Why don't as many people go into OBGYN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mesinan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Better question, why are you posting this in the pre-medical section?

What's up with the vagina hate? I think vaginas are awesome

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Pros:
Reasonable lifestyle
Historically understanding of wanting to have kids
Can be fairly surgically oriented via Gyn Onc
Offers clinic/procedure balance
Relatively young, healthy population that is happy about why they are in the hospital

Cons:
High malpractice insurance
High rates of lawsuits
Limited variability in patient population

Off the top of my head...

As a teenaged male, I. Thought that GYN would be the best job in the world... Now I am no longer a teenager (I have children that are past their teenage years), I know I don't want to stare up that all day long. Too many people have some sort of STI/STD and that makes the environment a bad place to look.

Births are not neat or nice in any way. Every bodily substance that can come out, will.

Births don't usually happen at "nice" times of the day. They always happen at 3 AM. That puta a crimp on my sleep schedule.

Malpractice insurance will make you a pauper. And I believe that OB/GYN have one of the highest rates of being sued. Also, I don't want to be the one blamed for problems with birth complications.

Several reasons I have crossed OB/GYN off my list of possible specialties.

Don't get me wrong, I still like vaginas. But just the one that belongs to my someone special, and that is not diseased and nasty.

Did you mean to ask "why don't many people go into OBGYN?" Or did you forget to type the second part of the question? The word "as" indicates you're comparing two things (e.g. "why don't as many people go into OBGYN as they used to?" or "why don't as many people go into OGBYN as IM?").

Members don't see this ad :)
Pros:
Reasonable lifestyle
Relatively young, healthy population that is happy about why they are in the hospital

Cons:
High rates of lawsuits

I would say it is more that there is the OPTION for it to be a reasonable lifestyle specialty. The ones I know are seriously less than reasonable (though happy with it). Also, I disagree that there is limited variability in patient population. I mean, besides them being all women, there can be pretty much any age for gyn, obviously there is a certain range for ob. My point is, there are a lot of choices within "obgyn" to tailor to specifically what patient population, lifestyle, and type of practice you want. :love:

What's up with the vagina hate? I think vaginas are awesome

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

I saw a few last week when I was shadowing... they hissed at me!

Pros:
Reasonable lifestyle

Cons:
High rates of lawsuits

Malpractice insurance with today's political situation is the major con.

Just the malpractice insurance by itself is enough to turn me away....

Im a premed student and tell myself that I want to go into this field until recently. I have been trying to shadow at an ob gyn department in a hospital.... Waited one month after being told there is a physician willing to take me on... Only to hear that there is no position available ...

I'm pretty sick of doctors " go speak to my secretary" attitude

Get Over Yourself!!!!

Im a premed student and tell myself that I want to go into this field until recently. I have been trying to shadow at an ob gyn department in a hospital.... Waited one month after being told there is a physician willing to take me on... Only to hear that there is no position available ...

Get Over Yourself!!!!

Well, that's a random hijack.

Get Over Yourself!!!!

If that's the only reason why you don't wanna go into OB/GYN....:rolleyes:

It's funny how you think a doctor telling you that is a bad thing. I see nothing wrong with that.

Get Over Yourself!!!!

I know, it's not like they have anything important to do like see patients...

Lol my apologies... Didnt mean to hijack... Just thought I'd add to the OB/ Gyn talk

Actually love the field but I wish it was a bit easier to get more exposure that's all :)

Pros:
Reasonable lifestyle

Cons:
High rates of lawsuits

Don't forget that they do a ton of call.

Calling your bluff again. If you're male they're supposed to ask you to leave the room if you don't have to be there (e.g. unless you're a med student/resident).

It continues as a med student. :(

As a resident, well...I'm expecting to be denied a few times with OB triage, but being an actual doctor probably has more weight :p

OB/Gyn is second only to surgery in terms of malignant *******s.

Also, if you're a male, OB/Gyn is 10 times more hostile.

ob/gyn is second only to surgery in terms of malignant *******s.

Also, if you're a male and a girl who is prettier than the residents, ob/gyn is 10 times more hostile.

ftfy

It continues as a med student. :(

As a resident, well...I'm expecting to be denied a few times with OB triage, but being an actual doctor probably has more weight :p

Oh interesting. Do you think this varies by location (i.e. are you more likely to get to do more in a poorer area)?

Edit: It's also fitting that you responded to a post where I called someone's bluff... haha

Oh interesting. Do you think this varies by location (i.e. are you more likely to get to do more in a poorer area)?

Hmm...hard to say. I think they wouldn't be as reluctant to who takes care of them, but the idea of a male doing the exam could still be off putting to some. As a male med student, you'll still get a strong experience wherever you go. You'll get kicked out of exam rooms(for religious reasons, personal reasons), but it doesn't happen all the time.

Haha, I can't believe someone called it a lifestyle specialty.

Here's a given week for the OBs I have worked with previously:

24h call, postpartum rounding following that 24h call,
post call day,
clinic,
24h call

rinse, repeat.

Lol my apologies... Didnt mean to hijack... Just thought I'd add to the OB/ Gyn talk

Actually love the field but I wish it was a bit easier to get more exposure that's all :)

You wish it were easier for a random person who says "hey guys, I'm premed!" to show up at a health care facility, walk in, and be shown all the unfamiliar vagina that they can stand? You look at the fact that that is hard as a bug? Most, I'm assuming, would consider that a feature.

Edit: It's also fitting that you responded to a post where I called someone's bluff... haha

Definitely varies by location. County facility=much more likely to participate. Ivory tower + male=no chance.

-Ridiculous malpractice premiums, and you can be sued until the baby turns 18.
-Terrible lifestyle, and not enough money to make up for it.
-OB/GYN's tend to be overworked, malignant douchebags
-Really gross, nasty stuff.
-Discriminatory patients, particularly younger women.
-Discriminatory hiring practices (for private practice firms).
-Female-dominated profession, so it is less prestigious than other fields.

I don't see why a man would want to put up with it, in any case. I guess women can do it because OB/GYN is basically a girl's club, but I'm not a girl, so whatever.

It's quite simple really, you don't s*#^ where you eat.

-Ridiculous malpractice premiums, and you can be sued until the baby turns 18.
-Terrible lifestyle, and not enough money to make up for it.
-OB/GYN's tend to be overworked, malignant douchebags
-Really gross, nasty stuff.
-Discriminatory patients, particularly younger women.
-Discriminatory hiring practices (for private practice firms).
-Female-dominated profession, so it is less prestigious than other fields.

I don't see why a man would want to put up with it, in any case. I guess women can do it because OB/GYN is basically a girl's club, but I'm not a girl, so whatever.

lol wut. There's a big problem with generalizations this big, especially considering how much variability there is within the field.

My roommate's mom gets at least one entire week off per month. I think she would beg to differ. And it's not a low paying specialty--especially because they typically do a good number of procedures.

The second bolded part is pure troll.

lol wut. There's a big problem with generalizations this big, especially considering how much variability there is within the field.

My roommate's mom gets at least one entire week off per month. I think she would beg to differ. And it's not a low paying specialty--especially because they typically do a good number of procedures.

The second bolded part is pure troll.

It's not trolling...society (not me) thinks that male-dominated professions are more prestigious than female ones.

It's not trolling...society (not me) thinks that male-dominated professions are more prestigious than female ones.

tumblr_mgr7dgMTKi1rbsg6jo1_400.gif

You think "society" is going to believe the doctor who performs a C-section is in a less "prestigious" profession than the doctor who removes a gallbladder? :rolleyes:

This is a loaded claim, but if you honestly believe there are medical students who choose not to do OBGYN at least partially because of a misconstrued notion that the field lacks sufficient prestige, I don't know what to tell you.

lol

You think "society" is going to believe the doctor who performs a C-section is in a less "prestigious" profession than the doctor who removes a gallbladder? :rolleyes:

This is a loaded claim, but if you honestly believe there are medical students who choose not to do OBGYN at least partially because of a misconstrued notion that the field lacks sufficient prestige, I don't know what to tell you.

Well, in a few months I will be one of those students, so...

Look, nobody goes into medicine because they JUST want to "help people," and nobody does it because they JUST want an upper middle class income. We all have a variety of reasons for entering medicine.

For me, one of those reasons is prestige. Actually, it's a pretty big reason as far as I'm concerned. Being a physician is already a prestigious profession, but I want to enter a specialty that will bring honor to me and my family. Something like a ROAD specialty or a selective surgical specialty is the best choice here, but there are other good options (family practice is a surprisingly prestigious field as well as far as my family/community/self are concerned).

If I chose OB/GYN, I would constantly have to answer questions about why I was doing "woman's work" rather than a "man's job," whatever that's supposed to be. Do I believe any of that garbage? Hell no.

But the way it works is that I am accountable not only to myself, but to my family and my community. If they think that OB/GYN is not suitable for me, then I defer to their judgment.

Look, nobody goes into medicine because they JUST want to "help people," and nobody does it because they JUST want an upper middle class income. We all have a variety of reasons for entering medicine.

For me, one of those reasons is prestige. Actually, it's a pretty big reason as far as I'm concerned. Being a physician is already a prestigious profession, but I want to enter a specialty that will bring honor to me and my family. Something like a ROAD specialty or a selective surgical specialty is the best choice here, but there are other good options (family practice is a surprisingly prestigious field as well as far as me and my family are concerned).

If I chose OB/GYN, I would constantly have to answer questions about why I was doing "woman's work" rather than a "man's job," whatever that's supposed to be. Do I believe any of that garbage? Hell no.

But the way it works is that I am accountable not only to myself, but to my family and my community. If they think that OB/GYN is not suitable for me, then I defer to their judgment.

numbered list of fields from most honorable to least honorable plz

For me, one of those reasons is prestige. Actually, it's a pretty big reason as far as I'm concerned. Being a physician is already a prestigious profession, but I want to enter a specialty that will bring honor to me and my family. Something like a ROAD specialty or a selective surgical specialty is a high-prestige field is the best choice here, but there are other good options (family practice is a surprisingly prestigious field as well as far as me and my family are concerned).

If I chose OB/GYN, I would constantly have to answer questions about why I was doing "woman's work" rather than a man's job. Do I believe any of that garbage? Hell no.

Okay, I really don't know what to tell you, other than our world views are fundamentally different. I can't imagine how terrible it would be to live life making decisions largely based on the opinions of other people. I hope for your sake that that changes as you get older. #yolo

Okay, I really don't know what to tell you, other than our world views are fundamentally different. I can't imagine how terrible it would be to live life making decisions largely based on the opinions of other people. I hope for your sake that that changes as you get older. #yolo

Well said.

People that make decisions based on opinions of others are very weak minded and fragile. Thankfully, those people grow up(and a sack) and do things for themselves.

A question to ask is why are you accountable for your family and your community? They have no say(or meaning) to someone else's career. Its ALL on you, the actual grown adult.

Edit: Why are randoms even a factor. They don't matter to you, whatsoever. You can argue we don't matter since we are random too I suppose :p

numbered list of fields from most honorable to least honorable plz

Disclaimer: I don't buy into any of this nonsense.

My family's (and larger community's) perspective. This list was gleaned through many, many boring conversations with med student families and other randoms who think I should have decided my career before entering med school.

I'll revise this list as I remember some other specialties. In each tier, list is in rough descending order from left to right.

God Tier: Plastics, Vascular Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Radiology.

Tier 1: Radiation Oncology, Ophthamology, Neurosurgery, Urology, General Surgery (and subspecialties), Anesthesiology,

Tier 2: Family Practice, Emergency Medicine, Pathology, Dermatology (surprisingly low), Internal Medicine (Card/Gastro are Tier 1 I think), PM+R,

Tier 3: Pediatrics (exact prestige level depends on money I think), OB/GYN, Psychiatry