Why is Edrophonium used as a diagnostic test for MG but not as a Tx?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zona Pellucida

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious as to why only "-stigmine" drugs were used for treatment when Edrophonium is also an Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor (which provides relief during the diagnostic test)...?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing some small detail. Apologies if this is a dumb question (Yes, I [briefly] tried Google first).

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Curious as to why only "-stigmine" drugs were used for treatment when Edrophonium is also an Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitor (which provides relief during the diagnostic test)...?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing some small detail. Apologies if this is a dumb question (Yes, I [briefly] tried Google first).

Thanks !

Short acting - would need to take it several times per day for tx.

The half life of edrophonium is <30 min.. It's literally only good to see a very brief relief of symptoms in the clinic just long enough to make the diagnosis. Neostigmine is the longer halflife and treatment one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not trying to be super nit picky but the preferred treatment is pyridostigmine these days.

Edrophonium's notably used in the tensilon test to Dx MG. Giving the drug mitigates the Sx of MG, as everyone else has already said.

In contrast, with the muscle contraction excitation test, MG gets worse but Lambert-Eaton gets better.

Also edrophonium can be used for dosage adjustments in patients on other longer-acting anticholinesterases -- i.e. if their dose is too low (in addition to its use for diagnosis of myasthenia gravis)

The above is a very useful advice. My professor spoke of dosage adjustment using Edrophonium. If the Tensilon test dramatically improves the MG symptoms of a patient that is under treatment, the treatment needs to intensify.

The above is a very useful advice. My professor spoke of dosage adjustment using Edrophonium. If the Tensilon test dramatically improves the MG symptoms of a patient that is under treatment, the treatment needs to intensify.

They should make a Step 1 question about this! Pathophysiology of myasthenia is so complex yet logical.

Last edited: