Why have I not been rejected yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purduephigam

SuPurdueper Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds rediculous, but I'm seriously wondering.

Last year when I applied with a 3.1 gpa and a 17/17/20 DAT. I was rejected faster than I could say the word. Given some schools I just didn't have a chance at no matter what, but other private schools rejected me pretty quick (even had AADSAS app out in June). Obviously these stats almost immediately eliminate me from being competitive. This is not my concern.

This year, I got my application out a little later (July) because I wanted to finalize my research job I got during the summer. Once that was done, I submitted my application, new letters, new gpa of a 3.22, and same dat score. Still nothing special. Really the only changes were: a great senior year in grades (all BCP upper level courses), semester and academic honors, my research job, and the plan to take upper level courses at a graduate institution. I intended to retake my dat in August, but when the time rolled around I just wasn't prepared. I ended up taking it Oct. 9th and had my new scores submitted immediately (19/20/22). Still nothing that special, and it'll probably be some time before they get the official scores. I did send my schools an e-mail saying that they should be receiving the official scores soon (basically saying don't send that bad letter just yet).

Anyways, other than my schools saying that my application is complete I haven't heard anything from anyone accept from one of my state schools saying I just retake the DAT. My question is, am I in a holding stage? Do they find me a tad more appealing because I am a reapplicant and am taking more upper level courses? Or is this just there way of shoving me aside until they fill their class? Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

maybe they are hoping to get another app fee outta u.. but seriously, if u havent heard from them yet that could be a really good thing... all u can do now is worry and wait...

if you havent heard its probably because you just retook your DAT, finalizing your app if you indicated on it that you were planning on retaking it. dont lose hope, it sounds like you really improved over the past year. a 17->19 makes a big difference when looking at the app and increasing your gpa by taking upper level courses isnt easy. hopefully you'll hear some good news soon, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Really the only changes were: a great senior year in grades (all BCP upper level courses), semester and academic honors, my research job, and the plan to take upper level courses at a graduate institution....ended up taking the DAT Oct. 9th and had my new scores submitted immediately (19/20/22)

Thats a pretty good change. Shows you stepped it up a notch, and schools probably took it into consideration. Enjoy not having rejections, very well could be a good sign like stosh said

Sounds rediculous, but I'm seriously wondering.

Last year when I applied with a 3.1 gpa and a 17/17/20 DAT. I was rejected faster than I could say the word. Given some schools I just didn't have a chance at no matter what, but other private schools rejected me pretty quick (even had AADSAS app out in June). Obviously these stats almost immediately eliminate me from being competitive. This is not my concern.

This year, I got my application out a little later (July) because I wanted to finalize my research job I got during the summer. Once that was done, I submitted my application, new letters, new gpa of a 3.22, and same dat score. Still nothing special. Really the only changes were: a great senior year in grades (all BCP upper level courses), semester and academic honors, my research job, and the plan to take upper level courses at a graduate institution. I intended to retake my dat in August, but when the time rolled around I just wasn't prepared. I ended up taking it Oct. 9th and had my new scores submitted immediately (19/20/22). Still nothing that special, and it'll probably be some time before they get the official scores. I did send my schools an e-mail saying that they should be receiving the official scores soon (basically saying don't send that bad letter just yet).

Anyways, other than my schools saying that my application is complete I haven't heard anything from anyone accept from one of my state schools saying I just retake the DAT. My question is, am I in a holding stage? Do they find me a tad more appealing because I am a reapplicant and am taking more upper level courses? Or is this just there way of shoving me aside until they fill their class? Your thoughts?

I think you will definitely be viewed in a more positive light this second time around than the first because A) you showed commitment to the profession by trying again and B) your GPA and DAT improved. It may seem like you're being put on "hold" (no interview invites yet) because your most recent DAT was taken a bit later. That, and the applicant pool is just getting so much more competitive, that adcoms are forced to give the earliest invites to those with the ridiculous credentials first. However, it's still too early to start worrying. I know the waiting game is nerve-wracking, but hopefully you maximized your chances by applying to enough schools. Good luck! :luck:

Your DAT scores made a big improvement i don't know what you're talking about. 19-20 is equal to or above the avg. entering class scores for almost any school. You should be fine...if you haven't gotten an interview from schools yet, I think you will eventually. Did you apply to NYU/USC/Case/Nova?

dont worry dood. rejections are on the way!

Did you apply to NYU/USC/Case/Nova?

I applied to Nova, but none of the others. I thought it might be too late to send my materials to NYU and USC. I'm not sure if it would be worth it at this stage.

you asked, i was just giving an honest opinion