Why I am frustrated with big schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tobtolip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sigh, so I emailed my professor to ask if I could meet with him so he could clarify some concepts for me, he emailed me back and said I should come during office hours. Unfortunately, he has only 1 office HOUR a week, and I have class during that time. I explained this to him, and he suggested I go to the TA's office hour, unfortunately, I have class during their OFFICE HOUR as well. I then emailed back to tell him that I understand he's busy, and that I'd be wiling to meet him at any convenient date (it didnt have to be next week). So he suggested I just ask him the questions after class, and I told him that I have a class after his lecture (cell biology), and the type of questions I need clarified is where I need to sit down and get with someone for about an hour to get answered.

Sigh, I understand that the faculty is very busy, but I feel like I'm just being shirked between people when I need help. Any suggestions on how I can get some help understanding course material?

Tob

Members don't see this ad.

Go to other professors within the same department to see if they can help you. Also go to the library and check in other textbooks to see if there is some clarification on the concepts. Check on the internet to see if you can help clear things up. Ask folks here...there are a lot know people knowledgeable in all sorts of areas on SDN. Good luck...

Yea, unfortunately, the questions that I have involved my computer science courses (not many of those even on SDN), and its hard to explain via chat, you need to sit in front of a computer and show output and change things little by little to help explain...

As for the other professors, what I encountered was that I should direct my questions to my professor (we have a small cs department here) only.

So once again I'm stuck with this dilemma (I dont mind trying to figure the solutions to these answers on my own, but what about later on in the course?) professors shirk me off to TA's, Can't go to TA's office hours, TA's say they are too busy to provide help beyong their hours... whats a guy to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Tobtolip:
•... whats a guy to do?•••••They best that they are able...nobody can expect more...

It happens at small schools as well.

Suck it up. If he is unavilble to his students take it to the Dean. Ask for help from other students, be late to a class, arrive early to class and ask before class, follow him to his next class (i've done that before to get a few concepts covered). There are so many other ideas out there.