Why don't many DO schools have fancy match ceremonies like MD schools?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Tozanzibarbymotorcar, Feb 9, 2019.

1. DO2015CA

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    True. But fm might be their true back up and do a sports med fellowship afterwards

2. Osteosaur

Osteosaur I eat the whole patient

Medical Student
    Are DO students who don't fail their boards and apply reasonably at no risk for being jobless then?

Honestly I'm doing well right now but too drained to sell t-shirts for the peds club, and am sick of research. Sort of worried I'll be lacking shiney ECs when the time comes.

sunshinefl likes this.
  3. SLC

SLC A Punk rock Country doc
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some of y’all are in for a treat when you finally make attending and realize these past 4+ years of self loathing was pointless.

I’d go DO again, I’d even go to my school again. I probably wouldn’t have said that as a student, but I’ve got a pretty sweet gig going despite being a DO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    DokterMom, arc5005, Sardonix and 15 others like this.
  4. DrStephenStrange

DrStephenStrange OMS-I C/O 2022
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

Medical Student
    That's what I'm talking about man. People on SDN make DO schools seem like the worst thing that could ever happen to them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Sardonix, preme_10, toedrag and 2 others like this.
  5. Goro

Faculty Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    It does get tiring, doesn't it? Fortunately, SDN provides us with the Ignore function, which I have applied to some of the self-hating DO students here.

You are 100% correct. At my school, those kids who don't match either:
    1) Have ridiculously small or unrealistic match lists
    2) Have red flags. Big time ones, like rotation failures, COMLEX failures, and/or year repeats.

Surprisingly, Step I failures do not seem to be that much of an issue.

6. Blanky

Medical Student (Accepted)
    At least Ortho / IM could drop you at a decent IM and then gun for GI or cards...

7. ohmanwaddup

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    probs causes you dont have to report it

8. QueenJames

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree.

I post a lot of bull on here but deep down I'm happy to be where I am at and where I am heading.

I really think not focusing on one specialty from the get go of med school and trying my best made me see the bigger picture in the long-run.

Every school has it's problems, and every school has it's students that make this process seem crappy, but no complaints.

It could ALWAYS be worse.

Can't wait to be in your shoes in a few years SLC.

<3

fldoctorgirl, Sardonix, Goro and 3 others like this.
  9. ohmanwaddup

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey dude, I always like your posts and how you try and keep it real. How is third year going?

Sardonix and QueenJames like this.
  10. QueenJames

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah.. a lot of people on here don't share the same sentiment due to the overwhelming amount of butthurt this generation of students seems to not be able to handle.

I have another thread entitled "Rotations suck" or something like that and am working on a post for that. That pretty much sums it up bro. Check it out. I'll update it more this week.

11. BorntobeDO?

BorntobeDO? SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lol, too real man, too real. Don't you go getting yourself another 'break' with some of these mods here. I always miss you when you gone boo.

Edit: you better send me that rank list when the time comes, I need someone sane in my residency.

Sardonix, ciestar and QueenJames like this.
  12. DOFOSHO

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    not studying enough and/or having a bad attitude are the biggest factors.

13. Blanky

I'm rooting for you bro! You are going to be just fine in life.

QueenJames likes this.
  14. Goro

Faculty Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Throw mental health issues into this mix as well.

QueenJames likes this.
  15. Ho0v-man

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    2 sets of boards, nonsense OMM, and higher tuition suck. But truthfully, I’d probably be just as miserable at an MD school so its not really the DO degreee thats the problem.

Hippogryff, Chibucks15, Roxas and 3 others like this.
  16. Steve_Zissou

2+ Year Member

I have several friends who are pre-med and when they ask me how med school is I tell them the truth, it sucks. I follow that up with “no one goes to med school to be a med student, we’re all here to be doctors so hopefully the suck is worth it.” First year sucks, 12-13 hour days spent indoors grinding information. At least I make time to enjoy my weekends I suppose.

17. WorldChanger36

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    William Carey is having an NRMP match day ceremony. This is our first one and we are not sure who is going to show up for it.

18. DO2015CA

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is your school rebuilt?

19. WorldChanger36

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Yes

20. DrStephenStrange

DrStephenStrange OMS-I C/O 2022
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

Medical Student
    Didn't they have like the lowest placement rate overall last year? And already the lowest AOA match rate this year?

21. WorldChanger36

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Dont forget the 2nd lowest in participation in the aoa match. Very few in my class were in that match most were others that didnt match last year. Many of them have scrambled into a position. Have to wait for the NRMP match to get any real numbers from our school.

DrStephenStrange likes this.
  22. SLC

SLC A Punk rock Country doc
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    2 sets of boards is a self inflicted wound, nobody required that of you (I took them too though, and to be honest it wasn’t that bad). Tuition is more expensive than a state MD program, but not appreciably more than a private MD.

It’s just burnout most of you all are experiencing. I got it too. It’s nice to be on the other side though. It’ll get a lot better, I promise.

23. Hippogryff

Hippogryff birb
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Nice to have physicians who made it to the other side come back and throw some water on the hysteria. Appreciate it, doc.

Goro, Steve_Zissou, Roxas and 4 others like this.
  24. ortnakas

ortnakas DO PGY-1
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The vast majority of my friends were happy with their match last year. Then again, most of my friends were realistic about their level of competitiveness for their desired specialty so even those who took a go-big-or-go-home mentality and had it not pan out weren’t blindsided.

Make sure you don’t match at a program with a nicotine-free policy. Would suck to get fired before you start (some programs I interviewed at) or end up paying way more for health insurance (several others I interviewed at) because you had one fun day on a boat.

DrStephenStrange and QueenJames like this.
  25. QueenJames

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You are frickin' joking.

W.

T.

F.

LOL

26. MightBeACylon439

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It’s true about the nicotine policy but it’s a ua, people are woefully ignorant about how companies drug test, how drug testing works, and how long these substances can be detected in your urine.

Tbh it reminds me of middle schoolers who think they can get std’s or pregnant from sitting on a toilet.

Goro, QueenJames and Neopolymath like this.
  27. Black Coffee 24/7

I think the main question here is how much water we have to drink and for how long in order to go negative on these UAs.

QueenJames likes this.
  28. drfeelgood

drfeelgood In Gas We Trust
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I remember my Match Day in 2002. I was on a Psych rotation with another WesternU student at the UCLA Wadsworth VA. We both logged on at noon and the site shut down. We had to round on more patients because the UCLA med students had the day off for their Party. Found out I match Anesthesia at 2 pm and my classmate IM. Drove home, ate dinner with my parents. Back to Westwood the next day. No fuss....No party.. I didn't know 1 in 5 didn't match......ignorance is bliss...

Spectreman and tsmleague like this.
  29. Spectreman

Verified Account 2+ Year Member

1 in 5 didn’t match!?
    And that’s pre-mega costco med schools! I worry there’s a big attrition secret that DO schools keep under wraps. Oh well, just have to make my own destiny I guess.

30. anthony78001

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thats hilarious