Why I want to become a doctor - Is this Ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great, now you've invited all the ****** bio-majors to chime in with, "But I reeeeeaaaaalllly want to help people!!!!!"

"Help people". Just once I'd like a premed to explain to me what the f*ck they think that means, and what the f*ck they think that has to do with the practice of medicine.

But the thing is I'd venture to guess that if you asked anyone to tell the real reason they wrote that, they'd tell you its because its what an adcom tell you that that's what they want to hear.

Members don't see this ad.

All of a sudden, it seems that there are tons of easy careers that make ten times the money doctors make.

It's not that there are "all of a sudden" tons of easy careers that make ten times more. It's that if you are going to work hard enough to become a doctor, with the same rigorous work ethic, you could achieve much more (financially) in another field.

So no, these aren't easy careers, but they are within the grasp of a student diligent enough to get into medical school.

"Help people". Just once I'd like a premed to explain to me what the f*ck they think that means, and what the f*ck they think that has to do with the practice of medicine.

The concept of "helping people" is often considered a BS notion because many people believe that helping others is a purely altruistic desire.

This isn't the case. There is a very real mental reward for helping somebody out.

Have you ever opened the door for someone? Picked up a book somebody dropped? Do you ever plan surprise parties for your friends, or give your girlfriend unexpected flowers?

Have you ever put a penny in the "Have a penny, leave a penny, need a penny, take a penny" plate? Have you ever given a homeless guy your change?

Are these actions purely selfless? I think not. I think many people feel very good about performing such acts simply for the knowledge that they know they've been useful to someone, and that "good" feeling is repayment in and of itself. It feels good to do something and cause someone else, even a complete stranger, to smile with sincere gratitude.

So yes. "Helping people" is a very valid reason to go into medicine. On the other hand, the reason why it's not a good way to sell yourself to admissions committees is that "helping people" is what every profession does. From trash disposal, to restaurant service, to law, to tech support, to the medical profession. Anything you get paid for is usually something that involves helping others.

So if you really don't like helping others, then really no job is for you.

[Cartman voice] God, I hate you guys so much [/voice]

God forbid anyone take a job for a good salary and security. Don't be pissed because your med school spot was taken by someone that YOU don't think is worthy.

come onnnnn... laughhhhh :)

it was meant as an extreme analogy to make the guy think, not to be a jerk.