Why freak out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why freak out if you don't get in?

Answer: $$$$$$$$$$$$ App fees.

Exactly. Money doesn't grow on trees. The way once describes "oh it doesn't matter just apply over and over again" seems naive. Extra app fees, traveling expenses(why can't planes be cheaper :mad:) making sure your app is better than last time(cause if you apply with no changes in GPA/MCAT/ECs....you cray cray), applying to more schools than last time(and/or branching out to DO schools). A lot goes into it.

Members don't see this ad.

Exactly. Money doesn't grow on trees. The way once describes "oh it doesn't matter just apply over and over again" seems naive. Extra app fees, traveling expenses(why can't planes be cheaper :mad:) making sure your app is better than last time(cause if you apply with no changes in GPA/MCAT/ECs....you cray cray), applying to more schools than last time(and/or branching out to DO schools). A lot goes into it.

ding ding ding

Why is there so much anxiety associated with the app process AFTER applications have been submitted?

I understand getting everything organized and set to go can be a big stressor. But once its out of your control, try to take your mind off of it. If you know you've done your best thus far and polished your app, think of it like the med school would be at a loss to not accept you.

And besides if you don't get in, try again next year..if you really want to be a doctor you'll find a way.

Anyone agree? Or are we going to support the "panic thread"?

Yes! OP is back!

Members don't see this ad :)
Many SDN Pre meds are just wound too tight. They still worry about insignificant BS after they have an acceptance.
Too much stress for too long. I'm so happy that things were different when I applied. :)

AFTER is the key word here. In order to get in, applicants need a fine attention to detail and to maybe have a degree of neuroticism BEFORE applying. Once its out of your hands, try to distract yourself.

As people pointed out, the worrying will happen regardless. But is there a need for a "panic thread"? Why not a "keep your mind off submitted applications" thread?

AFTER is the key word here. In order to get in, applicants need a fine attention to detail and to maybe have a degree of neuroticism BEFORE applying. Once its out of your hands, try to distract yourself.

As people pointed out, the worrying will happen regardless. But is there a need for a "panic thread"? Why not a "keep your mind off submitted applications" thread?

Don't have to come here to keep your mind off things.

Many SDN Pre meds are just wound too tight. They still worry about insignificant BS after they have an acceptance.
Too much stress for too long. I'm so happy that things were different when I applied. :)

"I just found several typos in my PS... am I screwed?"

Think of it like group therapy. Knowing that you aren't the only one worried about getting one acceptance can be a sigh of relief.

Of course, it can lead to group neuroticism. Double edge sword.

Because no one would post in it... Who comes to SDN to keep their minds off their applications? The panic thread is for people who are feeling worried to talk to others who are going through the same thing. It's something we care about and invested a lot of time and effort in so it's natural to be worried. I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.

Or maybe...posting about how little you care is your defense mechanism against the stress. :idea:

Before I post a long response, are you not worried one little iota? Are you unable to empathizing with your future colleagues who have put years of effort and thousands of dollars into the hope that they will get accepted to medical school?

The opportunity cost of "just trying again next year" is quite significant. Not everyone has thousands of dollars in the bank and a job waiting in case they need to try again next year. Many people have gone all in on this cycle, especially re-applicants.

Before I post a long response, are you not worried one little iota? Are you unable to empathizing with your future colleagues who have put years of effort and thousands of dollars into the hope that they will get accepted to medical school?

The opportunity cost of "just trying again next year" is quite significant. Not everyone has thousands of dollars in the bank and a job waiting in case they need to try again next year. Many people have gone all in on this cycle, especially re-applicants.

Good point. But please don't post a long response. Not needed.

Why freak out if you don't get in?

Answer: $$$$$$$$$$$$ App fees.

:thumbup:

Shenanigan and ShenanigansMD... On the same thread. :eek: