Why is dermpath so attractive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrismander

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a thread on here awhile ago to the effect "why do dermpaths think they're so hot?"

My question, as a naive MS-3, is why the field of dermpath is so hot? Someone on another thread mentioned that Dermatologists have an easier time getting in than Pathologists--my question is why it would be (relatively) popular with Derm dudes at all. Are these just guys who found out in residency that they hated clinical medicine and used dermpath as a career change? Or is there something in the job that would make it desirable to Derms?

And lots of pathologists on this board seem interested in dermpath, or mention that it's a hot/desirable field. It sounds like the path equivalent of cardiology or something. I guess I must be missing something. I mean, I thought skin histology was pretty interesting in first year, but I seriously doubt that's the right answer here. Do skin biopsies require dermpath-trained dudes to be signed off or something? Couldn't any boarded pathologist look at all the skin biopsies for his hospital / HMO or whatever? Is the reimbursement higher for skin biopsies for some reason?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Three words.

Money, cash, and payola.

djmd said:
Three words.

Money, cash, and payola.

Essentially, the details are FAR more complex...and life is in the details.

Members don't see this ad :)
LADoc00 said:
Essentially, the details are FAR more complex...and life is in the details.

The details of the specimen / pathology, you mean? are you saying that dermpath is more complex & intellectually satisfying than other areas?

And to the previous poster: why is dermpath so lucrative? if a skin biopsy is just another path sample to look at and bill for, what makes this particular nook of path so lucrative that DERMATOLOGISTS would abandon their practices for this? do insurance companies reimburse for skin differently?

thanks for shedding light on this--
Chris

Chrismander said:
The details of the specimen / pathology, you mean? are you saying that dermpath is more complex & intellectually satisfying than other areas?

And to the previous poster: why is dermpath so lucrative? if a skin biopsy is just another path sample to look at and bill for, what makes this particular nook of path so lucrative that DERMATOLOGISTS would abandon their practices for this? do insurance companies reimburse for skin differently?

thanks for shedding light on this--
Chris

No it is because you can look at 100 skin lesions a day and sign them out much more easily than 100 breast biopsies.

Dermpath is by far the most complex are satisfying area of pathology

and lastly God is in the details (i think is the quote)

dermpathlover said:
and lastly God is in the details (i think is the quote)

The Devil is in the details.

But yes the orginal quote is God I believe, but I like the other one, at least that sounds better in english.