented program as opposed to lower-mid tier academic, where I am mostly interviewing. It's just been a shock to me to see how much step 1 and AOA status really matter, even at research-oriented institutions. When I started my program I was always told "you're MD/PhD, it doesn't matter how you do on Step 1" -- "Just pass, you'll pick up the clinical stuff. You're MD/PhD, you'll get whatever residency you want." This was ridiculous, and I want to dispel it for anyone else hearing it.

Another thing I'm finding is that I'm mostly getting interviews in the midwest, for the simple reason that it is less competitive. I am not from the midwest and have no ties to the midwest. I received one whole interview in my entire home region. The four programs I was most interested in because they are strong programs in the area of the country where I have strong reasons for wanting to live all rejected me without an interview. This included my away rotation where I had previously performed significant research and received an outstanding letter of recommendation as well as an extremely positive review from the PD. Why? Step 1 and AOA cutoffs. So keep that in mind as well. You may match as an MD/PhD, but if you have a regional preference, you may have a hard time getting it. Unless your preference is midwest. That's not as bad.

I do have something of a control. I can't go into too much detail except to say there's someone very similar to me applying with a much weaker PhD in the same specialty. His step 1 score is sky high and he is AOA. He is getting every top-tier and mid-tier academic interview, research-oriented interviews, and even interviews from places that are very weak in research, in addition to interviews most places he applied. So he has to turn a lot of them down. They see those stats and check the invite button.

My advice for matching in a competitive specialty: do extremely well in medical school and crush step 1 and step 2. Get out of your PhD as quickly as possible with one publication and don't stress about loading your CV.

Back to the topic of the thread, was my PhD a waste of time? For me, the answer is no for several personal reasons. But I don't think it's helping me much get the residency I want. I think I could have done just as well with a year out of medical school for research. This is doubly true if I had focused more on medical school. Instead of taking hard grad classes on top of my first two years of med school, I could have made junior AOA. But I think I bought into beliefs both that I should "pace myself", and be more focused on research. I never thought I'd have to worry that much about the grades I would receive in clerkships or after being out of medical school for over four years... What a mistake that was. I did well in medical school regardless, and I'm probably going to match reasonably well, even if there's a good chance it's in the midwest. But, I post all this so that the impressionable pre-MD/PhDs and junior students will realize that if they someday want a competitive residency in some area of the country they want to raise their family in when they're over 30, they need to really work hard. Because I'm seeing my classmates apply in specialties they didn't want to apply in. Or matching into "backups". Or not matching at all (5 MSTPs in the last 2 match cycles). Or matching far away from their spouses. And it's sad. And it all comes back to the fact that we're not as competitive as we thought we were.

Since this turned into an emotional rant, I will again reference the true objective post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10322423&postcount=13.

Last edited:
Not all schools have AOA... how can they even use this as a measure of anything...? Are the people from Stanford just out of luck?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to re-iterate that I have had the opposite experience from Neuronix. I am also what would be considered a "below average" candidate for my chosen specialty (ENT). I was not AOA, was not in the top 25% of my class, and did not honor surgery. I did have excellent LORs, one from a very big name in the field, and my research CV is very strong (several 1st author basic science pubs, a few ENT case reports, a few co-authorships in journals like Science and Nature).

For me, the standout in my app (at least as I have been told) has been my LORs and my research background. According to several PDs, having the PhD, and having been productive during that time (pubs, F30 grant) is a strong indicator of dedication, maturity, and character. They seem to care less about what my research was about. They have stated that they are looking to train academicians that will continue to shape ENT research and who will train the next generation, and having the PhD experience is a strong indicator of following that path.

My overall impression is that they see so many applications with 250, AOA, all H but without a lot of depth to set one apart from another. In that case my application has been unique and well rounded, in that I also have some unique ECs.

I also have a few "controls" and I can say undoubtedly that my numbers have been weaker than several people I know without interviews at the best places I have interviews. Of course this is all academic until 3/17.

I just wanted to re-iterate that I have had the opposite experience from Neuronix. I am also what would be considered a "below average" candidate for my chosen specialty (ENT). I was not AOA, was not in the top 25% of my class, and did not honor surgery. I did have excellent LORs, one from a very big name in the field, and my research CV is very strong (several 1st author basic science pubs, a few ENT case reports, a few co-authorships in journals like Science and Nature).

Remember that there are only about 5-6 graduates at most from MD/PhD programs entering ENT per year. There are more 7-year ENT research residency track positions than that, so you're a very attractive commodity, especially for those positions, but probably also for non-research track positions as well.

I didn't even apply for the 7 year tracks. The way I looked at it was that would be a wasted 2yrs for me and wasted $ by the program. The 7 year track, IMO, is ideally suited for a candidate who very much wants to pursue an academic path but who has not had the experience and training of writing papers/grants etc. The PhD more than adequately prepares a graduating resident to enter academic otolaryngology.

That being said, the 7 year path often facilitates a K award. But after 8 years in medical school, I just couldn't see 8 more years of residency (or 9, don't forget fellowships!).

Either way, I've been asked by a few interviewers why I had not applied, and when I gave the above answer, they seemed satisfied (one told me "good, you would have been crazy to spend 2 more years.")

It's just been a shock to me to see how much step 1 and AOA status really matter, even at research-oriented institutions.

Not that they are unrelated, but would AOA or step I be more helpful to you in your residency applications? Would you rather have AOA with average step scores or high step scores but no AOA?

For me, the standout in my app (at least as I have been told) has been my LORs and my research background. According to several PDs, having the PhD, and having been productive during that time (pubs, F30 grant) is a strong indicator of dedication, maturity, and character. They seem to care less about what my research was about. They have stated that they are looking to train academicians that will continue to shape ENT research and who will train the next generation, and having the PhD experience is a strong indicator of following that path.

My overall impression is that they see so many applications with 250, AOA, all H but without a lot of depth to set one apart from another. In that case my application has been unique and well rounded, in that I also have some unique ECs.

I also have a few "controls" and I can say undoubtedly that my numbers have been weaker than several people I know without interviews at the best places I have interviews. Of course this is all academic until 3/17.

This just illustrates how specialty-specific the advantage of a PhD is. ENT is one of the surgical subspecialties that is clearly actively looking to attract more MD/PhDs. Radiology and Opthalmology these days are specialties that just want the numbers. These are the two specialties I've personally seen quality MD/PhDs struggle to match in...when you narrowly focus your research early on you really put yourself in danger if you are banking on it giving you that extra push to get into these uber-competitive specialties. On the other hand I've watched guys do mediocre molecular work for their PhD, smoke the steps, make a few high profile friends in Radiology during M3/M4 and waltz into the program of their choice. Is it far...probably not, but that is just the preference of those particular specialties

Not that they are unrelated, but would AOA or step I be more helpful to you in your residency applications? Would you rather have AOA with average step scores or high step scores but no AOA?

Both. They're both important.

But let me clarify if you're talking about "average" step 1 and grades, you're talking about average for that specialty. So if you're talking derm for example, an average step 1 score would be about a 240. That 240 plus AOA is decent. Also decent would be a 260 step 1 with half of your clinical grades in med school honors instead of most. A national average step 1 score of 220 is going to be very difficult to overcome. As would be a transcript that is all HP or B grades with minimal honors.

If I had to choose between, say 20 points on step 1, or AOA, I would choose 20 points on step 1. The difference between 230 and 250 for getting interviews is huge. AOA will help but it's not the same.

Let me just take this opportunity though to point out something about your research when applying to residencies. There are very few situations where the quality of your research is going to be evaluated in depth. You are going to be lumped in groups like so:

excellent: multiple publications, PhD level experience
great: multiple publications, masters or other extensive experience
good: one or more publications on small projects while in med school
limited: short term experience on a project, maybe a single poster/presentation
none: self explanatory

Most residency interviewers are clinicians with little concern about whether your paper was in a journal with impact factor 10 or 1. Which makes it all the more important to get a few publications and finish your PhD, at least in terms of residency placement.

Let me just take this opportunity though to point out something about your research when applying to residencies. There are very few situations where the quality of your research is going to be evaluated in depth. You are going to be lumped in groups like so:

excellent: multiple publications, PhD level experience
great: multiple publications, masters or other extensive experience
good: one or more publications on small projects while in med school
limited: short term experience on a project, maybe a single poster/presentation
none: self explanatory

I will piggyback onto Shifty's as always right on target advice to say that the difference between "great" and "excellent" here is the difference between a MD who took a year out for research with a few publications (may be clinically based) and a PhD. You spend several years more on the PhD, but there is not much advantage for competitiveness. Good is equivalent to someone who published in their 4th year, which can often be done in less than a few months.

Also, a MD with several publications within the field to which they're applying will often be viewed the same if not better than a MD/PhD with publications not directly relevant to the field. This is program dependent, but is common.

Personally, I do not think that my MD/PhD is a waste of time. Although I am not aiming for a top residency at this time, my chosen field has a dearth of researchers and some very quirky residency programs catering to students with my specialty. In addition, I am planning to teach in an emerging field of research that blends my non-biology PhD with medicine, so it seems as if someone with a graduate degree in both areas would be exceptionally well-suited for a faculty position. I also enjoy impacting my field and using my research skills to help people in need. If I were a straight medical student, I would not have time to pursue as much research, teaching positions, and volunteer work as I can as someone who doesn't have to worry about getting into a high-paying field to pay off my debt or compete for faculty positions with only an MD.

Although I am not aiming for a top residency at this time, my chosen field has a dearth of researchers and some very quirky residency programs catering to students with my specialty. In addition, I am planning to teach in an emerging field of research that blends my non-biology PhD with medicine, so it seems as if someone with a graduate degree in both areas would be exceptionally well-suited for a faculty position. I also enjoy impacting my field and using my research skills to help people in need.

I felt the exact same way. I still feel the same way. But, program directors tend to be MDs who don't do much research and are looking for the most talented clinicians that have the least potential of giving the program any difficulty in training.

Most residency interviewers are clinicians with little concern about whether your paper was in a journal with impact factor 10 or 1. Which makes it all the more important to get a few publications and finish your PhD, at least in terms of residency placement.

Again, I have to add exceptions to the above. It depends on the residency. If you are applying to a PSTP, all the interviews that count with be with researchers and the chairman. Also, if you are being recruited as research/faculty-track person, this will not be true. It certainly wasn't for me. Sure I interviewed with MD onlys, but a bulk of my interviews were from the directors (mostly MD/PhDs), the Chairman (MD/PhD), and several research-only faculty members.
These research tracks can be found in medicine, pathology, pediatrics, and derm in most large academic institutions. I can tell you from personal experience, that even though the program director has the final say as to the rank list, all it takes is one phone call from the chariman saying "offer this guy a spot" and that person will get a rank-to-match spot.

Again, I have to add exceptions to the above.

I think you're probably right that my comments are more likely to apply to extremely competitive residencies such as radiation oncology, derm, ENT, ophthalmology, radiology, etc. Medicine, path, and peds residencies, particularly with specific research tracks, may give your research more scrutiny.

I think you're probably right that my comments are more likely to apply to extremely competitive residencies such as radiation oncology, derm, ENT, ophthalmology, radiology, etc. Medicine, path, and peds residencies, particularly with specific research tracks, may give your research more scrutiny.

I would also add from experience that Rad Onc is kind of a wildcard. Programs are SO small (most have only 1-4 residents per year) that I don't think there is any "formula" that will work for it. I've seen spots locked up for people at top places based on research experience with directors/chairmen. Word of mouth is also extremely important- so that if you have a friend in the department and he tells the chairman that you would be a good resident you may be in just based on that. I can't speak for any of the other speciaties above (and I'm sure you are 100% correct about them), but I don't think Rad Onc applies. Think about it from the program director's persoective. The program has to pick just one person and may intervew as few as 10 people for it. Yeah, they'll all be competitive... in some way. But the program director is not going to just plug in numbers to an equation to find the one guy who will be their buddy for the next 4 years. They'll pick the person that A:they have to pick because the chairman likes them B: everyone liked the most from the interview C: was the most fun that night out on the town. If you are at a research-heavy institution (like mine), then B: is likely to be the guy with the most impressive publication record who isn't a douche.

/I think you underestimate the importance of not being a douche in the interview process, by the way :)

Haha! Probably right.

Although I think only a small fraction of people are so bad that it shows in a 1 day interview.

That's why you get the residents' opinions about the applicants from the social time. If just one says "yeah, I had lunch with candidate X, and he kept talking about how the South should cecede from the Union" or "they texted during the entire meal and did not interact with us" or "they had a creepy stare" or even "he was rude".... they probably won't get on the match list.
But yeah, sometimes you don't know until it's too late, and you gotta deal with them for the next 4 years.

I felt the exact same way. I still feel the same way. But, program directors tend to be MDs who don't do much research and are looking for the most talented clinicians that have the least potential of giving the program any difficulty in training.

I've found a few that are basically post-docs (research the majority of the time--some 75% or more) at small schools in the South/military :) I'm still debating whether or not I even want to do a medical residency or just do post-doc/assistant professor...

guys, this thread is seriously depressing... i mean, isn't it really hard to get AOA? i'm still in my PhD, but it seems like it would be very difficult to compete with all the other med students who have at least 6 months of wards experience on you. i'm thinking more along the lines of neuro or psych and i have a strong step1 score, but having to earn AOA on top of everything else seems overwhelming.

guys, this thread is seriously depressing... i mean, isn't it really hard to get AOA? i'm still in my PhD, but it seems like it would be very difficult to compete with all the other med students who have at least 6 months of wards experience on you. i'm thinking more along the lines of neuro or psych and i have a strong step1 score, but having to earn AOA on top of everything else seems overwhelming.

If you look at Charting Outcomes of the Match, you will see that even in the competitive specialties the minority of matched candidates were AOA, so don't worry about it (the exception is derm which I think approaches 50%). I think for ENT 2/3 of matched candidates were not AOA.

You do NOT have to be AOA to match into a competitive specialty, provided you are a well rounded, likable candidate who has performed well in medical school and on your boards. Add your extensive research, and you should be in terrific shape. Again, for the sake of karma, all of my words are observational until 3/17.

Neuro and psych are both not that competitive. You don't need to worry.

A Ph.D. in the biomedical sciences is fine. The killer for me is the ever expanding that one spends as a post-doc.

Re Katz article, scientists are not the only ones with sucky career outcomes: 40% of law school graduates last year were unable to find employment in any field that utilized their training; nearly 1,100 2013 MD graduates did not match last week. Engineering and the computer science industry are even more exposed to globalization, and will eventually experience the price pressures that have beat down manufacturing jobs over the past 30 years. Even the financial services industry is not what it used to be. Maybe one should consider farming; I understand farm income is at record levels. (But beware: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/19/b...d-farmers-vie-for-land.html?ref=business&_r=0)

Last edited:
Maebea, I think your post lumping medical school graduate career instability and science PhD career instability is a bit of hyperbole. It's a matter of degree. MDs have had no problems getting residency until this year. I suspect this problem will be fixed in the near future. There has been a glut of PhDs for well over a decade now. The Katz article is from 1999, and seriously nothing about the job market for science PhDs seem to have changed at all.

Engineering and comp sci have no new pressures towards globalization that they haven't had for the past 15+ years.

I agree that law is completely screwed up. Law and science have similarly poor job prospects. That comes as a surprise to nobody in our field. Though Katz is correct in that there are often national campaigns towards creating more scientists. There are many training grants, and too many graduate students. Everyone knows that there are too many lawyers. Nobody in society is asking for more lawyers. But every time I turn around there is a push for more women in science. For what? There are no jobs in science.

MD/PhDs have been relying on their medical degree when the poor job prospects within science don't work out. My worry is that if the MD residency crunch continues to worsen, MD/PhDs will lose their clinical fallback. MD/PhDs who are not as competitive for residency as their MD-only classmates who may also fail to match in increasing numbers. I wrote a paper about this nobody was willing to publish (http://www.neuronix.org/2012/06/effects-of-score-creep-trends-in.html). Still, if these trends for residency worsen, then it will worsen also for MD/PhDs.

Last edited:
I think we will be fine. I am at borderline top 30 program and we have no problems matching. Not everyone is gonna end up at MGH but people seem to be happy with their matches. I am hoping to stay in academia but if my worst case scenario is being a hospitalist working 7 on 7 off for 200 grand I can live with that.

I think we will be fine. I am at borderline top 30 program and we have no problems matching.

We had five people not match in two years from a top-tier program. The programs and the students involved don't like to talk about it due to the sensitive nature of things. This doesn't take into account all the other things I've discussed in other threads like not matching within a preferred specialty but into a backup specialty or not matching in a preferred region (see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10443733&postcount=12).

From my link:

In 2007, 2009, and 2011 there were 531, 573, and 626 matched US senior MD/PhDs respectively. However, the number of MD/PhDs who failed to match also grew during this period from 5.7% (32 unmatched of 531) in 2007 to 8.2% (51 of 573) in 2009 and to 6.8% (46 of 626) in 2011.

We will see what Charting Outcomes 2013 has to say...

We had five people not match in two years from a top-tier program. The programs and the students involved don't like to talk about it due to the sensitive nature of things. This doesn't take into account all the other things I've discussed in other threads like not matching within a preferred specialty but into a backup specialty or not matching in a preferred region (see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10443733&postcount=12).

From my link:

We will see what Charting Outcomes 2013 has to say...

Wow, 5-8% of MD-PhDs do not match. Did I read that right? How does that compare to straight MDs from US schools?

I am not well-informed about the match as I'll begin my MSTP training this summer, but I feel like it makes sense that some MD graduates wouldn't match. In every medical school, you're going to have the bottom 5% who have fulfilled the graduation requirements, but not attractive to residency programs. Is this the case? Or does it have more to do with strategy in the match e.g. applying only to top-tier competitive residencies with below average scores/grades?

Wow, 5-8% of MD-PhDs do not match. Did I read that right? How does that compare to straight MDs from US schools?

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf

For 2011 from Table 2 of the Charting Outcomes (above link), 8.6%.

And yes, you read correctly. Calculate the numbers from Table 2 for MD/PhDs and you will see how I derived my numbers above. Now we do not know which of those PhDs are combined degree students or students who obtained the PhD separately before medical school. However, the overall number is not much higher than the number of combined degree students nationally, which means the bulk of what I'm measuring is combined degree students. If we take the low ball estimate of MD/PhDs failing to match of 5%, that means 1 in 20 will fail to do so. For a large program like a Penn or a WashU, this means on average one student a year should fail to match.

Last edited:
http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf

For 2011 from Table 2 of the Charting Outcomes (above link), 8.6%.

And yes, you read correctly. Calculate the numbers from Table 2 for MD/PhDs and you will see how I derived my numbers above. Now we do not know which of those PhDs are combined degree students or students who obtained the PhD separately before medical school. However, the overall number is not much higher than the number of combined degree students nationally, which means the bulk of what I'm measuring is combined degree students. If we take the low ball estimate of MD/PhDs failing to match of 5%, that means 1 in 20 will fail to do so. For a large program like a Penn or a WashU, this means on average one student a year should fail to match.

Do these numbers take into account students who have no interest to pursue residency and just want to do research, or is the % of non-matched applicants only those who actually attempted to find a residency?

Do these numbers take into account students who have no interest to pursue residency and just want to do research, or is the % of non-matched applicants only those who actually attempted to find a residency?

That table and my extrapolated data counts only match applicants from their senior year in medical school/combined degree program.

That table and my extrapolated data counts only match applicants from their senior year in medical school/combined degree program.

That is a staggeringly high percentage for people who have spent 7-10 years of their lives in post-college education and have demonstrated by dint of a PhD their commitment to academic medicine, all while earning a wage that is barely livable. Of course some of those people will scramble, but likely not into a residency of their choice, and almost certainly not in a location of their choice.

That is a staggeringly high percentage for people who have spent 7-10 years of their lives in post-college education and have demonstrated by dint of a PhD their commitment to academic medicine, all while earning a wage that is barely livable. Of course some of those people will scramble, but likely not into a residency of their choice, and almost certainly not in a location of their choice.

Agreed. I discuss this at length here: http://www.neuronix.org/2011/07/nrmp-puts-out-charting-outcomes-in.html

I know most of the discussion in this thread is two years old, but during interviews I experienced one thing that I didn't see mentioned here. After reading this thread and threads like it I worked my ass off during third year and got straight honors after my first rotation and a significant jump from step 1 to step 2. At my only research track interview I was asked multiple times if this represented a change in my priorities away from research and into clinical medicine.

To add to the tally I have strong PhD performance (F30, 3 first author pubs, multiple co-author pubs including 1 Nature), step 1 is above national average but below average for my desired specialty, middle third of my class and I didn't match my first choice specialty. I didn't even get research track interviews in my first choice specialty. Instead I matched into a non-research track program in my back-up specialty. Conversely, I know someone who hadn't defended yet but had a high step 1 and matched derm at their first choice program.

I know most of the discussion in this thread is two years old, but during interviews I experienced one thing that I didn't see mentioned here. After reading this thread and threads like it I worked my ass off during third year and got straight honors after my first rotation and a significant jump from step 1 to step 2. At my only research track interview I was asked multiple times if this represented a change in my priorities away from research and into clinical medicine.

To add to the tally I have strong PhD performance (F30, 3 first author pubs, multiple co-author pubs including 1 Nature), step 1 is above national average but below average for my desired specialty, middle third of my class and I didn't match my first choice specialty. I didn't even get research track interviews in my first choice specialty. Instead I matched into a non-research track program in my back-up specialty. Conversely, I know someone who hadn't defended yet but had a high step 1 and matched derm at their first choice program.

I think the PhD is counting for less and less these days. What I'm finding alarming with the most recent match is how many MD-PhDs applying into medicine or pediatrics ended up at places quite a bit lower in the ranks than BWH and CHOP. I have a friend in the program with an F30, multiple first and second/third author papers, step 1 of 250+, honors in IM and several other clerkships, etc. who did not match his first choice in IM (got his second choice, and it's a great place, though!).

I'm starting to think that connections and phone calls are becoming more and more important in all specialties, especially those like derm or rad onc. You really need backing at your school and probably one or a few famous people to write letters and make phone calls. Even then, it seems a stellar PhD (and I definitely don't have that) is not a ticket for your choice of residency, you really need to compete very well clinically with the MD only peers.

And in a way, it makes sense. As research/science in the US is taking a nosedive, it's becoming less of a real priority in the eyes of program directors. At this point, the competition is so stiff, it's in their interest to take the highest performing students (clinically and on exams, with good letters/connections) who will cause them the least trouble and demand no special accommodation (i.e. research). A PhD is now just an extra credential, equivalent to getting a extra honors in 2-3 clerkships or getting a 260 instead of a 240. Pretty sad, really.

This story is really troubling because it seems you did everything right except nail your Step 1, which at the time of residency apps is 5ish yrs in your past. I'm curious, what tier is your MSTP program? Not that it makes that much of a difference as Neuronix's tally shows.

That said, I know there are folks in my MSTP with less than stellar Step 1's that do most everything else right and still end up doing really well in the match in very competitive specialties (but phone calls, important letters etc definitely happened). So, I'm not convinced it's a dire as this thread makes it out to be.

Also, I just skimmed the thread and I'm not sure if taken into account, but the rate of 1 in 20 not matching, at least in my program, correlates about to the number that choose not to do residency because they'd much rather do a postdoc than ever do clinical again.