Can I still get into Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheMermaidBabe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was enrolled into my prerequisites while in college and I had a lot of life events and health concerns that almost lead me to flunk out of school so my GPA fell to the floor, so I finished college doing business and Spanish so I can hurry up & graduate, I was depending on my parents and low on money. I am in a much better place now graduated and working AT a med school & I want to go back and get those prerequisites and apply for med school to be a dermatologist. Do you think they'll take my grades from that horrible semester too far in consideration even though I would go back and make good grades now?

Members don't see this ad.

ALL grades will be considered when you apply to med school. But there have been people who have gained admissions after terrible grades with a LOT of consistent great academic work (read mostly A's), good MCAT scores, and other solid application credentials.

I was enrolled into my prerequisites while in college and I had a lot of life events and health concerns that almost lead me to flunk out of school so my GPA fell to the floor, so I finished college doing business and Spanish so I can hurry up & graduate, I was depending on my parents and low on money. I am in a much better place now graduated and working AT a med school & I want to go back and get those prerequisites and apply for med school to be a dermatologist. Do you think they'll take my grades from that horrible semester too far in consideration even though I would go back and make good grades now?

If you are a non white female applicant with a tough sounding story, you should have a good shot.

Medical schools love the stories of these types and will overlook GPA or MCAT scores. I have seen plenty of minority female applicants get into med school with a 23 MCAT score (average was 30) without an issue.

I wouldn't worry about it much. Just study hard for the MCAT with Kaplan and redo some classes with prereqs. You should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a non white female applicant with a tough sounding story, you should have a good shot.

Medical schools love the stories of these types and will overlook GPA or MCAT scores. I have seen plenty of minority female applicants get into med school with a 23 MCAT score (average was 30) without an issue.

I wouldn't worry about it much. Just study hard for the MCAT with Kaplan and redo some classes with prereqs. You should be fine.

Do you have more than one anecdote supporting this? I've known URMs with low marks and URMs with competitive marks; and admissions worked out the way you'd imagine for the overrepresented majority. Reassurance like this always sounds a bit something... I mean #sorrynotsorry

Dreams can still come true. I left home at age 18, sailed through undergrad. did a year of research with a genetics lab working on alzheimers disease. went in the peace corps. came back to med school. got HAZED, acade4mically gang raped, entrapped. booted from a US school to a caribbean school. rose to the occasion in clinicals; only to lose a home in katrina, get smacked by Gustav, and have both parents chronically ill. I let Step1 expire, thought my career was over and have now been granted a waiver to relicense. There is HOPE. Hang onto what you have achieved. Keep it close and use it in appeals and everywhere. I believe dreams can still come true.

The original "data" page is missing from aamc's website...

Yeah wonder why the "data is missing now"?

Hmm maybe the AAMC is a little afraid of the implications and have shut it down after these type of articles were published?

Nah couldn't be right?

I mean its not like feminists wouldn't be angry about articles showing women are admitted with lower MCAT scores on average to be openly discussed?

Please show me where the AAMC "data" is on the subject then. Surely, in the interests of transparency, the data should be out there with ease.