Why go to the best schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My sister is a fellow at Brigham, and she knows of a woman who graduated Harvard College, Harvard Med.... and didn't get a residency placement at all.

Members don't see this ad.

To be completely honest here and although the match is still a little over a week away, I would say that you will have a slight advantage at getting the residency that you want if you go to a known medical school. However, as everything in life, a huge factor in getting a certain residency is the networking you do while in medical school. If you're from an unknown school, you still have a great chance at getting any residency that you want if you get to know the right people and do a rotation there. There are a lot of politics involved.

Go to the place where you would be the happiest and you will have a much easier time getting into a residency in the same state or institution where you go to medical school. No matter what school you go to, if you work very hard you will be trained extremely well.

Try to remember this debate when you're a few years into medical school and you'll just smile and realize how much it really didn't matter what school you went to, even though you'll be in love with the school you did attend.

There's plenty of residency slots available, even if you failed both steps 3 times, barely pass medical school you'll get a residency (maybe not where you want, or in the specialty you want). Additionally, there aren't really a lot of "bad" residencies anyways. Usually the most undesirable programs are the ones in cities that no one wants to live in and at hospitals where the residents do more "scut" work.

If you look at the match statistics as a whole, nearly 70% of 4th year medical students get their 1st choice and 85% will get one of their top three.

Be happy to get in and have an opportunity to practice in an incredible profession.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Jessica:

Yes, I did apply disadvantaged (financially), but I think that the interviews/
acceptances I have are because of my merits and my life experiences, not the fact that I have a dirt poor family (not to mention that I am one of the few who finished high school and the first in my entire, extended family to go to college.) I have an excellent academic record, a ton of volunteer work, leadership experience (founded a chapter of AMSA at our school), state level awards (was selected out of over 370K students attending the CSUs for an achievement award), and I was in nursing school before, so I have almost 4 years of clinical experience, including direct patient care. I don't think that I got noticed because of any pity parties for my "disadvantaged" status, and if someone applies disadvantaged and it helps their cause, more power to them. I almost wish I didn't apply disadantaged just so I wouldn't feel the NEED to explain my personal circumstances to someone who thinks disadvantaged means someone is going to stamp accepted on your app "just because."

•••••Jessica, I hope my post wasn't insulting to you. I certainly didn't intend to offend you (sadly, I think I did). As I stated in my post, you are a stellar applicant...no question about it.
I do, however, think that you underestimate the importance of applying disadvantaged. Look around on this board. There are individuals with stats and personal accomplishments very similar to your own who have not had nearly the same response from medical schools that you have had. Now, once again, I'm not questioning your credentials--you are worthy of these opportunities. But I think you should be realistic--applying disadvantaged pushed you over the top. Take a person from Cal State with your amazing stats and throw her into a pool with individuals from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. with similar stats, and I do believe the person attending Cal State will be at a disadvantage (assuming they don't apply disadvantaged :) ).

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree ChadS. Applying as disadvantaged does push you a little bit to the top. My friend's cousin received secondaries from all of the schools she applied to (yes, that includes Stanford and UCSF). I assume by now that she got interviews to some of them too. She has a ~3.4 GPA and 26 on the MCAT. So you see, applying as disadvantaged does help. But you have to be careful because don't just apply as disadvantaged because you think it's going to help you get in. If you come from an affluent background with no social or economic hurdles whatsoever, then don't even bother because they will see right through you.

baylor21 -- I know the point you were trying to make with your analogy, but you didn't pick the right schools -- Harvard Med & Baylor Med are both ranked in the top 15; Harvard and Baylor University -- kind of a more extreme difference in "ranking" -- I don't even think that Baylor University is ranked. Not to mention, Baylor College of Med and Baylor University ARE NOT AFFILIATED WITH ONE ANOTHER. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I just get sort of annoyed when people hear "Baylor" and assume that I go to a Christian med school in Waco. :rolleyes:

I think the point that has been made on here about going to the best school THAT YOU LIKE makes the most sense. Don't pick a school solely on ranking -- if you like a lower-ranked school much better, go with the lower-ranked school because you will probably be happier there and as a function, perform better. But, if you are pretty happy with two schools, and many other factors are equal, it is probably most wise to go with the "better" school -- the one that will provide you with the most opportunities to excel in your future field of choice. Assuming all other factors are equivalent, if you are in the middle of your class at a "top 5" school, or middle of your class at an unranked school, you will have a better chance at getting the residency of your choice from the "top 5" school. That's not to say that people don't succeed coming from unranked or lower med schools -- it happens all the time. However, those people are generally very driven and intelligent people to begin with -- they probably would have done well no matter what the school.

Ya know, I'm not gonna get into this whole "why go to the best school" debate. I'm just here to defend my girl Jessica. Damn people, look at all the stuff she has accomplished! Say what you want about her school, whatever, it's all relative. Look at her healthcare experience. Look at her extracurriculars. Look at her volunteer work and life experiences. And most of all, for those of you who are knocking her, take a good LONG LOOK at that freaking MCAT score! 37!!!!!! Ok, if I'm sitting on an Adcom, that 37 validates ANY questions regarding her GPA or her ability to handle the rigors of medical school. Personally, as someone who was given a hell of a lot more opportunities growing up than she was apparently, I have no doubt she's going to go twice as far as me. Cause she has drive! She applied as a disadvantaged applicant, so what? It's not like she lied! None of us control how much money our families earn. Back up off her, ok?. Jessica, if I was even half as smart or driven as you are, maybe we could be classmates. Don't think it's gonna happen. Rest assured though that wherever you decide to attend, it's because you deserved it, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Good luck!

jessica!
when i met you at jhu, i had NO clue about all the amazing things you've done! now that i do, i think you're AWESOME! :D
and i hope we both get into jhu so that we can be classmates! :clap:

ChadS, I'm not sure how you can make these blanket statements about disadvantaged status helping people...let alone how can you say them with regard to a specific applicant such as Jessica? You say there are a lot of people with her stats. I get that. But even from what she's told us so far, her accomplishments, academic record, and REAL medical experience are a rare combination. As far as her disadvantaged status "pushing her over the top," I just don't see it that way, and I think that statement is way out of line especially when you don't know her that well. I mean, come on, are you trying to diminish what she has done?

Anyway, I had to regulate here. Jessica, you know I got your back.

very well-put, jessica. thanks for reminding us all that happiness should be the number-one factor in choosing a school. it's very true that you will probably fare much better during med school if you're happy, regardless of where you are. good luck to you--your story is definitely inspiring!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by LizardKing:
•ChadS, I'm not sure how you can make these blanket statements about disadvantaged status helping people...let alone how can you say them with regard to a specific applicant such as Jessica? You say there are a lot of people with her stats. I get that. But even from what she's told us so far, her accomplishments, academic record, and REAL medical experience are a rare combination. As far as her disadvantaged status "pushing her over the top," I just don't see it that way, and I think that statement is way out of line especially when you don't know her that well. I mean, come on, are you trying to diminish what she has done?

Anyway, I had to regulate here. Jessica, you know I got your back.•••••Guys, I'm not trying to diminish Jessica's accomplishments. I think she is an amazing applicant. I never said that A LOT of people could match her stats and personal accomplishments. I do believe, however (this is based on the people I have met at interviews and at school), that there are people with stats similar to her own who have not had the same response from medical schools. I think you underestimate the calibur of the students applying to top-10 medical schools. You're talking about people with 40+ MCATs, research experience, volunteer work, etc. etc. etc. I met a girl at Washington U who worked in Ben Carson's lab! When I said that applying disadvantaged pushed her over the top, I wasn't questioning her abilities. All I'm saying is that it gives her an advantage when compared to equally qualified applicants at these top schools. Do I agree with that slight advantage? Yes. To accomplish what she has accomplished in the context of being dirt poor should be taken into account.

The intent of my post was never to question Jessica's abilities. I was trying to respond, apparently unsuccessfully, to the contention that it doesn't matter where you receive your undergrad or medical education. I just don't believe Jessica can be used in this case (as Scooby Doo suggested) because she has the added dimension of applying disadvantaged.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by ChadS:
Jessica, I hope my post wasn't insulting to you. I certainly didn't intend to offend you (sadly, I think I did). As I stated in my post, you are a stellar applicant...no question about it.
I do, however, think that you underestimate the importance of applying disadvantaged. Look around on this board. There are individuals with stats and personal accomplishments very similar to your own who have not had nearly the same response from medical schools that you have had. Now, once again, I'm not questioning your credentials--you are worthy of these opportunities. But I think you should be realistic--applying disadvantaged pushed you over the top. Take a person from Cal State with your amazing stats and throw her into a pool with individuals from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. with similar stats, and I do believe the person attending Cal State will be at a disadvantage (assuming they don't apply disadvantaged :) ).••••ChadS - no offense taken, but I still don't agree that applying disadvantaged is some kind of free ticket to be exchanged for an acceptance. Maybe it does help, but the situation is more dynamic than what you are reducing it to in your argument.... a lot more goes into considering whether or not to interview/accept someone than their disadvantaged status or their stats... that is where rec letters and your personal statements come in. I am sure that there are many people with stellar stats who don't get interviews becuase they come off as not having a personality, or they are overzealous about their accomplishments.

I am not attacking you personally, it is just difficult to discern where people are coming from without face-to-face interaction.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by vkrn:
•My sister is a fellow at Brigham, and she knows of a woman who graduated Harvard College, Harvard Med.... and didn't get a residency placement at all.•••••Well she has to apply ya know :)

Who cares? it was her own fault. maybe she only applied to top top residencies...that much inbreeding maybe made her feel like she was the $hit!