Why don't as many people go into OBGYN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:laugh: Is that your only criteria? The fact there are specialities dedicated to women and children exclusively?
Wow

Members don't see this ad.

I've been assisting with a psychiatrist for Maryland Psychiatric Center, she is working with adolescents in group work and one on one, I haven't been discouraged at all. It's not for everyone. But no one should assume once you see ___ insert disorder here your not going to want to do it anymore! It takes a special type of person with true interest in the field to make a lifelong career out of it. touchpause spend some time on the Psychiatry forum, if you haven't already, much more refreshing.

Also,
It's obviously not as draining as many have concluded since they have some of the highest satisfaction ratings.

Sounds awesome! I love the idea of working with adolscents! I do lurk around the psych forum, I don't tend to comment because I'm just a lowly premed lol

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

I think we care about women's and children's health at least as much as men's. If not more. We have a whole specialties dedicated to children and women. We don't have any that are exclusively for men.

WOW. O/10 for obvious trolling

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW. O/10 for obvious trolling

I don't comment either haha, I don't want to get called out. "Begon! you premed!, ugh these creatures..."

I don't think he's trolling I think he is just a high schooler lol.

I don't comment either haha, I don't want to get called out. "Begon! you premed!, ugh these creatures..."

I don't think he's trolling I think he is just a high schooler lol.

There needs to be a minimum age requirement on these things

From this paper:

http://www.amcp.org/data/jmcp/JMCPSupp_April08_S2-S6.pdf

The healthcare discrepancies between different ethnic groups/socioeconomic classes seems to be a much, much bigger issue than healthcare discrepancies between men and women.

I'd like to bring this up. Growing up in a 3 person household with a single mother and a total income of 10,000 USD is horrible. I had no healthcare until a couple years ago. I was bullied because of my oral appearance, idk how to word that, (horrible crowding), which led to psychological problems, low self esteem, panic attacks, anxiety, and depression were one's I struggled with and still do. I couldn't do anything about it, I could go to psychiatrist or a dentist or anything.

It was brought up in another discussion that being a disadvantaged student was an advantage when applying to research programs... have fun with that.

I think we care about women's and children's health at least as much as men's. If not more. We have a whole specialties dedicated to children and women. We don't have any that are exclusively for men.

lololololololololololol

and every heard of urology?

lol I was waiting for someone to slip and say urology.

To the OP: less than 1% of Obgyn residency spots went unfilled in the initial match and anecdotally I've heard they all filled during SOAP, so as many people went into Obgyn this year as the current system can handle training.

Are you asking why obgyn isn't so popular that tons of people are failing to match into it?

One other thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that Obgyn is a blend of both medicine and surgery. While this is frequently seen as a positive by people going into the field, for many other people the OR is a love/hate type thing and many people either want to always be in the OR or never be there and Obgyn doesn't allow either extreme during training.

I want to go into OB so bad. There is a woman (Mom's Tinfoil Hat) who wanted to go into OB very badly who didn't match.

I'm a male and I am interested in OB/GYN. More specifically I'm interested in Maternal - Fetal Medicine.
Me too if I can do a fellowship and such. :)

This thread has gotten way off track. From the cdc website:

I'd rather smell bovie.

I was inspired by your return. Precious few things motivate me to post, but the chance to exchange quips with my old friend Pons is too hard to pass up.

Btw, "My mistake...he be trollin'"...literally L'ed my AO.
Glad to see you back. When are you applying? :)

+1....I'm afraid of vaginas :scared:...and I have one

Not really anymore so than the male counterparts--and there's some funky stuff in that regard too. Also, no where nearly as foul as probing buttholes if the girls keep a clean shop, so to speak.

Nah, the real issues are 1. malpractice, which is significant, especially in certain states. 2. People go into labor at all times and hours. So, it's not really a lifestyle specialty in any sense.

Actually, the most sensitive OBGYNs I have had were men. Purely anecdotal, and perhaps just the way things happened with me. You can tell who is sensitive and likes what they do and who does not. But they all get tired as heck, b/c L&D cab just start hopping, and they never might never get home. It can be nice bank though, b/c of the surgery components of OB and Gyn procedures.

For me, I like more variety between patients. Even after a certain amount of high risk patients, I'd still want some more variety. Also, I wouldn't want to take that kind of call many years into practice, and I wouldn't want that kind of malpractice threat. Plus, I'd probably make less, b/c I'd try to support more women by strongly encouraging them to have vaginal deliveries over C-sections when possible. Too easy to want to cut and run. Regardless of what anyone says, for many women, major surgery is a lot more stressful to the body than vaginal delivery--depends though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maturity levels on sdn are at an all time high

Yea. I love the anti-female thing. Either that, or some of these people have been hanging around some ummm, scankalicious females. Again, being a nurse, I will tell you that men can have some nasty smelling crotches too. It's about the individual's housekeeping--unless they have something wrong with them--healthwise--or they have been around.

Such comments are idiotic. It's like, hey, don't go exercising, b/c darn, you are going to smell sweaty after you're done. Really? Then I know I am doing it right.

Yea. I love the anti-female thing. Either that, or some of these people have been hanging around some ummm, scankalicious females. Again, being a nurse, I will tell you that men can have some nasty smelling crotches too. It's about the individual's housekeeping--unless they have something wrong with them--healthwise--or they have been around.

Such comments are idiotic. It's like, hey, don't go exercising, b/c darn, you are going to smell sweaty after you're done. Really? Then I know I am doing it right.

I've almost gotten numb to the amount of anti woman attitudes on here. Le sigh.

Also LOL skankalicious

I've almost gotten numb to the amount of anti woman attitudes on here. Le sigh.

Also LOL skankalicious

Definitely true. It's funny, however, how many posts in many threads there have been about getting with females and other STUDacious nonsense. I know at least probably most of them are just messing around, but it's utterly idiotic IMHO. Half or better of all the people they will treat as physicians will be females. No Burnette's Law there. Just saying. It's an issue in general, not necessarily one of pre-physicians.

Now, when they are working in the ED taking caring of their umpteenth prostitute with PID, I might be able to understand a venting comment in closed company. But to generalize toward women, Nah. That's utterly lame--or as I said, some of these people have been hanging with people of questionable hygiene, some sad issue of poor genital-urinary health, or um, overly free-spiritedness, if you know what I mean. Of course I don't have gender bias toward, um, such freedoms. It all equals the same thing to me. But I'm an old fashioned kind of girl. ;)

I prefer my vaginas for other things and decease free. Also, don't want to get sued.

Well, most people don't even know they exist, but OB/GYNs are perceived so negatively in my community that they were placed lower.

I'd like to propose that this was MedPR rejoining our ranks for a giggle. Post history shows no overt reason for a ban so perhaps it was multiple accounts.

I thought the reason why our infant mortality was so high was because we attempt to save infants in conditions that other countries wouldn't risk (really premature)

It's really not that gross. Its just discharge. You're gonna smell fouler things when your patients poop or vomit on you.

Yea, but if things are hygienic and healthy, well it shouldn't be smelling nasty at all. Certainly not as bad as stress or sickness sweat or hardcore exercise sweat.

Given, you never know what smells with various people's vag's you may encounter. But truthfully, I have never smelled anything in this regard as nasty as some of the professional girls with PID. I mean for me, it was hard to take.

I thought the reason why our infant mortality was so high was because we attempt to save infants in conditions that other countries wouldn't risk (really premature)

I believe this is true, BUT some people will argue about it.

I talked to my friend's dad who is an OB/GYN.

He said that last Thursday he had to take out a tampon that was lost inside a girl for a month.

The smell was so bad that it was put into two layers of bio bags and put outside. He had to switch rooms because the smell had resonated in that side of the hall. It's stories like that that are pushing me away, but who knows........