Why don't janitors sign prescriptions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azPharmD2B

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If MAs, RNs, LPNs, and Office Managers will sign it, why not the janitor? Heck, when the UPS guy swings by to deliver a package, why not let him sign the next patient's prescription. Trade one signature for another?

Ugh, so far today I have gotten 4 faxes signed by MAs and 2 by RNs. It's even better when I call the office, get the manager on the phone and they try and tell me that they've been working in the office 'for 10 years'. As if somehow managing a doctor's office even remotely resembles medical school and residency.

Members don't see this ad.

If MAs, RNs, LPNs, and Office Managers will sign it, why not the janitor? Heck, when the UPS guy swings by to deliver a package, why not let him sign the next patient's prescription. Trade one signature for another?

Ugh, so far today I have gotten 4 faxes signed by MAs and 2 by RNs. It's even better when I call the office, get the manager on the phone and they try and tell me that they've been working in the office 'for 10 years'. As if somehow managing a doctor's office even remotely resembles medical school and residency.

Actually, in many states Janitors can!... PROVIDED that they are 'designated agents' of the prescribing practitioner. Even the Pizza boy could call in Rxs or fax them in some states if the doctor says it's ok- yet the pharmacist knows probably 50X more- but you have to do it by procedure.

It's been a long day. :)

Oh, I'm speaking of locals who should know better, especially ones which we have told specifically its not allowed for faxed in Rxs. For out-of-state faxes we just send a fax back explaining the law. For some reason we can take a phone call from an agent, just not a fax. And I thought tax law was complicated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, in many states Janitors can!... PROVIDED that they are 'designated agents' of the prescribing practitioner. Even the Pizza boy could call in Rxs or fax them in some states if the doctor says it's ok- yet the pharmacist knows probably 50X more- but you have to do it by procedure.

It's been a long day. :)

Hell I would hire a pharmacist and let you sign scripts under my supervision, except that i know that after about 15-20 years you guys would get all uppity and insist that you are capable of running an independent clinic. Funny how that always happens once you give the non-physicians a taste of the forbidden fruit. :laugh:

Its amazing how many nurses, PAs, NPs, pharmacists, chiropractors, acupuncturists, naturopaths, psychologists, and everybody else in healthcare wants the privileges of an MD without the work.

Hell I would hire a pharmacist and let you sign scripts under my supervision, except that i know that after about 15-20 years you guys would get all uppity and insist that you are capable of running an independent clinic. Funny how that always happens once you give the non-physicians a taste of the forbidden fruit. :laugh:

Its amazing how many nurses, PAs, NPs, pharmacists, chiropractors, acupuncturists, naturopaths, psychologists, and everybody else in healthcare wants the privileges of an MD without the work.

And because physicians are so efficient at running independent clinics...it's a thriving business everywhere... yeah right.:smuggrin: Then why are there business managers managing sucessful practices?? The sad truth is physicians are not the best at running an independent clinic.

Report illegal signing of Rx's by non-physicians.

End of story.

Class warfare and envy. You'll see the mid-levels sell their souls for socialized medicine, and then we'll all be in trouble.

Class warfare and envy. You'll see the mid-levels sell their souls for socialized medicine, and then we'll all be in trouble.

I thought that residents didn't have time for trolling forums.