SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Why get married?

Discussion in 'Women in Healthcare' started by shmrshines, Apr 11, 2008.

1. a1pv74all

Jul 10, 2012
    I have been thinking about it lately, but school and work take up all my time, so it is hard to imagine trying to find time for a spouse.

I guess later in life, marriage provides a level of security and stability, and I think it makes for a better environment for raising kids.

Kids we can then subject to medical school so they can wonder where all their time goes...
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dragonfly99

dragonfly99 5+ Year Member

May 15, 2008
    Be careful about letting med school take and/or residency take up all your time though. I know ppl say that, but it's kind of can eat your life.
  4. pdxhopeful

pdxhopeful 5+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2009
    I don't see myself ever getting married because I have no practical reasons to do so (no kids, my life is stable in all aspects) and while I have seen happy marriages I have yet to see one in 30 years on the planet I think would make me happy. Why would I do something that won't increase my happiness and would therefore quite possibly lead me to negatively impact someone else's?
    Zline and DrMason like this.
  5. ferning

ferning SDN Lifetime Donor Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Save on hookers
  6. Chimichica

Chimichica Sweet brutality, of course! 2+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hello, staying with someone has nothing to do with being married. Being a good parent/father/mother has nothing to do with being married. We all know of those couples who "stay together for the kids" and it ruins everyones lives...the kids can feel the tension and the resentment. (they are sentient beings afterall). and we know of the couple that was together for like 20 yrs but got married and split up a year later. Logically and practically if your relationship is strong and you are committed to that person, religious ceremopnies dont mean squat. If you want to call your boyfriend of 7 yrs your husband. Go ahead. Want a ring, get one. want a ceremony to celebrate your it! But legal marriage just isnt as beneficial for the non-religious anymore...except for that tax credit. But other than that. Marriage is based on the foundation of commitment and faith in one another. No piece of paper is going to hold you together. But divorce costs WILL keep you wondering in it longer. (unless your lives are simple i.e. no kids, no assests).
    Zline likes this.
  7. Evisju7

Evisju7 2+ Year Member

Feb 3, 2014
    too much to read.
    1) Two incomes, one home
    2) Great environment to raise kids in
    3) gives you more extended family (may be a bad thing too)
    4) gives you someone to confide in; a friend and much more
    There are also some financial benefits that I'm not well versed on.

"Partners in crime" That's my motto married couples
    nih15hopeful and Chimichica like this.
  8. starkinthemidwest

Apr 3, 2015
    my wife's cute and it's legal in our state
  9. LizLemongrab

LizLemongrab One Million Years Fun-geon! 2+ Year Member

Feb 3, 2014
    Outside of tradition and religion, there are some practical reasons like tax brackets and if you're military there's BAH, healthcare, not having to live in the barracks, and someone to come home to. I think over 90% of E1-E4 are married with a greater than 2% attrition rate per year (I don't recall precise numbers). There are also certain benefits that come from situations like marrying the daughter of a general and superintendent of your alma mater.

I'm not really for or against marriage per se, but it is incentivized in our society. You get a veneer of respectability, social acceptance from strangers, friends, and family, the appearance that you are desirable and get promoted from "when are you gonna get married" to "how many are you guys going to have?" which may become either "why not, I think you two would make excellent parents", "why only one? won't it get lonely?", and after 3 or 4 people start giving unsolicited family planning and financial advice.
  10. RuralMedicine

RuralMedicine Senior Member Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2003
    The tax brackets don't really favor marriage if both spouses have decent incomes. My husband and I would both pay much less in taxes if we weren't married to each other. Our combined incomes push us into that higher tax bracket, cause us to pay additional medicare taxes, and add a surtax on our investment income. Several years we've been subject to AMT which neither of us were paying in the past. In spite of that, he's a good guy, so I'm not exactly planning to divorce him so I can send less money to the IRS.
  11. DrMason

DrMason Banned Banned

Feb 17, 2016
    LOO, mine too. She is even a physician.

A great upgrade..
  12. LisaOrourke

Mar 5, 2018
    Thanks for sharing your different views on getting married.
  13. nih15hopeful

nih15hopeful 2+ Year Member

Mar 4, 2015