Why don't many DO schools have fancy match ceremonies like MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apparently yes bc the person told me that he or she was applying to both Ortho and FM programs and was fine with either specialties.

We all know that being fine with either specialties is bs. Ortho gunners aren't fine with FM.
True. But fm might be their true back up and do a sports med fellowship afterwards

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Usually applying above their application due to delusions.

Are DO students who don't fail their boards and apply reasonably at no risk for being jobless then?

Honestly I'm doing well right now but too drained to sell t-shirts for the peds club, and am sick of research. Sort of worried I'll be lacking shiney ECs when the time comes.

Reactions: 1 user
Some of y’all are in for a treat when you finally make attending and realize these past 4+ years of self loathing was pointless.

I’d go DO again, I’d even go to my school again. I probably wouldn’t have said that as a student, but I’ve got a pretty sweet gig going despite being a DO.

Reactions: 23 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some of y’all are in for a treat when you finally make attending and realize these past 4+ years of self loathing was pointless.

I’d go DO again, I’d even go to my school again. I probably wouldn’t have said that as a student, but I’ve got a pretty sweet gig going despite being a DO.
That's what I'm talking about man. People on SDN make DO schools seem like the worst thing that could ever happen to them.

Reactions: 7 users
These regular SDNers acting like they go to a fake medical school becuase it’s DO is not doing anyone any favors.
It does get tiring, doesn't it? Fortunately, SDN provides us with the Ignore function, which I have applied to some of the self-hating DO students here.

Are DO students who don't fail their boards and apply reasonably at no risk for being jobless then?
You are 100% correct. At my school, those kids who don't match either:
1) Have ridiculously small or unrealistic match lists
2) Have red flags. Big time ones, like rotation failures, COMLEX failures, and/or year repeats.

Surprisingly, Step I failures do not seem to be that much of an issue.

Reactions: 3 users
Apparently yes bc the person told me that he or she was applying to both Ortho and FM programs and was fine with either specialties.

We all know that being fine with either specialties is bs. Ortho gunners aren't fine with FM.
At least Ortho / IM could drop you at a decent IM and then gun for GI or cards...

It does get tiring, doesn't it? Fortunately, SDN provides us with the Ignore function, which I have applied to some of the self-hating DO students here.

You are 100% correct. At my school, those kids who don't match either:
1) Have ridiculously small or unrealistic match lists
2) Have red flags. Big time ones, like rotation failures, COMLEX failures, and/or year repeats.

Surprisingly, Step I failures do not seem to be that much of an issue.
probs causes you dont have to report it

I agree.

I post a lot of bull on here but deep down I'm happy to be where I am at and where I am heading.

I really think not focusing on one specialty from the get go of med school and trying my best made me see the bigger picture in the long-run.

Every school has it's problems, and every school has it's students that make this process seem crappy, but no complaints.

It could ALWAYS be worse.

Can't wait to be in your shoes in a few years SLC.

<3

I agree.

I post a lot of bull on here but deep down I'm happy to be where I am at and where I am heading.

I really think not focusing on one specialty from the get go of med school and trying my best made me see the bigger picture in the long-run.

Every school has it's problems, and every school has it's students that make this process seem crappy, but no complaints.

<3
Hey dude, I always like your posts and how you try and keep it real. How is third year going?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey dude, I always like your posts and how you try and keep it real. How is third year going?

Yeah.. a lot of people on here don't share the same sentiment due to the overwhelming amount of butthurt this generation of students seems to not be able to handle.

I have another thread entitled "Rotations suck" or something like that and am working on a post for that. That pretty much sums it up bro. Check it out. I'll update it more this week.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah.. a lot of people on here don't share the same sentiment due to the overwhelming amount of butthurt this generation of students seems to not be able to handle.

I have another thread entitled "Rotations suck" or something like that and am working on a post for that. That pretty much sums it up bro. Check it out. I'll update it more this week.
Lol, too real man, too real. Don't you go getting yourself another 'break' with some of these mods here. I always miss you when you gone boo.

Edit: you better send me that rank list when the time comes, I need someone sane in my residency.

How are these schools hiding that 5% of their graduates are unemployed?

Mine's shown a 100% placement. As I understand its considered one of the better DO schools, has its own healthcare system/hospital, etc. I mean I think its good but this does worry me a little.

And of the DO students who don't match is this pure chance based off bad luck on clinical rotations? The fact these students had no business being in medical school?

not studying enough and/or having a bad attitude are the biggest factors.

I agree.

<3
I'm rooting for you bro! You are going to be just fine in life.

Members don't see this ad :)

2 sets of boards, nonsense OMM, and higher tuition suck. But truthfully, I’d probably be just as miserable at an MD school so its not really the DO degreee thats the problem.

I have several friends who are pre-med and when they ask me how med school is I tell them the truth, it sucks. I follow that up with “no one goes to med school to be a med student, we’re all here to be doctors so hopefully the suck is worth it.” First year sucks, 12-13 hour days spent indoors grinding information. At least I make time to enjoy my weekends I suppose.

Reactions: 5 users
William Carey is having an NRMP match day ceremony. This is our first one and we are not sure who is going to show up for it.

William Carey is having an NRMP match day ceremony. This is our first one and we are not sure who is going to show up for it.
Didn't they have like the lowest placement rate overall last year? And already the lowest AOA match rate this year?

Didn't they have like the lowest placement rate overall last year? And already the lowest AOA match rate this year?
Dont forget the 2nd lowest in participation in the aoa match. Very few in my class were in that match most were others that didnt match last year. Many of them have scrambled into a position. Have to wait for the NRMP match to get any real numbers from our school.

2 sets of boards, nonsense OMM, and higher tuition suck. But truthfully, I’d probably be just as miserable at an MD school so its not really the DO degreee thats the problem.

2 sets of boards is a self inflicted wound, nobody required that of you (I took them too though, and to be honest it wasn’t that bad). Tuition is more expensive than a state MD program, but not appreciably more than a private MD.

It’s just burnout most of you all are experiencing. I got it too. It’s nice to be on the other side though. It’ll get a lot better, I promise.

Reactions: 12 users
2 sets of boards is a self inflicted wound, nobody required that of you (I took them too though, and to be honest it wasn’t that bad). Tuition is more expensive than a state MD program, but not appreciably more than a private MD.

It’s just burnout most of you all are experiencing. I got it too. It’s nice to be on the other side though. It’ll get a lot better, I promise.
Nice to have physicians who made it to the other side come back and throw some water on the hysteria. Appreciate it, doc.

Reactions: 6 users
The vast majority of my friends were happy with their match last year. Then again, most of my friends were realistic about their level of competitiveness for their desired specialty so even those who took a go-big-or-go-home mentality and had it not pan out weren’t blindsided.

I want to grab a couple beers and champagne, go book a yacht with some family, and smoke a couple cubans and get the best tan I can get before residency.

Make sure you don’t match at a program with a nicotine-free policy. Would suck to get fired before you start (some programs I interviewed at) or end up paying way more for health insurance (several others I interviewed at) because you had one fun day on a boat.

The vast majority of my friends were happy with their match last year. Then again, most of my friends were realistic about their level of competitiveness for their desired specialty so even those who took a go-big-or-go-home mentality and had it not pan out weren’t blindsided.

Make sure you don’t match at a program with a nicotine-free policy. Would suck to get fired before you start (some programs I interviewed at) or end up paying way more for health insurance (several others I interviewed at) because you had one fun day on a boat.

You are frickin' joking.

W.

T.

F.

LOL

You are frickin' joking.

W.

T.

F.

LOL

It’s true about the nicotine policy but it’s a ua, people are woefully ignorant about how companies drug test, how drug testing works, and how long these substances can be detected in your urine.

Tbh it reminds me of middle schoolers who think they can get std’s or pregnant from sitting on a toilet.

It’s true about the nicotine policy but it’s a ua, people are woefully ignorant about how companies drug test, how drug testing works, and how long these substances can be detected in your urine.

Tbh it reminds me of middle schoolers who think they can get std’s or pregnant from sitting on a toilet.

I think the main question here is how much water we have to drink and for how long in order to go negative on these UAs.

I remember my Match Day in 2002. I was on a Psych rotation with another WesternU student at the UCLA Wadsworth VA. We both logged on at noon and the site shut down. We had to round on more patients because the UCLA med students had the day off for their Party. Found out I match Anesthesia at 2 pm and my classmate IM. Drove home, ate dinner with my parents. Back to Westwood the next day. No fuss....No party.. I didn't know 1 in 5 didn't match......ignorance is bliss...

I remember my Match Day in 2002. I was on a Psych rotation with another WesternU student at the UCLA Wadsworth VA. We both logged on at noon and the site shut down. We had to round on more patients because the UCLA med students had the day off for their Party. Found out I match Anesthesia at 2 pm and my classmate IM. Drove home, ate dinner with my parents. Back to Westwood the next day. No fuss....No party.. I didn't know 1 in 5 didn't match......ignorance is bliss...
1 in 5 didn’t match!?
And that’s pre-mega costco med schools! I worry there’s a big attrition secret that DO schools keep under wraps. Oh well, just have to make my own destiny I guess.

1 in 5 didn’t match!?
And that’s pre-mega costco med schools! I worry there’s a big attrition secret that DO schools keep under wraps. Oh well, just have to make my own destiny I guess.
That was 2002 in reference to an unknown school and matching and attrition are different measures. As a student, you'll see for yourself how many in your class come back for the second semester and the second year and third year, etc. If there were a big attrition issue anywhere I think we'd be alerted by students there.

Awesome man! Me too! I got a sweet gig $460k q 7 call, a mil in the 401k, getting bought out and getting paid $$$. And my hot wife comes from oil money!!!

Is that supposed to impress somebody?
I’m just saying that we all experienced the same anxiety as you guys in school.. I still keep in contact with 5 of my classmates from WesternU COMP.... and we all would do it again. Just trying to cheer you guys on.... Plus I’m on call in a boring EX-lap , waiting for the surgeon to finish. With nothing else to do than to go back to SDN waste time.

I’m just saying that we all experienced the same anxiety as you guys in school.. I still keep in contact with 5 of my classmates from WesternU COMP.... and we all would do it again. Just trying to cheer you guys on.... Plus I’m on call in a boring EX-lap , waiting for the surgeon to finish. With nothing else to do than to go back to SDN waste time.

I'm just messing with you. I'm glad that you're enjoying your life. In all honesty, medical school has treated me well.

I like the cut of your gib.

I’m an older guy with a bunch of kids, supported my fam on CNA money (~22k/year) for TEN YEARS... now I’m finally a 2nd year student and I have to say, this post was just what I needed. God I can’t wait to be off food stamps and out of section 8 housing.

I’m an older guy with a bunch of kids, supported my fam on CNA money (~22k/year) for TEN YEARS... now I’m finally a 2nd year student and I have to say, this post was just what I needed. God I can’t wait to be off food stamps and out of section 8 housing.

It’ll happen, sooner than you realize.

I was similar, had a family in undergrad, super poor. Med-school was hard but now I’m working 8-4:30 (including a 2hr lunch break). I’m at work 4 days a week, making ~$300k + benefits. I rode my mountain bike more in the past 8 months than I was able to in the previous decade. It used to be that I was unable to afford the gas to head 3-4hrs to Moab or Colorado, much less pay for food or a hotel; now I go whenever I feel like it. Feels so good!

And I legit look forward to getting back to work on Monday too, it’s like a dream come true.

Hang in there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Awesome man! Me too! I got a sweet gig $460k q 7 call, a mil in the 401k, getting bought out and getting paid $$$. And my hot wife comes from oil money!!!
I like your username

It’ll happen, sooner than you realize.

I was similar, had a family in undergrad, super poor. Med-school was hard but now I’m working 8-4:30 (including a 2hr lunch break). I’m at work 4 days a week, making ~$300k + benefits. I rode my mountain bike more in the past 8 months than I was able to in the previous decade. It used to be that I was unable to afford the gas to head 3-4hrs to Moab or Colorado, much less pay for food or a hotel; now I go whenever I feel like it. Feels so good!

And I legit look forward to getting back to work on Monday too, it’s like a dream come true.

Hang in there!

I've said this once and I'll say it before.

You are #GOALS.

Wow.

I've said this once and I'll say it before.
You are #GOALS.
Wow.

The real reality is that every doc that I've met with the exception of Peds makes min 300k while working 4.5 days a week.

Just don't do Peds, unless you want to be a disgruntled doc that gets pissed on by all docs in every specialties bc you're in the lowest paying specialty.

The real reality is that every doc that I've met with the exception of Peds makes min 300k while working 4.5 days a week.

Just don't do Peds, unless you want to be a disgruntled doc that gets pissed on by all docs in every specialties bc you're in the lowest paying specialty.

Post like this give me hope. Every doctor I’ve ever shadowed act like the world is ending and they can’t afford a single thing. I know I will work in a SUPER small town (1,847 population size), and I just hope they will pay well lol.

Edit: I first put 10,000, but that didn’t feel right. After a quick Google search, my hometown grew from 1,500 —-> 1847 lol.

Post like this give me hope. Every doctor I’ve ever shadowed act like the world is ending and they can’t afford a single thing. I know I will work in a SUPER small town (10,000 population size), and I just hope they will pay well lol.

Complete bs. I know the real #s out there from at least 5-6 diff specialties. The amount of cash that you'll make with the amount of free time will be much larger than the #s on the Internet, depending on how hard you want to hustle. But, I can tell you that the real numbers for most specialties, outside of Anesthesiology, Peds, Nephrology, and Radiology, are about 30-50% higher than the Internet numbers assuming a normal workload for that specialty.

Post like this give me hope. Every doctor I’ve ever shadowed act like the world is ending and they can’t afford a single thing. I know I will work in a SUPER small town (1,847 population size), and I just hope they will pay well lol.

Edit: I first put 10,000, but that didn’t feel right. After a quick Google search, my hometown grew from 1,500 —-> 1847 lol.

That's bc the old docs in their late 50s or early 60s are inefficient and lazy as hell. Prime example in my FM rotation:

My young FM preceptor sees about 16-20 pts/day. The other FM guy sees about 6-8 pts/day.

But, then we have all of these old men yapping about how millennial medical students are soft, weak, inefficient, etc... while it's very obvious that the caliber of today medical students are 3-4x the quality of those in the past as evident by the increased in efficiency and board scores.

Reactions: 5 users