Why is the MSPE released so late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school, and others, doesn't release the MSPE until November 1st. Other than waiting for your Board scores, why do they wait so long? Wouldn't it be ideal for the site to have this on September 1st when they are making interview decisions?

Members don't see this ad.

My school, and others, doesn't release the MSPE until November 1st. Other than waiting for your Board scores, why do they wait so long? Wouldn't it be ideal for the site to have this on September 1st when they are making interview decisions?

A lot of programs don't make interview decisions until the MSPE is out. For example... according tot he latest program director survey on the NRMP website, 70% of orthopaedic surgery programs extend 0%! of their interview slots prior to the MSPE being released. It probably varies by specialty, but you can look that up for yourself.

MSPEs come out from every school in the country on November 1st. And a lot of programs wait for these to offer interviews.

I think part of the reason is so they can include some 4th year grades in the MSPE. Some schools don't start 4th year until July and it would be difficult to allow students to complete a SubI, get the grades in and include it in the MSPE if they released them on September 1.