Why don't GRE codes on PTCAS match the codes on ETS???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rangardrum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having issues with what I expected would be a very simple process (how silly me to think that). I'm attempting to send additional GRE score reports to the schools I'm applying to at this point.

I used this link and wrote down the codes I would need.
http://www.ptcas.org/GREbyProgram.html

When I attempted to send out my GRE scores from ETS (online), I noticed that the GRE codes in that link do not seem to appear in the databased school or department codes at ETS. Unfortunately, ETS doesn't seem to let you simply list codes to which you want scores sent. Instead it requires that you (1. Find Your Score Recipient) navigate through a series of steps (country, state, school, dept.) to identify the codes.

I am pretty sure I must be missing something, and you could alleviate my stress greatly if you point out where I'm making a mistake! I thought this would just take a few minutes to do initially!

EDIT: The schools I'm applying to all have codes listed as "new" in the above link.

"Programs with "NEW" GRE codes chose to have ETS send scores (1) only to PTCAS or (2) to PTCAS and the institution. ETS will automatically send official GRE scores to the right place based on the code entered. There is no "extra" step to have your official scores sent to to PTCAS."

What does this mean? Are the schools with "NEW" codes soliciting scores for themselves?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ETS did not display new GRE codes for PTCAS programs before August 1. Now, all of the new GRE codes on the PTCAS Web site should be listed on all GRE forms. To find the code, search for the name of the institution under the correct state. The new codes for PT departments are typically listed right under the "main" GRE code for the institution.

http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_aidi_fellowships.pdf

The reason some PTCAS programs have new codes is so the official GRE scores will come to them as part of the PTCAS file. This helps them because they
.no longer need to match official GRE scores from ETS to the PTCAS files or manually key enter scores.

Official scores for "new" codes may also be sent to the institution (in addition to PTCAS) because some graduate admissions offices at the universities need this data to come directly to them too due to system requirements.

I hope this helps!

Thank you! I'm seeing the new codes now. It's strange I didn't see them yesterday since that was August 2.

Does anyone know if a department code is necessary on top of the institution code?

EDIT: I read that department isn't necessary since the first code includes department. I think I'm finally done with this!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the institution. Again, it's best to refer to the GRE code list on the PTCAS site.

If the program requires a "university" code, it may also require PT applicants to use a "department code". For example, the California State University in Long Beach requires applicants to use 4389 (university code) and 0619 (the PT department code)

It depends on the institution. Again, it's best to refer to the GRE code list on the PTCAS site.

If the program requires a "university" code, it may also require PT applicants to use a "department code". For example, the California State University in Long Beach requires applicants to use 4389 (university code) and 0619 (the PT department code)

That's true. In my case, the schools I'm applying to all have "new" codes. Thanks so much for the response!

So if you took the GRE this past January and had ETS send the scores to the "old" code, but the school now is using the "new" code, do you have to have ETS send that school the same scores again to the schools using the "new" code? I don't want PTCAS to hold up releasing applications because they are waiting for the GRE scores under the "new" number, when the schools already received those scores months ago.

The new codes begin w/ a 7. PTCAS does have a listing. 0619 is PT dept for all the schools I have looked at so I believe this is consistent across the board. I took the GRE yesterday-new version. Took old one in May. The proctor said I knew more about the codes than she did. Had my list of new codes from PTCAS. Looks like the schools get the info and PTCAS confirms what we self report. I was given a "range" for a score based on the old numbers. Apparently they can't do the percentiles yet since not enough people have taken the revised test. This seems to be why the scores aren't available until Nov. Hope this makes sense, it has been confusing.

Wondering what the point is in paying $23 to GRE for reports to more schools (after the 4th one) if PTCAS is reporting your score to the schools to which we apply.

Wondering what the point is in paying $23 to GRE for reports to more schools (after the 4th one) if PTCAS is reporting your score to the schools to which we apply.

Yeah, there seems to be some redundancy. Why can't PTCAS just confirm your self-reported scores are valid just like they do with transcripts? I guess ETS has to get paid, heh. :)

Use the GRE codes on the PTCAS site. If you have trouble locating a "new" GRE code on the ETS code list, contact ETS.

Your best bet is to first search for the PT program's code as you would for the main university -> Search under country, state, and then name of university. "New" GRE codes include the words "Phys Therapy" or similar after the name of the institution, like the ones below.

Arizona

7600 Midwestern U Glendale CMPS Phys Therapy
7668 Northern Arizona U Phys Therapy

In most (but not all) cases, PT programs don't use the 0619 department code. Again, just refer to the GRE codes on the PTCAS site.

PTCAS will still process your application and forward it to your PT programs, even if your official GRE scores are missing or late.