Why is everyone so negative

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sloth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it really that bad? Are we really all looking down the barel of a rifel? Or are we all kind of exagerating the severity of Healthcare / America's future?

I'm referring to the overall negative and hum-drum tone nearly everyone has about the future of anything in this country or health field.

What's the deal!? Why is everyone acting like it's the end of the world and theres just no reason to continue to persue anything with the school loan bubble, the lack of quality education, the impending goverment downfall, the decreasing American dollar, our debt cieling.

Isn't there always this negative stuff to deal with? And just because we are now the generation to deal with it, it feels like it's worse now than ever, isn't that just because its 'US' now that is dealing with it? Everyone always seems worse when it happens to you. We can look at starvation and feel sad about it, but if it happens to us personally it's an epidemic.

Aren't we all being a little over the top? Maybe not... ?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it really that bad? Are we really all looking down the barel of a rifel? Or are we all kind of exagerating the severity of Healthcare / America's future?

I'm referring to the overall negative and hum-drum tone nearly everyone has about the future of anything in this country or health field.

What's the deal!? Why is everyone acting like it's the end of the world and theres just no reason to continue to persue anything with the school loan bubble, the lack of quality education, the impending goverment downfall, the decreasing American dollar, our debt cieling.

Isn't there always this negative stuff to deal with? And just because we are now the generation to deal with it, it feels like it's worse now than ever, isn't that just because its 'US' now that is dealing with it? Everyone always seems worse when it happens to you. We can look at starvation and feel sad about it, but if it happens to us personally it's an epidemic.

Well, I would tend to agree. My parents lived through the depression and WWII, plus subsequent wars. My father-in-law was in WWII in D-day, the battle of the Bulge, and the liberation of Dachau. Our standard of living (in terms of food, living space, entertainment) is arguably better. But we have lived in better times in our lifetime, so this comes as a surprise.

Oldiebutgoodie

Well, I would tend to agree. My parents lived through the depression and WWII, plus subsequent wars. My father-in-law was in WWII in D-day, the battle of the Bulge, and the liberation of Dachau. Our standard of living (in terms of food, living space, entertainment) is arguably better. But we have lived in better times in our lifetime, so this comes as a surprise.

Oldiebutgoodie

Thanks for your reply.

Though I agree previous generations had it tougher than we have in terms of what we have for luxery. But, my question was meant more towards why are people so down about job aspects. No matter what forums you go to, IT, Health, Engineering, Physics/Bio/Chem, etc etc, everyone says there are no jobs and everythings saturated and it's the end of the world as we know it.

Members don't see this ad :)
But I feel fine. ;)

Six o'clock. TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign tower. Slash and burn,
return, listen to yourself churn. Lock him in uniform and book burning,
blood letting.

R.......E.......M......

Six o'clock. TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign tower. Slash and burn,
return, listen to yourself churn. Lock him in uniform and book burning,
blood letting.

R.......E.......M......

"...Leonard Bernstein...!" :D

Yes, its that bad. IMO. Never in the history of the US has it been faced with the scenario before it. What I mean is the failing dollar specifically. Yes, we've had "depressions" and "recessions" before. However, when the WORLD no longer feels that the current world reserve currency is worth a damn, i.e. the US dollar, the us economy becomes a house of cards. Why would they think this? Because we as a country, the US, spend more than we produce, and the government continues to devalue the dollar to make up for it. There comes a point where the World looses faith. What do think stock market traders do when they realize that their trade is a POS, and they're down 10%? They sell their positions, which causes the stock to fall further. In our case, fall meaning a crash.

The Chinese Yuan will likely become the new world reserve currency. When this happens (and everyday its more and more "when" and not "if"), the cost of living will skyrocket here in the US. The same thing happened to Germany under the Weimar Republic. People were taking wheel-barrow loads of money just so they could buy bread. Also, most people don't know that the same thing that is facing the US, faced England in the 1970s, and guess what, they had the same thing. No jobs, three day work weeks, no power at night, reading by candle light. This happened for a decade in England due to outrageous inflation. I think Yugoslavia had a similar fate, but it was far worse there due to inflation, and they weren't even a world reserve currency holder.

To make it worse, US government spending has skyrocketed. And the new health reform can't work in our current economic state. We can't afford anything as a country. Its bad for the healthcare professional, and worse for the patient, especially seniors. We are broke, yet we are spending more than we ever have before as a country, digging the whole ever so deeper.

BTW, jobs are worse than what is reported. Its not 9.2% unemployment, its closer to 20%! 1 out of 5 people are without a job. Its bad folks. We younger people will pay for the last 40 to 50 years of irresponsibility, and YOU should be pissed off!

Thanks for your reply.

Though I agree previous generations had it tougher than we have in terms of what we have for luxery. But, my question was meant more towards why are people so down about job aspects. No matter what forums you go to, IT, Health, Engineering, Physics/Bio/Chem, etc etc, everyone says there are no jobs and everythings saturated and it's the end of the world as we know it.

Don't worry as we'll revolt next year and you'll have something to do.

We have faced difficulties before, whether it was staring down a world power with a makeshift army, fighting with our neighbors to preserve the union, or facing the ultimate evil in Nazi Germany. Every time, we have found a way to recover. The issues we face today certainly aren't easy, with rough job numbers and a struggling economy. However, that certainly doesn't mean we can't overcome our struggles once again. Don't lose hope, and don't waste your life worrying about these kinds of things. If you spend your life by solely paying attention to these types of things, you waste your time and live a miserable life.

In my personal opinion, the biggest difficulty that we face today is the fact that very few people truly empathize with other people. Politicians are willing to attack their rivals simply to retain their positions, dictators and totalitarian rulers are willing to slaughter their citizens simply to keep power, businessmen gamble with other peoples' money, and neighbors will endlessly argue with each other over politics and such without paying any regard to the other person's viewpoints. Compromise isn't a possibility anymore, and it's only used as an empty slogan.

Now I'll step off the soapbox.