Why I Finally Chose to Quit Pursuing Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rustie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Redacted] Medicine is not a bad field in and of itself, but because of how medicine is changing, and how medicine isn't changing, there are a lot of problems with the field.. If you feel the need to comment on this post to reassure yourself that the decision to pursue medicine is the "right" endeavor for you, feel free. I understand: I did the same thing for many years. In fact, I'm not even writing this to dissuade aspiring doctors. I'm writing this just to get my voice out there.

Ever since I was a young child, I wanted to become a doctor. The field itself was very intriguing to me, and the prestige and money that "seemed" to accompany medicine acted as a snare as well. All throughout high school, medicine seemed like the only option for me. I did well in school and on standardized tests, and many of my superiors saw me as a practical and mature thinker.

Fast forward to this past August. I was frequenting SDN, and I was preparing for my first year of college. It was an exciting time, filled with the anticipation for opportunity. Given the amount of work that lied ahead for my pre-med self, I wanted to make sure that I knew everything that I needed to know by listening to members of this site, as well as doctors, residents, and members of medical academia on other sites.

This "research" of mine had an unexpected effect.

Countless members spoke of their rejections. Countless threads mentioned doctors who regretted pursuing a degree in medicine. Countless residents complained of their horrid hours and even worse social lives. On other websites, broader topics such as divorce rates and the effects of legislation (specifically Obamacare) were discussed. And of course, everything made medicine appear less and less appealing.

I wasn't going to quit though. Medicine was surely still the best option for me. I never dreamed of a future where the title of "doctor" didn't precede my last name.

A buddy of mine who was going into actuarial science started talking to me about his college plans. Not once did he try to persuade me against medicine, but what he said was incredibly influential.

He was going to a good school that wasn't very expensive. As an actuary, he would walk into a field that required nothing more than a bachelor's degree. I accompanied him when he met with his advisor before he year started (which I was surprised the advisor let me do), and that is when everything changed. The advisor, an 30-something-year-old, had been in the field of actuarial science for over ten years. He joined academia to get his summers off and longer breaks to spend with his children. But what did he say?

By the time many of that college's graduates turned 28, they were making nearly six figures.
After several years with a company, many of the graduates had a work-from-home day each week. Maybe even two.
The hours? 8-4:30 initially. Eventually the time spend at work would decrease to maybe 9-4:30 as the worker proved their capabilities.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the expected job growth for actuaries was 26%.

I was shocked. "How could a four-year degree offer such a fantastic salary, lifestyle, and job growth?" That is a question I asked myself, and continued to ask myself long after the meeting ended.

No, this is not my plug for actuarial science. This is my plug against medicine. (Although actuarial science is indeed a fantastic field.)

Lifestyle

I don't feel like explaining this. You all know what I'm talking about, you're knowledgable on this subject. The best explanation I can offer is through this link. If you pay attention to anything in this thread, please pay attention to this link.

Debt, Salary, and Legislation

All of you know that debt sucks, and doctors have a lot of it. I'm not going to re-explain what all of you (should) already know. Salary and legislation on the other: How many of you realize that reimbursement for doctors is on the decline? How many of you know that in states like Minnesota, access to specialized doctors is being limited to a certain number of visits per year? Simple economics says that if you have less clients, you will receive less money. Hospitals won't be able to afford the large salaries of specialized physicians when the services of the physicians aren't being paid for as they were before.

Couple that with the increasing cost of schooling and you get a profession where the graduates end up in a very regrettable field.

The Result of Your Life

At age 22, my friend will end his schooling with a grand total of <$25k in debt. He will start anywhere between $50k and $65k, and in just a few years be making nearly $100k. If I stayed on the medical path? I would potentially be in medical school, indirectly making myself an indentured servant to the big banks of America. If I wasn't so lucky? I would become one of the 57% who didn't make it into medical school, effectively wasting my undergrad years, slaving away at shadowing, volunteering, incredibly difficult courses, and whatever else that could make me a good applicant.

At age 28, my friend was modest and fiscally responsible, he could be debt free. If not, he would have very little left to pay. Oh, and the company he's working at? Yeah, he's taken actuarial exams that have increased his pay by nearly double. His work has been stressful at times -- just like any profession -- but he's a lot less stressed than me, who is now worked 60-80 hours per week in a residency.

At age 34, I'm finally a licensed independent doctor. I'm freeeee- oh wait. No I'm not. I'm not even a little. I have roughly $200,000 in debt, and I'm still working arduous hours. My (dingus) friend? He's worked his way up in the company, or maybe he's found a better position and another company. He's making half as much as me. Ha! But wait -- he's been debt free for years, and he's able to focus on other things, like his 401k, retirement, and his house.

You see, at age 25, my buddy would be going out to the bars and getting nice dinners with dates and friends and coworkers. He would be living up his 20's in a STEM profession (mathematics, specifically) that is netting him an above-average salary that's increasing every year.

Reset. I'm 18 years old and just starting college.

Do I want to wait until I'm in my 30's to begin my life? Do I want to wait fifteen years to join a field that may or may not be what I expected? Do I want to put myself into such unforgivable debt that it won't be until my 40's that I will be free, yet in a field that may be declining in reimbursement and still hard hours?

No. I do not. I do no want that at all.

Am I saying that you should get a job as an actuary? Hell no. If that's not what you want, then don't do it. It's just an example. What I am saying? Take it from the guy in that link: Medicine probably isn't going to end up being the ideal profession you expect it to be. There are a lot of better alternatives.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Good for you! One of the worst things I see posted here on SDN is people who get into medical school or even graduate from medical school only to find out that they hate it, it wasn't what they expected, wish they had done something else, etc. You should be happy to have found out medicine isn't for you, especially as early as you have.

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't read that enormous stream of consciousness but I did see that you think in a few short years you will be making $100k.

Goodluck

Reactions: 21 users
It's good you figured it out sooner rather than later. Medicine isn't for everyone.

Reactions: 8 users
I didn't read that enormous stream of consciousness but I did see that you think in a few short years you will be making $100k.

Goodluck

I don't believe that I will for surely be making $100k six years after graduation. I do believe that there are better options than medicine if you want a job with a good lifestyle and good salary.

I don't believe that I will for surely be making $100k six years after graduation. I do believe that there are better options than medicine if you want a job with a good lifestyle and good salary.

I'm not going to argue that, but if you think you are going to be making above average money without above average commitment, work ethic, intelligence, etc you're in for a surprise.

Medicine isn't something to go in to for the money and it's good that you found that out before heading into debt and wasting your time, so good for you

Reactions: 5 users
You could always go into med for the ROAD to happiness. Plenty of people would rather be a derm in southern california than an actuary anywhere ;)

You could always go into med for the ROAD to happiness. Plenty of people would rather be a derm in southern california than an actuary anywhere ;)

I wonder why you are on probationary status... oh wait no I don't.

Reactions: 2 users
THE ONE AND ONLY REASON WHY YOU SHOULD GO INTO MEDICINE:

You can only derive professional fulfillment in life by taking care of sick people.
There’s really no other reason, and lord knows the world needs docs. Prestige, money, job security, making mom happy, proving something, can’t think of anything else to do, better than being a lawyer, etc are all incredibly bad reasons for becoming a doc.

But woe betide you if there’s anything else, anything at all, that would also give you that fulfillment. Because pursuit of medicine would preclude chasing down that other dream and a whole lot more – a dream that could be much bigger, much more spectacular, much more enriching for yourself and humanity than being a physician. Just ask John Keats, Walker Percy, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Giorgio Armani, or Michael Crichton (some of these guys being more alive than others these days).
Good advice. More people should pay attention to it.

Reactions: 1 users
I really really hope you're being sarcastic, for the sake of the patients of these future doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
That link is interesting - even eye opening. I hope it doesn't deter us pre-medical hopefuls, though. The road is long and hard but we'll make it through.

I wish you the best of luck! I can't help but to think... college freshman? Did your road to medicine ever start?

I wonder why you are on probationary status... oh wait no I don't.
I'm probate for telling off this conceited chemistry whiz

I really really hope you're being sarcastic, for the sake of the patients of these future doctors.

I'm not saying people should go into med for the wrong reasons, I'm saying that the sort of person who has to seriously weigh actuary vs MD may still choose the latter for the big $$ nice lifestyle specialties. If what you care about is work schedule, and making enough to take care of debt and still get that nice house and car, there are places in the world of medicine that may still be attractive.

Reactions: 6 users
lol at the fact that you have 59 likes on that. legendary and totally worth probate. :laugh:

Its going to be interesting to see how long he is able to stick around with this account. Definitely seems like he is at least interesting in his responses. So that is a plus in my book.

I think there are two main flaws in your story.
1) Most of what you know about medicine was read on the internet... so it sounds like you have little exposure to the realities (both good and bad) of medicine.
2) You assume a job at a top insurance firm for all graduating actuaries. I expect realistic salaries are more in the $45-65k range until you have 5-10 yrs experience... which, don't get me wrong, is pretty decent.

You're 18 and finishing your first semester of college. It's great that you have a plan and an idea of where to go, but many of us are 10+ years farther down the road than you are and have experience in multiple fields... So yes, there are good parts and bad parts to medicine, but thankfully the good outweighs the bad for a lot of us! I personally think medicine beats the hell out of sitting at a desk all day. :)

Reactions: 13 users
Its going to be interesting to see how long he is able to stick around with this account.
It's VERY easy to get probationary status on here.

lol at the fact that you have 59 likes on that. legendary and totally worth probate. :laugh:

What i really love is the OP telling someone "save [$20] for when you don't get into med school" and does he get probation? Nooooooo

Excellent moderating, really

Its going to be interesting to see how long he is able to stick around with this account. Definitely seems like he is at least interesting in his responses. So that is a plus in my book.

I'm the controversy fairy, expressing my honest opinions wherever I go

Reactions: 1 user
Nope and that's a great thing for everyone involved.

You are the type of person that I addressed early on in the original post. If the reasons you wanted to become a doctor were pure and noble, you wouldn't have felt the need to discredit me. You feel threatened by what I say, and rightly so.

A good portion of SDN members portray themselves as "highly altruistic" do-gooders who want to become doctors for the sole purpose of helping people. Whether those members are lying or telling the truth, that mindset is not very typical for all pre-med students. Most pre-med students have an interest in the field and in helping people, but they are highly motivated by the pay and supposed prestige of the work. That's why they want to become physicians, as opposed to PA's or nurses.

At the end of the day, if you are like me and wanted to become a doctor because you're interested in the field and the quality of pay, you are going to be a very sad person. Your hours are going to be long, and your pay is going to decline. The stress is going to be high, and your lifestyle is not going to be ideal.

If your only goal is to help people, then I admire you and wish you the best of luck. But my initial chuckle is absolutely valid if you think you're going to be pleased with the hours you work and the life that you've lived if your motivation for medicine was salary, prestige, and lifestyle.

Congrations! You've joined the >95% of premeds who change their mind about medicine or medical school. I'm surprised you think anyone cares.
Your story was so unique, maybe Lee will ask you to write an essay on it for SDN.

Reactions: 29 users
You are the type of person that I addressed early on in the original post. If the reasons you wanted to become a doctor were pure and noble, you wouldn't have felt the need to discredit me. You feel threatened by what I say, and rightly so.

A good portion of SDN members portray themselves as "highly altruistic" do-gooders who want to become doctors for the sole purpose of helping people. Whether those members are lying or telling the truth, that mindset is not very typical for all pre-med students. Most pre-med students have an interest in the field and in helping people, but they are highly motivated by the pay and supposed prestige of the work. That's why they want to become physicians, as opposed to PA's or nurses.

At the end of the day, if you are like me and wanted to become a doctor because you're interested in the field and the quality of pay, you are going to be a very sad person. Your hours are going to be long, and your pay is going to decline. The stress is going to be high, and your lifestyle is not going to be ideal.

If your only goal is to help people, then I admire you and wish you the best of luck. But my initial chuckle is absolutely valid if you think you're going to be pleased with the hours you work and the life that you've lived if your motivation for medicine was salary, prestige, and lifestyle.

I think you are reading more into my reply than you should. I am not faulting you at all, nor am I saying your reasons aren't valid. I'm simply being honest that it is a good thing for other people applying for medical school, for your future professors and for yourself that you realized early on that you really dont want to go into medicine. Also you should realize that some of us aren't 18 and going into our first year of college. Some of us are already done with college and spent nearly a decade working in healthcare. We are all on our own journey with our own wants and priorities.

Reactions: 3 users
The vast majority of premeds quit by the first year so nothing surprising here. Good thing you didn't invest more time and money into it.

Reactions: 6 users
I didn't realize that med students and residents weren't allowed to go on dates or have friends

Reactions: 23 users
I didn't realize that med students and residents weren't allowed to go on dates or have friends
Yeah didn't you know? Med school is a trade of 4 years of the prime of your life for nothing but misery and standardized exams

Sorry for all the stupid and childish responses you got from some members here.

Congrats in your career choice and best wishes.

I thought that it was common knowledge that med students and residents lacked both money and time. While the med student spends his weekends studying, and while the resident spends his weeks and/or weekends working, the actuary or investment banker is maintaining a good lifestyle with a good salary.

Again, I want to reemphasize what I send very early on in my post: Medicine is not a bad field, in and of itself. But if what you want out of your career is good money and a good lifestyle, medicine is not ideal. Sacrifice and debt is the name of the game in the medical world, and -- to tie that back together with your post -- that includes your twenties.

An excellent, well-written, well-informed and well-supported post.

Best wishes to you! Maybe look into dentistry as an option? :D

I chuckle as I begin writing this post. I laugh not because medicine is a bad field in and of itself, but rather because of how medicine is changing, and also because of how medicine isn't changing. If you feel the need to comment on this post to reassure yourself that the decision to pursue medicine is the "right" endeavor for you, feel free. I understand: I did the same thing for many years. In fact, I'm not even writing this to dissuade aspiring doctors. I'm writing this just to get my voice out there.

Ever since I was a young child, I wanted to become a doctor. The field itself was very intriguing to me, and the prestige and money that "seemed" to accompany medicine acted as a snare as well. All throughout high school, medicine seemed like the only option for me. I did well in school and on standardized tests, and many of my superiors saw me as a practical and mature thinker.

Fast forward to this past August. I was frequenting SDN, and I was preparing for my first year of college. It was an exciting time, filled with the anticipation for opportunity. Given the amount of work that lied ahead for my pre-med self, I wanted to make sure that I knew everything that I needed to know by listening to members of this site, as well as doctors, residents, and members of medical academia on other sites.

Countless members spoke of their rejections. Countless threads mentioned doctors who regretted pursuing a degree in medicine. Countless residents complained of their horrid hours and even worse social lives. On other websites, broader topics such as divorce rates and the effects of legislation (specifically Obamacare) were discussed. And of course, everything made medicine appear less and less appealing.

I wasn't going to quit though. Medicine was surely still the best option for me. I never dreamed of a future where the title of "doctor" didn't precede my last name.

A buddy of mine who was going into actuarial science started talking to me about his college plans. Not once did he try to persuade me against medicine, but what he said was incredibly influential.

He was going to a good school that wasn't very expensive. As an actuary, he would walk into a field that required nothing more than a bachelor's degree. I accompanied him when he met with his advisor before he year started (which I was surprised the advisor let me do), and that is when everything changed. The advisor, an 30-something-year-old, had been in the field of actuarial science for over ten years. He joined academia to get his summers off and longer breaks to spend with his children. But what did he say?

By the time many of that college's graduates turned 28, they were making nearly six figures.
After several years with a company, many of the graduates had a work-from-home day each week. Maybe even two.
The hours? 8-4:30 initially. Eventually the time spend at work would decrease to maybe 9-4:30 as the worker proved their capabilities.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the expected job growth for actuaries was 26%.

I was shocked. "How could a four-year degree offer such a fantastic salary, lifestyle, and job growth?" That is a question I asked myself, and continued to ask myself long after the meeting ended.

No, this is not my plug for actuarial science. This is my plug against medicine. (Although actuarial science is indeed a fantastic field.)

Lifestyle

I don't feel like explaining this. You all know what I'm talking about, you're knowledgable on this subject. The best explanation I can offer is through this link. If you pay attention to anything in this thread, please pay attention to this link.

All of you know that debt sucks, and doctors have a lot of it. I'm not going to re-explain what all of you (should) already know. Salary and legislation on the other: How many of you realize that reimbursement for doctors is on the decline? How many of you know that in states like Minnesota, access to specialized doctors is being limited to a certain number of visits per year? Simple economics says that if you have less clients, you will receive less money. Hospitals won't be able to afford the large salaries of specialized physicians when the services of the physicians aren't being paid for as they were before.

Couple that with the increasing cost of schooling and you get a profession where the graduates end up in a very regrettable field.

The Result of Your Life

At age 22, my friend will end his schooling with a grand total of <$25k in debt. He will start anywhere between $50k and $65k, and in just a few years be making nearly $100k. If I stayed on the medical path? I would potentially be in medical school, indirectly making myself an indentured servant to the big banks of America. If I wasn't so lucky? I would become one of the 57% who didn't make it into medical school, effectively wasting my undergrad years, slaving away at shadowing, volunteering, incredibly difficult courses, and whatever else that could make me a good applicant.

At age 28, my friend was modest and fiscally responsible, he could be debt free. If not, he would have very little left to pay. Oh, and the company he's working at? Yeah, he's taken actuarial exams that have increased his pay by nearly double. His work has been stressful at times -- just like any profession -- but he's a lot less stressed than me, who is now worked 60-80 hours per week in a residency.

At age 34, I'm finally a licensed independent doctor. I'm freeeee- oh wait. No I'm not. I'm not even a little. I have roughly $200,000 in debt, and I'm still working arduous hours. My (dingus) friend? He's worked his way up in the company, or maybe he's found a better position and another company. He's making half as much as me. Ha! But wait -- he's been debt free for years, and he's able to focus on other things, like his 401k, retirement, and his house.

You see, at age 25, my buddy would be going out to the bars and getting nice dinners with dates and friends and coworkers. He would be living up his 20's in a STEM profession (mathematics, specifically) that is netting him an above-average salary that's increasing every year.

Do I want to wait until I'm in my 30's to begin my life? Do I want to wait fifteen years to join a field that may or may not be what I expected? Do I want to put myself into such unforgivable debt that it won't be until my 40's that I will be free, yet in a field that may be declining in reimbursement and still hard hours?

Am I saying that you should get a job as an actuary? Hell no. If that's not what you want, then don't do it. It's just an example. What I am saying? Take it from the guy in that link: Medicine probably isn't going to end up being the ideal profession you expect it to be. There are a lot of better alternatives.

I think there are two main flaws in your story.
1) Most of what you know about medicine was read on the internet... so it sounds like you have little exposure to the realities (both good and bad) of medicine.
2) You assume a job at a top insurance firm for all graduating actuaries. I expect realistic salaries are more in the $45-65k range until you have 5-10 yrs experience... which, don't get me wrong, is pretty decent.

You're 18 and finishing your first semester of college. It's great that you have a plan and an idea of where to go, but many of us are 10+ years farther down the road than you are and have experience in multiple fields... So yes, there are good parts and bad parts to medicine, but thankfully the good outweighs the bad for a lot of us! I personally think medicine beats the hell out of sitting at a desk all day. :)

I tried to tell myself the same thing (in regards to actuarial salary). I thought that my friend was BS-ing me, and that medicine was surely the superior field. As shown in this link, that is simply not the case. Actuaries are making fantastic gains in the early years of the careers, and according to the research shown, those gains continue to grow.

I'm probate for telling off this conceited chemistry whiz

I'm not saying people should go into med for the wrong reasons, I'm saying that the sort of person who has to seriously weigh actuary vs MD may still choose the latter for the big $$ nice lifestyle specialties. If what you care about is work schedule, and making enough to take care of debt and still get that nice house and car, there are places in the world of medicine that may still be attractive.
I was really, really confused by your link because I 'Ignore'd that jackhat so long ago I almost forgot who that description would refer to. As soon as I revealed the posts I didn't even bother reading to see how he'd pissed you off, because I already knew exactly what you were feeling after reading his posts. I don't think he's capable of posting without causing that reaction.

I'm not knocking your decision, and honestly I think you made the right choice. However, I don't want you to think that $100k/year is a lot of money. It seems like a lot when you're young, because you're basically making zero now. When you have a house and a family though, it's not very much, unless your wife is making a similar amount. I personally made roughly $100k/year for the last couple of years. It's certainly not a surgeon's lifestyle, that's for sure.

I thought that it was common knowledge that med students and residents lacked both money and time. While the med student spends his weekends studying, and while the resident spends his weeks and/or weekends working, the actuary or investment banker is maintaining a good lifestyle with a good salary.

Again, I want to reemphasize what I send very early on in my post: Medicine is not a bad field, in and of itself. But if what you want out of your career is good money and a good lifestyle, medicine is not ideal. Sacrifice and debt is the name of the game in the medical world, and -- to tie that back together with your post -- that includes your twenties.

Yeah. Not so much, really. The people who work in finance and make any kind of good money work long hours at stressful jobs.

There aren't any jobs that pay a lot of money, are not stressful, and provide good lifestyle.

Yeah. Not so much, really. The people who work in finance and make any kind of good money work long hours at stressful jobs.

There aren't any jobs that pay a lot of money, are not stressful, and provide good lifestyle.

This is the kind of "reassurance" that I mentioned early on in my OP.

You're right: Every high-paying job is going to be stressful. But what you aren't mentioning is the fact that doctors have long hours and incredible debt to accompany that stress. While a finance major may be stressed about his work, he's not going to be working the horrible hours of a resident and some other doctors. He's (probably) not going to have the debt of a doctor.

I get it, you want to feel like medicine is worth it and that other people are going to have it just as hard as you. But they won't. Your false reassurance is only going to cause for regret years down the road.

I tried to tell myself the same thing (in regards to actuarial salary). I thought that my friend was BS-ing me, and that medicine was surely the superior field. As shown in this link, that is simply not the case. Actuaries are making fantastic gains in the early years of the careers, and according to the research shown, those gains continue to grow.

Yeah, but make sure that you'll actually enjoy the work before you jump head-first into it.

Yeah, but make sure that you'll actually enjoy the work before you jump head-first into it.

Absolutely. Just as a pre-med student shouldn't become a doctor for the sake of the money, a prospective actuary shouldn't become an actuary simply for the sake of money (or whatever shallow reasons accompany the desire).

This is the kind of "reassurance" that I mentioned early on in my OP.

You're right: Every high-paying job is going to be stressful. But what you aren't mentioning is the fact that doctors have long hours and incredible debt to accompany that stress. While a finance major may be stressed about his work, he's not going to be working the horrible hours of a resident and some other doctors. He's (probably) not going to have the debt of a doctor.

I get it, you want to feel like medicine is worth it and that other people are going to have it just as hard as you. But they won't. Your false reassurance is only going to cause for regret years down the road.

I'm not trying to convince you to go into medicine. In fact I think medicine is the last place you should be. Just don't have a too-rosy expectation for life after college and expect to live the high life with an undergrad degree in what you think is "the right field." There are lots of people with actuarial degrees working menial jobs, not making lots of money, etc. To succeed in any field you need to be smart, self-motivated, proactive, and willing to spend a lot of time doing things that other people aren't willing to do.

That's really what success is about, in general: being sufficiently smart and willing to do things other people don't.

Beautiful.

To succeed in any field you need to be smart, self-motivated, proactive, and willing to spend a lot of time doing things that other people aren't willing to do.

That's really what success is about, in general: being sufficiently smart and willing to do things other people don't.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to convince you to go into medicine. In fact I think medicine is the last place you should be. Just don't have a too-rosy expectation for life after college and expect to live the high life with an undergrad degree in what you think is "the right field." There are lots of people with actuarial degrees working menial jobs, not making lots of money, etc. To succeed in any field you need to be smart, self-motivated, proactive, and willing to spend a lot of time doing things that other people aren't willing to do.

You are absolutely right there: Having too rosy of an expectation for whatever field you go into is bad. That's kind of what this thread is about. And, as you said, that also applies to me with whatever field I end up choosing. As for your final statement: I couldn't have said that any better myself. You are absolutely right.

I don't, however, know where you got the fact that "lots of people with actuarial degrees [work] menial jobs, not making lots of money." I mean, you're likely not to become incredibly wealthy, but there's a reason why actuarial science is a STEM degree, and why STEM graduates do so well.

I'm glad SDN could help you realize that you shouldn't be pursuing medicine. It's not about the money or prestige, and anyone going into the field for either of those things will be sorely disappointed. However, there's no reason to be so condescending about it. Most of us on SDN are aware of these challenges but have chosen medicine anyway.

EDIT: In fact, money and prestige is a pretty shallow reason to go into any field, true or not.

Last edited:
I chuckle as I begin writing this post. I laugh not because medicine is a bad field in and of itself, but rather because of how medicine is changing, and also because of how medicine isn't changing. If you feel the need to comment on this post to reassure yourself that the decision to pursue medicine is the "right" endeavor for you, feel free. I understand: I did the same thing for many years. In fact, I'm not even writing this to dissuade aspiring doctors. I'm writing this just to get my voice out there.

Lifestyle

The Result of Your Life

You are a college freshman, likely around 18 years of age. Your opinion is based on your personal preference and money. Unfortunately, you seem to lack perspective to understand that life is not all about money and that money does not bring happiness. I hope noone reads your post too seriously. Good luck with your future plans.

Reactions: 7 users
You are a college freshman, likely around 18 years of age. Your opinion is based on your personal preference and money. Unfortunately, you seem to lack perspective to understand that life is not all about money and that money does not bring happiness. I hope noone reads your post too seriously. Good luck with your future plans.

I apologize if I came off condescending and all-knowing, because I really didn't mean to. I just wanted to offer a unique perspective on the information I've gathered in the past four or so years, and especially the information I've gathered as of late.

I guess that's actually the point of my thread. Life isn't all about money, and a lot of people who go into medicine do so simply for the money and prestige, and just a little bit because they like the field.

Yeah, debt and long work hours suck sometimes, but I've honestly never felt happier and more fulfilled than I am right now in medical school and when I'm out at the clinics and in the hospital working with patients. It's not for everyone, but it's definitely not an endeavor worth shying away just because it seems daunting. To each their own, I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users

As someone who worked in banking before med school, I can tell you that you easily can work 80+ hour weeks. There is a work hard play hard mentality in banking, but that can exist in any high stress job. Ibanking in itself is an incredibly competitive field and also not as sexy as it is made out to be.

Medicine is not for everyone, just as finance or law isn't either. In the end you should pursue what you think you will enjoy doing for the rest of your life. If you have truly figured out what that is, then I applaud you for making the tough decisions.

Reactions: 4 users
... and why STEM graduates do so well.
Because you can do so much with just a degree in biology, zoology, math, physics, microbiology, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't, however, know where you got the fact that "lots of people with actuarial degrees [work] menial jobs, not making lots of money." I mean, you're likely not to become incredibly wealthy, but there's a reason why actuarial science is a STEM degree, and why STEM graduates do so well.

I know a lot of them. I used to work for the government in bank and insurance regulation.

You don't seem to have any real-world exposure to medicine or finance, which is not unexpected. I strongly suggest to all young people that they get some exposure to various fields they're interested in before committing to them. I suggest the same to you.

Reactions: 3 users
As someone who worked in banking before med school, I can tell you that you easily can work 80+ hour weeks. There is a work hard play hard mentality in banking, but that can exist in any high stress job. Ibanking in itself is an incredibly competitive field and also not as sexy as it is made out to be.

Medicine is not for everyone, just as finance or law isn't either. In the end you should pursue what you think you will enjoy doing for the rest of your life. If you have truly figured out what that is, then I applaud you for making the tough decisions.

I'm curious: What kind of banking work did you do prior to going to school for medicine? That is a perspective I do want to hear. :)

I know a lot of them. I used to work for the government in bank and insurance regulation.

You don't seem to have any real-world exposure to medicine or finance, which is not unexpected. I strongly suggest to all young people that they get some exposure to various fields they're interested in before committing to them. I suggest the same to you.

Would you be willing to give a timeline of your years in school for banking, the degree you got, and then the age at which you went back for pre-med and then med school work? And what made you change your mind?

Would you be willing to give a timeline of your years in school for banking, the degree you got, and then the age at which you went back for pre-med and then med school work? And what made you change your mind?

I did not personally have a banking or finance-related job. I worked in IT (datacenter and network management), and I did it without a college degree.