Honestly, I think PBL/TBL is inefficient, but that's just me. I think what you are supposed to learn in medical school is how to internalize material quickly and efficiently REGARDLESS of whatever situation you are in. Medicine is stressful and there is often not enough time to think things over.
It's much better to internalize the material using whatever method you like (Pathoma, FA, Sketchy, or my favorite, Anki) and then show up to the TBL already having learned as much as you can. I feel like medical school is like going to the gym. There are things that are available and resources that are there, but that may not work for everyone. To the extent you want to "workout" and get strong is up to you mostly. If TBL works, then use TBL. If it doesn't, find another resource and use that efficiently.
But always remember to learn things sooner rather than later.