why hate USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaddenPro

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so since most of you that think you're gonna specialize are gonna be general practicioners anyway, why do you all care what kind of board exams scores USC gets anway, even though they advertise they've gotten an 85 or something of that sort for last year. It all depends on the person, either you want to do well and will, or you won't. So back to my point, since most are gonna be general practicioners, wouldn't it make sense to go to a strong clinical school, and wouldn't that be USC, over UCLA and over UCSF, and Penn, etc. I mean, it only makes sense, the more time you spend away from the books and invest it on the actual practice, the more experience and better dentist you're gonna be. Looks like USC is worth it's money if you wanna be a good dentist when you graduate, and according to the reasons of most applicants, you know...the ones that "want to make a difference in a patient's life by being a good dentist", then you can't argue it's not worth the money.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok why hate USC?

Well it does cost over 55 a year just in tuition money (add 10 grand for instrument and misc. things and another 20 for the cost of living)

Secondly the all pbl probably throws off alot of good old conservative students

But I agree the patient pool is as good as it gets in the country probably only matched by Temple and UMDNJ since those two are also located in the ghetto. I do no think USC would produce a bad dentist. The question is whether it's the right place for you.

I don't think people HATE USC.
It is just that they prefer some other schools rather than USC.
The reason being, not because it is a bad school,
but because of its whole PBL system, one of the most expensive school in the nation, and large class size compared to UCLA or UCSF (that you mentioned).

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree. people would just rather go to OTHER schools where students seem happier or more proud etc etc.

OK, so since most of you that think you're gonna specialize are gonna be general practicioners anyway, why do you all care what kind of board exams scores USC gets anway, even though they advertise they've gotten an 85 or something of that sort for last year. It all depends on the person, either you want to do well and will, or you won't. So back to my point, since most are gonna be general practicioners, wouldn't it make sense to go to a strong clinical school, and wouldn't that be USC, over UCLA and over UCSF, and Penn, etc. I mean, it only makes sense, the more time you spend away from the books and invest it on the actual practice, the more experience and better dentist you're gonna be. Looks like USC is worth it's money if you wanna be a good dentist when you graduate, and according to the reasons of most applicants, you know...the ones that "want to make a difference in a patient's life by being a good dentist", then you can't argue it's not worth the money.

I don't hate SC. I was just disappointed at the interview. It dropped from my 3rd choice (after the UC's) to the bottom of my wish list, because the students there told me not to go there unless it's the only school I get in :eek: . I had been to several interviews, and no student from any other school ever said the same thing.

Oh and the rumor about its students' low rate of passing the board, too: clinically strong or not, I still want to (and have to) pass the board or else i will never be able to apply my clinical skills, right? :rolleyes: Thus I would pick UCLA, UCSF, or PENN over SC. At least the students like it at these schools!

Oh and the rumor about its students' low rate of passing the board, too: clinically strong or not, I still want to (and have to) pass the board or else i will never be able to apply my clinical skills, right? :rolleyes: Thus I would pick UCLA, UCSF, or PENN over SC. At least the students like it at these schools!

I assure you, you will pass.

PBL really isn't that big a deal, again, it's just up to you if you want to do the work or not. I hear USC has 3 days a week of school in the first year, well you can study up on all the other realms of the case yourself on the other 2-4 days you have free, which is what most students at other schools do, it's no secret...the more you study the better you'll do, but my problem with UCLA/UCSF is most of what they do is study, and I hear that even though students are successful, they are slow out of school. The reason I'm excited about getting away from my undergrad is so I won't have to study as much as I have been and actually start doing hands-on things.

So you guys agree...clinically, USC is stronger than UCLA/UCSF? which really should stop all the bashing that is out there about this school not being worthy, etc etc

PBL really isn't that big a deal, again, it's just up to you if you want to do the work or not. I hear USC has 3 days a week of school in the first year, well you can study up on all the other realms of the case yourself on the other 2-4 days you have free, which is what most students at other schools do, it's no secret...the more you study the better you'll do, but my problem with UCLA/UCSF is most of what they do is study, and I hear that even though students are successful, they are slow out of school. The reason I'm excited about getting away from my undergrad is so I won't have to study as much as I have been and actually start doing hands-on things.

So you guys agree...clinically, USC is stronger than UCLA/UCSF? which really should stop all the bashing that is out there about this school not being worthy, etc etc

I have friends attending usc dental, and I do believe that people who work hard can success anywhere they attend. Therefore I never think of usc as a totally unworthy school and all its students are unworthy. It just seems to me like there are many things the school could improve but it's not trying hard enough.

I don't mind studying hard in dental school, because I think college did not teach me enough to make me a knowledgeable dentist. dentists aren't technicians. I'd think knowledge and skills are equally important to a dentist. don't doctors owe their patients to learn as much as they can?

I am not sure if I agree USC is clinically stronger than the UC's or any other school. There is no way to compare anyway. I know dentists who graduated from UCLA as well as USC, and both are great dentists. If you like USC and think it suits you, just ignore people's opinion on SDN and go there. After all, this is just an internet forum. It is up to you to decide how much you want to care about the opinions posted here.

there are a few important things about dental school, and thats graduating, and passing boards, and if USC doesnt do these, then its not a good school.

there are a few important things about dental school, and thats graduating, and passing boards, and if USC doesnt do these, then its not a good school.

I would dispute that there is definitely more to a dental school...and sometimes more important things...than percentages. still, USC is simply not a choice school for people and they express that. I'm afraid the OP will simply have to get used to this fact. A thread on SDN will not change USC's image in the heads of any or most of the people who read this thread...

Just look at how many threads there are about people not asking the same 10questions on here over and over.

How many threads they are about whether 3.8 is a decent GPA

How many threads asking if July or June, or May, or October, or Jan or Feb is too late

How many threads there are asking about the last possible day to have an interview

How many thread there are about full schools

And how many threads there are about NOT POSTING ANY MORE OF THESE TYPE OF THREADS

Sorry, the USC bash will continue until something about USC changes and that info filters to the SDN students. So far, you've offered no new perspective on the school that would change an opinion of it.

If even 50% of the rumors are true of USC, I am not about to spend 4 years of life, and debt up my ass to try it out. That's all. I know rumors are exaggeration, but it is exaggerating something that exist...just my 2 cents.

to answer your question:

what if you change your mind sometime along the road and want to do specialty? then wouldn't you need the scores and everything?

I heard that 1/3 of the class failed the national boards the first time they took it (last year?). i dont know if it is true thu.

yes, usc is expensive but if i know some LA people who are killing themselves to get into ucla or usc b/c they dont want to leave LA. after living here for many years, i could never figure out what is so special this city. (unless you are living in a mansion in beverly hills)