Why freak out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

once

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is there so much anxiety associated with the app process AFTER applications have been submitted?

I understand getting everything organized and set to go can be a big stressor. But once its out of your control, try to take your mind off of it. If you know you've done your best thus far and polished your app, think of it like the med school would be at a loss to not accept you.

And besides if you don't get in, try again next year..if you really want to be a doctor you'll find a way.

Anyone agree? Or are we going to support the "panic thread"?

Members don't see this ad.

Another quality thread by Once...

Why is there so much anxiety associated with the app process AFTER applications have been submitted?

I understand getting everything organized and set to go can be a big stressor. But once its out of your control, try to take your mind off of it. If you know you've done your best thus far and polished your app, think of it like the med school would be at a loss to not accept you.

And besides if you don't get in, try again next year..if you really want to be a doctor you'll find a way.

This guy doesn't get it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Explain. It's better stressing about something you have absolutely no control over?

EDIT: Also not a guy

Logically it makes sense, doesn't make it easy in practice. It's like when you have a family member that goes off to war. Sure what happens to her/him is out of your control, but that doesn't make it easier to not worry and stress. Obviously medical school isn't life or death, but just illustrating a point on things being out of one's control.

Have you applied?

I agree, but since I've never gone through the process I don't know how I would really react...

Plus a lot of the panic on here comes from reading other people's application/interview progress.

This guy doesn't get it...

+1 :thumbup:

I'm not even applying yet so take my contribution with a grain of salt, but I have a type A personality-- I don't understand how you would NOT be anxious. That's just how I am and I think a large population of SDN users have a similar personality. I blame evolution.

Logically it makes sense, doesn't make it easy in practice. It's like when you have a family member that goes off to war. Sure what happens to her/him is out of your control, but that doesn't make it easier to not worry and stress. Obviously medical school isn't life or death, but just illustrating a point on things being out of one's control.

Thanks Narmerguy. It does make logical sense, and I am guilty of worrying about apps and whatnot. But I know if it doesn't work out one cycle I will keep applying until I get to where I want to go and exhaust all possible options.

But do we really need a "panic thread" to sortof encourage freaking out? Definitely not

10/10 would read again.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Coolstarrybra. This really furthered my understanding of the topic

You've clearly got it all figured out. How could someone like me ever further your understanding? :confused:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to think that we fool ourselves into believing that by actively worrying about every event, be it in our control or not, we somehow might have a better result rather than if we ignored it.

Thanks Narmerguy. It does make logical sense, and I am guilty of worrying about apps and whatnot. But I know if it doesn't work out one cycle I will keep applying until I get to where I want to go and exhaust all possible options.

But do we really need a "panic thread" to sortof encourage freaking out? Definitely not

Eh, I think you're thinking of this the wrong way. The freaking out is going to happen regardless. Having a "panic thread" somewhat confines it to one place.

Friendly response: People panic, and worry about their futures all the time. It's your responsibility to not let it get to you. If you don't need to panic, great for you! Others do not feel quite as cool about it, it seems. :)

Some of us have financial restrictions and loan sharks on our asses, which means we can't have the luxury of applying again and again.

I'm all for taking a laid back and easy going attitude toward most things in life. Hell I was a slacker pretty much my entire academic career, but when the direction of your entire life and career is placed in the hands of a small committee of people you will never see it can make you a little... well crazy. Sprinkle in some old fashion Pre-med neuroticism, a dash of egomania, an ounce of competition, and a dash of fear. By those powers combined you have an SDN panic thread. And lets be real wouldn't you get a little worked up something you care about and have worked really hard for is denied to you?

I'm all for taking a laid back and easy going attitude toward most things in life. Hell I was a slacker pretty much my entire academic career, but when the direction of your entire life and career is placed in the hands of a small committee of people you will never see it can make you a little... well crazy. Sprinkle in some old fashion Pre-med neuroticism, a dash of egomania, an ounce of competition, and a dash of fear. By those powers combined you have an SDN panic thread. And lets be real wouldn't you get a little worked up something you care about and have worked really hard for is denied to you?

Off-topic, but...

DEADPOOL!

+1 :thumbup:

I'm not even applying yet so take my contribution with a grain of salt, but I have a type A personality-- I don't understand how you would NOT be anxious. That's just how I am and I think a large population of SDN users have a similar personality. I blame evolution.

+2.
I look forward to your posts after you submit, then you will understand why that thread is necessary. As for why stress, your future rests in the hands of a few individuals who may dislike you for any reason. And yes, if you dont get in you can always reapply for hundreds/thousands of dollars, postponing what you really want to do for another year. I could say more but I doubt it's worth it.

Because people (ie, pre-meds) driven so strongly by external validation feel threatened when things don't go their way, and they take rejections as personal judgments of their character and accomplishments. In other words, it's an ego problem. It's stressful to consider the fact that something you want badly and want to spend the rest of your life doing (and, dare I say, "deserve") may not actually pan out.

(sent from my phone)

I'm all for taking a laid back and easy going attitude toward most things in life. Hell I was a slacker pretty much my entire academic career, but when the direction of your entire life and career is placed in the hands of a small committee of people you will never see it can make you a little... well crazy. Sprinkle in some old fashion Pre-med neuroticism, a dash of egomania, an ounce a ton of competition, and a dash of fear. By those powers combined you have an SDN panic thread. And lets be real wouldn't you get a little worked up something you care about and have worked really hard for is denied to you?

Whoops, typo. I fixed it for you.

Because there's only so many hours in the day we can fill with non-panicking activities. Prior to getting IIs/Acceptances, I did my best to occupy my time with studying, hanging out, etc. but you inevitably find yourself checking online statuses, checking your e-mail, or (god forbid) checking SDN.

Also, you say we can polish all we want but when we have NO clue how schools look at things/evaluate us, we have no possible way of predicting/feeling good about our chances until we have that acceptance. For a lot of people, it's like a black box that just chews up our application and spits out a result. Yes, schools would be at a loss to not accept us but the same goes for so many other amazing applicants. Waiting sucks.

I wonder if people were this neurotic back when applications were sent on paper? Certainly there's more at stake since the process is more competitive nowadays and as NickNaylor said, external validation feels good man.

The "fun" doesn't go away in med school. The time between interviews and match day can be a wee bit nerve wracking. Thankfully, a wonderful person invented margaritas and vodkas :)

Well, why do football teams worry about the final three weeks of the season? I mean, they've already played the best they can so far this season, and there's nothing they can do about those games. Why be anxious about whether or not you'll make the playoffs? If you lose another game, you'll have another chance to clinch that spot next week, so why even worry and frustrate over last week's result that you can't change? It's useless to deliberate over possible flaws and shortcomings on your team and game plan, and useless to struggle to evaluate whether or not you truly believe you are good enough of a team to compete with the others.

Why worry and beat yourself up over the fact that, after having devoted the better part of 2-3 months to your application and submitted thousands of dollars in checks, there is a very real chance that you might have failed? And that even if you try to get better for the next cycle, you really don't know for sure what you have done wrong, and you may fail, and entirely lose your chance to succeed?

Because people (ie, pre-meds) driven so strongly by external validation feel threatened when things don't go their way, and they take rejections as personal judgments of their character and accomplishments. In other words, it's an ego problem. It's stressful to consider the fact that something you want badly and want to spend the rest of your life doing (and, dare I say, "deserve") may not actually pan out.

(sent from my phone)

btw is this Coleontheroll?

NickNaylor is white. According to sdn folk, he apparently looks like a mix of leonardo dicaprio and seth mcfarlane, irl.

Coleontheroll was black. He looked a lot like lil wayne, iirc.

Once, you so crazy.

Seriously. Coleontheroll sounds like someone who would listen to Drake in his free time. NickNaylor at least has better musical tastes ;)

NickNaylor is white. According to sdn folk, he apparently looks like a mix of leonardo dicaprio and seth mcfarlane, irl.

Coleontheroll was black. He looked a lot like lil wayne, iirc.

Once, you so crazy.

Seriously. Coleontheroll sounds like someone who would listen to Drake in his free time. NickNaylor at least has better musical tastes ;)

Thanks for the clarification. I knew Once was making some faulty declaration... As usual.

But, but, but this is what SDN is all about... Neuroticism.

Why does a future father stress while his wife is getting ready to pop out a baby? It's not like he needs the epidural. It's out of his control, so he should just go on playing angry birds in the corner. And if the baby comes out dead...well...we can just try again next year, right OP? So no need to stress at all.

Last edited:
Ehhh, can't blame others for stressing. I, myself am a walking anxiety casserole.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew Once was making some faulty declaration... As usual.

Again, I haven't posted since you've been a member until now. Thanks

i <3 reading sdn on breaks! people r awesome

Again, I haven't posted since you've been a member until now. Thanks

Post history....it's not like things people said in the past gets buried forever. People who do searches for questions can stumble upon your topics too ;)

Post history....it's not like things people said in the past gets buried forever. People who do searches for questions can stumble upon your topics too ;)

I liked the part where she was studying for the MCAT two years in advance. :lol: But no, us folks in the panic thread are WAY too neurotic for her taste.

Last edited:
I liked the part where she was studying for the MCAT two years in advance. :lol: But no, us folks in the panic thread are WAY to neurotic for her taste.

I also like her idea of a premed.documentary. We should make one and discuss our neuroticism in application process. A premed fireside chat?

Why freak out if you don't get in?

Answer: $$$$$$$$$$$$ App fees.

The application fees are a small price relative to the price of traveling to the interviews or paying for the tuition of premed classes. Is the application a gamble? Is the applicant a gambler?

What sort of answer are you expecting? That we're imperfect beings and are susceptible to feelings of anxiety?

Have you ever been on a first date and wondered how it went afterwards? People naturally worry and pay more attention to things they care about. Call it evolution, intelligent design, or whatever you want. That's just the way we are.

There's no point in pretending that you feel no stress or anxiety after hitting that submit button or walking out of an interview at your top choice school (assuming you've done those things), because that would be nothing short of a lie.