Why don't dental schools accept retaken college classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jordan95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, curious as to why dental schools will not accept retaken college course, and D.O school will? Is there a specific reason for this?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

They do accept them. They just don't replace the old grade. Not exactly sure why.

They do accept them. They just don't replace the old grade. Not exactly sure why.

So, they just average your two grades together? What if my university has a grade replacement thing? (asking for a friend).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So, they just average your two grades together? What if my university has a grade replacement thing? (asking for a friend).

What your university does is completely independent of what AADSAS does. AADSAS will average grades of both attempts, thus your final AADSAS-verified GPA may be different from the final GPA calculated by your university.

Reactions: 2 users
What your university does is completely independent of what AADSAS does. AADSAS will average grades of both attempts, thus your final AADSAS-verfied GPA may be different from the final GPA calculated by your university.
This.

Reactions: 1 user
Is that why AADSAS has their own separate way of calculating GPAs? Because of the schools that do grade replacement? I've always wondered why.. because my school doesn't do grade-replacement and I didn't know there are multiple ways to calculate one's GPA.

AADSAS recalculates everybody's GPA in order to make the playing field even. Otherwise, those whose institutions do grade replacement get an unfair advantage over those whose do not, for example. In addition, that will allow dental schools to see an overall GPA considering all coursework, not just separate GPA's from each institution you attended.