Why is anesthesia so popular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbmd

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is anesthesia so popular now? Is it the money perception? Is it the lifestyle perception? Why?

I wouldn't argue against the money. We make a living. But lifestyle? Look in the hospital parking lot after midnight. Chances are you'll see an anesthesiologist's car parked there more often than other specialties.

Go figure.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a combo of things, liking the work is first, and then the life/$ benefits. I'm sure Mil would agree if he were still around, but it seems people want to work less, and get paid more.

1. Time: Your time OUT of work is protected... except for a mass emergency (eg. N.O. katrina). What most people don't realize is that you still typically work a lot. In fact, most attendings are averaging 60 hrs/wk where I'm at.

2. $$: most people don't understand the units system of billing. They see us checking up on CRNA's, or if solo, then chilling behind the drape. This leads them to believe that we work less while at work, but I think if you take the amount of work at induction/emergence and space it out over the entire operation then you work just as much as anyone else, and your "hourly" rate may be the same as most other specialities. I look at rounding on 30 floor patients as equivalent to 5-6 induction/emergences. This doesn't include things like emergencies, blood loss, coag issues, so again the hourly i think balances if distributed properly.

I can only speak for myself, but for me if I couldn't do anesthesiology, there's not even a close second.

Some lifestyle reasons I chose anesthesia were little to no clinic and no rounds. I love being in the OR but wouldn't ever do surgery. I like my life and family too much. Lifestyle isn't just perceived, it's fact. Working 60 hrs as an anesthesiologist is different than 60 hrs as a surgeon. When you're a surgeon, you're a surgeon whether you're on or off. Most anesthesiologists I know wouldn't say the same. Nobody stops you in the grocery store to ask your advice about their recent hernia repair. (Or cholesterol if you're their family doc).

High yield, short term, one-on-one relationships are my bag, and I haven't found that combo in any other field in medicine.

I also love physiology and the fact that anesthesiology allows you to primarily use your brain like a medicine doc, while getting paid for the procedures like a surgeon.

The only downside for me is the political uncertainty, mid-level provider issues and reimbursement instability. But show me a field that doesn't have those in one way or another, or equivalent difficulties.

Anesthesia is just a good fit, and I'd sooner go back to being a paramedic than have to spend the rest of my life doing OB or psych.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just really wanted to do critical care. I spent alot of time debating between medicine and anesthesia. While I really loved pulm/cc I realized it was going to be a year quicker to go through anesthesia. Another perk of going this way is that I could alternate weeks i am in the OR versus the unit. Now to find a residency spot.....lol

Anesthesiologists are cool and I wanna be one of them :D I like OR, I don't like surgery, plus no matter what people say, money can't be that bad, can it? ;) And time? What doctor works little and makes lots? derm? But derm is just not exciting... hehe

I agree with what everyone says on this thread, except climbingdocs (who's in for a rude awakening re: the amount of work done).

-copro

For me it was between medicine and anesthesia. At that time I said if I did medicine I would do critical care. I did a 4 week MICU rotation followed by 4 weeks of Anesthesia.

At the end of the day I was happiest in anesthesia. Unlike MICU, I wasn't in a rush to get home at the end of the day, and I looked forward to coming in. That was the deciding factor for me. Once you make up your mind, your brain eventually fills in the rest of the stuff that you like about anesthesia.

I tried to post a continuation, but somehow it didn't show up. What I wanted to list were some specific things I think that make anesthesia popular.

1. Going home in the morning -- no staying around for 2 hour rounds and signouts.

2. Large skill set in terms of procedures.

3. Broad knowledge base -- peds, medicine, ob/gyn, psych, etc.

4. The fact that we can provide an anesthetic to anyone in life's spectrum -- from the NICU baby to pregnant patient to the 100+ year old patient. From the essentially healthy patient to the extremely sick patient.

5. Short but intense relationships with the patients. You don't have to follow them long term. The occasional thank you on post-op checks is always nice.

6. Related to the above -- no clinic duty, except as a resident when I occasionally have to go to pain clinic or PAT.

I agree with what everyone says on this thread, except climbingdocs (who's in for a rude awakening re: the amount of work done).

-copro

ooo I didn't mean that there is little work, I know about long hours. I am saying that whatever doctor you are you will work a lot, so may as well like what you do (for me anest).